+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Empyrean Core: Prince Kaliban (Expert)

Rift Master

Default Empyrean Core: Prince Kaliban (Expert)

Tried running this with guild mates, and we couldn't get this guy down. The largest problem was the trample. With our setup (1 rogue tank, 2 war tempests, 2 mages running chloro), we could not keep the warriors alive if they got targeted by the trample. No matter how far they ran, they would get hit for 18K, and be one shotted. And with no clerics in the group, there was no possibility to shield.

Tried a couple times to make it so that the target would get behind Kaliban after he emotes, but with the knock back, that wasn't a possibility. And no matter how far they ran, his ground splash would always hit him.

So what have people got? Were we just missing a mechanic, or is it just bugged and there's no way to avoid/mitigate the damage?

http://www.daphat.com/rift-guide-prince-kaliban/

I have a written strat here. I keep updating them as we play.

I'm pretty sure it's bugged. We've done it by just running straight at him to try to get behind, while a cleric shields the target. Without a cleric, I'm not sure what you'd do.

That said, when we did get caught by it, we weren't getting 1-shotted. Maybe the damage reduces the further from the impact point you get or something.

The other "feature" of that fight is that if the tank is charged, it wipes aggro. I don't know if this is a bug or intended, but this caused us a bit of grief when the tank was a little slow to taunt.

Edit: posted before seeing DaPhat's tactics. I guess that specific placement must work, but the way we were doing it, it seemed to be impossible to avoid the charge by running sideways.
    Last edited by DoomSprout; 12-12-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

The tank threat drop should be filed under "bug".

I've seen most groups just eat the charge as long as the members of the party have 18k+ HP.

You have to strafe either left or right right when you about to get trampled so that you get knocked back into the wall. This has worked and kept squishy mages alive back when we did this with terrible gear and low health pools compared to now.

You will always take damage but if you avoid getting landed on and move only when he is about to hit you you live with low health without the help of cleric shields. It's a complicated mechanic that takes practice to bull of but it's completely fine as long as people learn it and follow it.

If he tramples the tank he resets aggro. This isn't a bug and it shouldn't be it's just keeping the tank on his/her toes since most tanks can easily take the trample hit anyway.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Easiest thing is either having a cleric healer with that can ST shield someone for the jump. If thats not possible just use a dps specc that has defensive cooldowns like absorbs. (tempest, ranger, pyro etc.)

A 2-3k absorb shield will almost always save you.
    Member of Game Under.

Quote Originally Posted by daphat79 View Post
    http://www.daphat.com/rift-guide-prince-kaliban/

I have a written strat here. I keep updating them as we play.
    What was your composition? Did you have a Cleric Healer to put shields on?

I've always been able to mitigate the damage Trample does to myself as a chloro mage.

One time, though, my tank kept him in the middle of the room, simply running around the circle in the middle when the mushrooms spawned. Kaliban knocked everyone back, emoted me; I ran TO Kaliban, behind where he was standing, and took maybe 5k-ish damage when he landed on the Trample jump. Mind you, I was solo healing this as a mage, and I had no mitigation spells on me what so ever.

I dunno if it was just pure luck I didn't get myself slaughtered, or if the fight was bugged. I don't even know if this is the strat, but I would say give it a shot the next time you're in there.

e: typos. :P
    Last edited by Extrasens0ry; 12-12-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    The tank threat drop should be filed under "bug".

I've seen most groups just eat the charge as long as the members of the party have 18k+ HP.
    Aggro-dump is a valid boss mechanic. For this boss it's entirely predictable and easy to recover from.

I typically switch my 5% link to the target while putting up Symbol of the Torch, then hitting a Crucial Invocation after to top them off. Also, is Elixir supposed to pop for like 8k damage when cleansed? Because I find it easier to just heal through it rather than cleanse, but it might be intended.

Telaran

The damage on dispel is intended, and you're right, it's easier to just heal through it. As for the charge, it seems to me that the damage from the charge radiates from your character when he hits the wall, rather than from where you were when he targeted you. So if you run into the middle (to avoid having a container blown) and no one is around you it should just be you getting hit.

I play a cleric, so shielding is all I usually do (maybe a leisurely HB or something as we're coming back). For a Chloro I'm not sure you can do anything except what someone else already said and that's let them use a CD or something (or god forbid they put a point or two into a damage reduction talent, if possible).

I've not really looked at the damage numbers to see if the charge is consistently 18k damage, but there are other things the dps can do if they lack the gear to put them over that HP hump. I would start with revitalizing seed (or whatever the life-based rift consumable is). They give you something like 50-70 end for 15 min and are easy to get. You might also suggest they toss on a single tank piece if they aren't a mage. It sucks to have to do something like this for one fight, but 18k should be really easy to get with group buffs unless people are really undergeared (I think?).

I might just be totally off base. I can't really remember what gear I needed before getting more than 18k HP.

Rift Master

Chloros can hit 20K easy. However, most DPS classes in both warrior and rogue trees will leave you around 15K. You'd have to have a majority of your tank gear on to hit the 19K mark. Using consumable is an expert seems like overkill,

Didn't realize the pestilent elixir dealt damage upon cleanse. Thought it just did a heavy AoE tick.

Never had a problem with the agro dump when he targets the tank. Just something that keeps me on my toes.

For those that say that they managed to get behind him, where was he being tanked, and where were you when he does the knockback?. As it stands, I haven't found any spot where this would be viable without a port of some kind.

13.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #13

So the intent is NOT for you to die if you don't have a purifier shield and your targeted on expert.
    I'm going to be tuning this a bit so it won't insta-gib a non-tank if your at full health when it hits.

Not to troll a dev or anything but..."you're".

The one problem I have on this fight is getting a shield on the target. For some reason my groups tend to spread way out on the fight, causing us to get KBd in different directions and putting the target out of range.

As for reducing the damage, I like that it can one shot most people. This forces us to find a way to reduce the damage, be it puri shields or some encounter mechanic like running behind the boss. I think making the attack not OHKO would make the fight too easy and the attack no longer a real threat. It is too easy to avoid further damage, other than the dot, making it very easy to just heal the target back up at your leisure.

The padded helmet approach to killing Prince Kaliban (pug friendly):

1. Everyone except the tank stay wedged in between the first blue core and the wall
    2. Boss is tanked in the center of the room ensuring Wrath of the Beastlord doesn't point towards the stack point. Tank moves slightly each time a mushroom is dropped
    3. Person called for Trample, runs to the entrance with their back against the lockout wall. Only that person will take damage and it should not one-shot you
    4. After the Trample effect the person runs back to the wedge point. Tank needs to ensure they re-establish aggro when it's dumped
    5. Pestilential Elixer must be cleansed from the person that receives it
    6. Vitality Leech needs to be interrupted

Cores only rupture when someone is knocked back into them which is why you stay wedged between core and wall.

I've run a few pugs and guildies through here where most had not seen the fight and it was done in a few pulls with this approach.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast