+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deterred From Healing Anymore

Shadowlander

Default Deterred From Healing Anymore

Just spent 2 hours in Expert Golem Foundry, main healing on my cleric. Made it to the last boss with maybe one or two wipes. Then the last boss we wiped probably 10-15 times. Maybe 2-3 of those my fault as I was trying to cast a heal and got caught by a rotary. The group then vote kicked me with no warning. Really makes me angry that as a healer you automatically get blamed for the group not following mechanics properly. It's a hard fight and yes out of the 13 attempts I died 2 or three times, but the other ten i saved everyone's butt multiple times from them ignoring mechanics, and would have healed it right to the end no problem.

Long story short it's instances like this that make me never want to heal, i put two hours of my time into something and i just get kicked because someone blamed me and put up a vote. Has anyone else experienced this harsh fate when trying your best and giving your group a great chance of completing the dungeon?

Q'ing as DPS takes so long I thought I would heal to help out the lacking role , but not if it's like this

Rift Disciple

The healer* is the one that carries the group. Not the tank. Not the dps. Even if all DPS died, they could respawn then run back.

*Unless the tank is just plain bad.
    Last edited by magisbladius; 12-14-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Man's Laughter doesn't attack the tank during Rotary Canon, so if you get targetted, you can still cast instant heals on the tank while running, or mana up during the peaceful downtime.

Often, whenever a pug group I'm in there with wipes, it's when we get Grapplebotted into mines. This is more a fault of RNG and positioning more than raw healing output, though even as a Sentinel I've not had much difficulty in topping the group up during Grapplebot. What I'll typically do during Rotary, is I'll run over and pop the mines if they are active, since individually they hit for 1-2k and are easily healed through.

As for Rotary, I'll save Healing Breath to heal through a single tick, just in cade they were a second slow on moving, but I won't waste a TtL+Crucial to save asleep DPSers.

Before the fight, I tell the DPS that "If you die to Rotary, run back in" and it usually goes fairly smooth from there. Also, cleanse that DoT...
    Last edited by Atropus; 12-14-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Shadowlander

Yea i was cleansing the dot and was topping everyone fine, the aoe breath wiped us a few times, the pull into the mines did and the pull never happened sometimes and we just got stunned in place. Just sucks you get booted after so much effort.

Ah yeah. If the group was wiping to the breath, then either the DPS weren't killing Grapplebot fast enough, or the tank wasn't spinning the boss away before the breath went off. Neither problem could have been solved by you, and does not in any way reflect your performance as a healer. Don't be discouraged by bad pugs, because there is a lot of them.

That's the risk you take when running with PUGs. If you were playing with a guild then they wouldn't kick you and there'd be good communication.

I've found people have a difficult time grasping the anti-personnel cannon flamethrower timing. Once again, not much you can do about it - but the key is watching for his arm to drop, not the cast bar. The tank runs through (or thunderous leaps out if grapplebot wasn't killed) as soon as that downward animation starts.

The only really challenging moment for the healer would be 1. party derpage or 2. Havoc missile followed by immediate melee damage on the tank. That can be painful even with a CD.

I positively love the fight - it holds every player accountable, looks great, sounds cool, has an awesome environment, and it feels well executed. Probably the best 5 man boss in any MMO I've every played. It's a shame you had a bad experience, because taking him down the first time is quite satisfying.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Telaran

I feel your pain man, but please don't blame the instance. It's fun, challenging, and a wonderful relief from the tedium that has plagued rift experts since the first set of nerfs back in chocolate. It sounds to me that you had a crappy group. There's nothing you can do about that except try to be patient and explain the mechanics. In the end however, you need to except that when you pug instances you run the risk of playing with people who are bad/impatient/rude/clueless or some other combination of negative adjectives.

My advise is to stick in guild or make some friends in 60 chat that you can do stuff with regularly. This past month has been really great learning the new stuff, chatting it up with guildies in vent, etc. The fact that the instances have been so challenging I think has caused most of the increase in the social aspect for us (since you have to communicate to succeed right now).

There is absolutely no reason to get hit by even one tick of rotary assault cannon. It it the EASIEST mechanic to avoid in the Manslaughter fight. If anyone keep getting hit by it, sorry but they just plain suck. Not even a single heal is needed during the entire channel at all. There is a cast time before the channel starts. He will also 'point/look at' the person he will be targeting rotary assault canon at and you should be moving when he starts casting and not when the channel starts. If you are not sure who he is aiming, just start running when he starts the cast. No healing needed at all. Healing this fight solo is doable and with a support, it is easy and the only death that is 'hard' to avoid is the grapplebot pull if dps is too low.

Rift Disciple

I find Manslaughter to be one of the easiest fights there is, most of the mechanics are really simple to avoid. No one should -ever- die to Rotary, the boss turns slowly towards you before he even begins the channel, giving you plenty of time to run away and plenty of time during the channel to use instant casts to continue DPS or healing while he's distracted. The grapplebot has such low HP that even a single competent DPS could burst it down, in fact my elemental could easily solo it with a pet attack macro that I set up specifically for if the charge pulls me to an awkward location where I'm LOS to the bot. The mines have such low HP that our group got the achieve for not allowing them to arm without even trying.

This fight is a lesson in personal responsibility, its not even a HARD lesson either, there have certainly been much harder ones in previous content, unfortunately this fight is murder on pug groups with tunnel vision.

Just don't ignore mechanics and have a aoe spec blow up all the mines so you never have to move the boss.
    Last edited by Valfador; 12-15-2012 at 03:39 AM.
    0.3/8 ID 2.123/4 PF

Ascendant

Eh, it's always someone else's fault. Occasionally you get to be someone else.

Did you use support ?

That's why I never even bother trying to heal for pugs. Too many bad players that stand in bright glowy stuff then blame someone else for their stupidity. After playing MMOs for so many years, I am just tired of healing stupidity.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    The only really challenging moment for the healer would be 1. party derpage or 2. Havoc missile followed by immediate melee damage on the tank. That can be painful even with a CD.

I positively love the fight - it holds every player accountable, looks great, sounds cool, has an awesome environment, and it feels well executed. Probably the best 5 man boss in any MMO I've every played. It's a shame you had a bad experience, because taking him down the first time is quite satisfying.
    I agree, wonderful boss. Most SL bosses I find thoroughly enjoyable. With respect to Havoc Missile, the tank should immediately start running away from the boss so he doesn't suffer a melee attack immediately afterwards - you probably do this, but just throwing it out there in case any potential tanks are reading
    Raenryong@Deepwood R69 ~ Amathys@Zaviel (Rogue)
    Serefina@Deepwood R66 ~ Solserefina@Zaviel (Warrior)
    Seraena@Deepwood R80 ~ Seraena@Zaviel R70 (Cleric)
    Avalonia@Deepwood R66 ~ Avalonia@Zaviel (Mage)
    <Dauntless> ~ <Excellence>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast