+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shouldn't Raid Rifts be in between Experts and Raids?

Rift Master

Default Shouldn't Raid Rifts be in between Experts and Raids?

Like the title says, I could have sworn at one point in the game (might have been very long ago?) Raid Rifts were meant to "bridge the gap" between Expert dungeons and actual raids, and had slightly lower requirements (e.g. if you needed 200 Hit at the time for a T1 raid, a T1 RR required 150 Hit, halfway between Experts at 100 and Raids at 200, so you were meant to do it while you were gearing up from Experts but before you were actually ready for the raid), but this doesn't seem to be the case and you still need 400 Hit for a Raid Rift which is far easier than a real raid (although to be fair it doesn't drop nearly as much loot).

It seems to me that the Raid Rifts should have been the stepping stone that you use before going into the first tier of raiding, as opposed to be some kind of hybrid alternative to coordinated raids, so you didn't just have a boolean choice (i.e. Hit > 400? True: Go to raids; False: Run experts), and the logical progression becomes:

Ding 60 > IS Gear > Experts > Raid Rifts > Raids

This would make more sense since the old Expert Rifts were taken out as well and replaced with Hunt Rifts (but Hunt Rifts aren't quite the same thing), so you basically are stuck grinding out Experts for that gap between 300 and 400 hit or whatever. Raid Rifts with slightly lower requirements to the real raids would be a good "Hey you can't do raids yet but here's something besides Experts to use to gear up" in between step.

Thoughts?

Plane Walker

They're in the same niche as the old RRs, I don't think the reqs were different in the past i.e. T1 raid ready hit/tough but the heal/dps requirements being less than the instanced raids. In fact the SL RRs are far far easier than in chocolate. Also, r5 hunt rifts drop expert quality gear. As for drops, they are in line with SL since they took a huge nerfbat across the board if not the final boss of an instance. 10 man bosses are dropping one piece, 20 man two pieces; two drops from the RR is in line with that, nevermind that this will compound drop RNG issues with drops but I guess they REALLY wanted to gear gate evrything.
    Last edited by Gyftov; 12-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Rift Master

Think of it this way....

DING!
    Level up!

Experts
    Get the gear

RR
    Use the gear to hone your skills in a basic raid setting

Raids
    Use the gear you got, plus the skills you learned to fight challenging fights

If you like, Raid Rifts are the stepping stone between experts and raids insomuch as they are more demanding than experts and simpler than raids.

I find they fit their purpose.

Course, those damn expensive lures.....
    Last edited by KarthosNZ; 12-16-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Telaran

while everything you say gear wise is techinically correct about the old raid rifts - what made them interesting for raiders was that they were the best source for epic lessers for a very long time. sure the gear served as an extra boost to that one recruit that wasn't quite geared out yet - but we ran daily raid rifts for a very long time just looking for the epic lessers.

From what I have seen of the level 5 hunts and raid rifts so far all though i will admit to limited experience - they seem to serve the same agenda.

and while you need 400 hit to not miss there is nothing saying a few of your members cant be at 360-380, especially healers... it just means they will do less dps.

Quote Originally Posted by KarthosNZ View Post
    If you like, Raid Rifts are the stepping stone between experts and raids insomuch as they are more demanding than experts and simpler than raids.
    This particular tidbit is flat out wrong.

You can bring as many people as you'd like to these raid rifts to help and there is practically zero chance of losing the lure unless your guys are severely undergeared.

DPS Died? Respawn, walk back, continue. Healer died? Don't worry, you have 5 more sitting around.

Tank died? s'aaaalright. You've got another tank or two. Wrong spec? run out of the rift, swap to whatever you want~

... and the list goes on.

The old raid rifts were harder during their time. The new raid rifts are so under-tuned for what it should be. You can do all of them with one tank, one healer and maybe one support... provided you have enough dps to drop them in the extremely generous 15 minute timed stages.

Edit: From the perspective of any guild who has done any raiding in SL at all, even if its just the 10 mans or one boss of the 20 mans.
    Last edited by MoonfireSpam; 12-17-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

The raid rifts are in fact much easier then a true raid. Not to the extreme that the poster above me is trying to portray, but true enough in that you can respawn/swap and your chances of not completing the Raid Rift is very low.

Due to the zerg factor you also don't need everyone to be Tier ready, which is great for guilds with only a handful of folks actually ready. This gives another avenue of advancement and allows guilds something else that is large scale and social to do each day and week.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Rift Master

That was kind of my reason for asking. I'm currently sitting at 355 Hit or thereabouts and running Experts (but having terrible luck. It's all been Leather) and farming Infinity Stones to finish gearing up to that magic 400. It would be nice if there was something else for me to do besides Experts or Dailies/Carnage/Onslaughts/Events. There are Hunt rifts and I go when my higher-ranked guildmates open them (I haven't even finished Great Hunt #1 yet so I can't buy the lures) but that's not super often.

Plane Walker

Actually, looking at the drops today, they are exactly the same equivalent stat-wise to T1 raids, NOT in betweens. The slots that drop appear to be gloves, belt and boots.

A pug raid rift is easier than a pug expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    The raid rifts are in fact much easier then a true raid. Not to the extreme that the poster above me is trying to portray, but true enough in that you can respawn/swap and your chances of not completing the Raid Rift is very low.

Due to the zerg factor you also don't need everyone to be Tier ready, which is great for guilds with only a handful of folks actually ready. This gives another avenue of advancement and allows guilds something else that is large scale and social to do each day and week.
    It most certainly -is- as easy as I'm trying to portray it.

The only thing you can't do using one tank and one healer is to pull everything in the multi-mob phases.

But they can be pulled in small packs anyway, in amounts healable by a solo healer.

The dps requirement for those bosses, with 15 minute phases, is ridiculously low. it takes 23k dps to kill something with 20 million hp in 15 minutes. That's two well geared dps.

Seems to me the absolute minimum required to do a raid rift is maybe a party of 5. Only reason why this wouldn't happen is because of the cost of the lures themselves, not because of the contents of the lures.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

+ Reply to Thread