+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am i the only one who thinks like this?

Telaran

Default Am i the only one who thinks like this?

There are no good way for a player to decide how much his characters power increases depending on how much time he play each day. With a limit on how many expert marks/infinity stones a player can get each day... alot of people have nothing to do after doing their dailys but pvp or wait for a raid. An example on how to solve this would be:

Remove restrictions to how many marks for world, expert and pvp gear a person can get per day whilst increasing the amount of marks required to get the gear or the upgrade crystals. This allows a player to farm as much as they want each day to attain their gear, but still keep the time it takes to get it the same for most players. My way to do this would be: Make expert bosses drop 1-2 expert marks, make normal dungeon bosses drop 1-2 world marks (Infinite Stones for lvl 60 dungeons and Empyrean Sourcestone for dungeons leading up to lvl 60). Add alot of different quests for freelancer marks, and make a player able to pick up a random one and then get a new one once he completes the last one, this could ofcourse also be implemented for dungeons - have an npc give a player a quest to go to a dungeon and kill the last boss, once completed the player can pick up another quest, reward with expert mark / infinity stone depending if the player decided to pick up the Expert or normal version of the quest. Also increase the amount of marks required for world/pvp/adventure/expert gear by x3 to make up for the increased gain This way a player can play for 8 hours a day and gain more gear than a player who play for 2 hours a day.

Right now it feels like players who play for 3 hours/day can improve their character by just as much each day as a player who play for 10 hours/day.

Let me paint you a picture:

Right now it feels like Rift is closer to being "green" than being any of the other colors, while an mmorpg these days are more to the red (but should imo be more to the blue).. and i think that is because: Trion does not want players to gain gear too fast to complete the easy dungeons too fast.

The thing that is hard about an mmorpg is that there is alot of players looking for different things in the game, but you cant always please everyone with everything. Thats why an mmorpg needs to split up its content in different paths, have a good story that is not affected by time per day input, have some raids that are affected by time per day but not enough for it to become hard to achieve, and some raids that are supposed to sepparate the real fanatics and nolifers from the average joe bloe who plays the game for an hour each day between getting home from work and picking up his kids from daycare.

A perfect mmorpg would have a main story that doesnt get hurt if you did not do all the raids, and rather have raids as side-storys. And the raids should be at different levels of toughness. Some raids should be easy/medium to give the average joe a chanse to experiance raiding and pick up better than newly max-level gear. Some raids that have medium-hard content for the players taking the step from the easy to the hard raids. And then you have one or two raids that are hard-expert which only the very best should look to complete, an medium-dedicated/skilled player should perhaps be able to kill a few bosses, but to complete it all he would have to push to the top level.

It is still too early to see how SL's raiding will turn out, since we are still in the tier 1 (or easy/medium) stage of raiding. But form the looks of it the next 20man raid will contain vital story information, so Trion will probably have to make it easy/medium aswell to allow for anyone to complete it rather easily.

But as i said, it is still to early to see in SL... but i hope they will add some kind of choise where players can deicde what kind of player they want to be. Allow players to be rewarded differently depending on how much time they put into the game.
    Last edited by Stabbzalot; 12-09-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Sword of Telara

Its not all about power increases.....

I will keep doing things I enjoy regardless of whether I get power increeases. if you are only doing stuff becuase it have rewards, then why are you doing it at all if its not fun in and of itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega326 View Post
    While we're making wild accusations without any backup, I'm going to go ahead and say that you are a 12 year old horse named Suzy that lives in a crater on the moon... and I am absolutely correct.

Ascendant

yeah do all this and then come back here and complain about the unbearable grind, and that you cancel you sub cause of it ... ^^

Ascendant

There is no limit on the number on infinity stones you can earn per day. You can farm an unlimited number of hunt rifts and invasions. Additionally, the is absolutely no limit on the number of crafting items you can farm to use or sell.

Yes, hour 10 is less effective than hour 3, but you can certainly keep improving your character.

This is mostly intentional so that people who would play 10 hours a day don't complete everything in a month then unsubscribed because "there's no more content".

Your suggestions don't really address this though. For the most part they boil down to "Expert gear takes too long to get, and IS gear is too expensive." You can always farm for IS, but you don't like the time involved. So the real truth is that you don't actually want to put in the time, but want the rewards.

If you play for two hours your expected return would be ~4 Expert marks (1 Expert = 1 HR), ~25 IS (Invasion + DRR or dailies) and a random WF. And that's assuming you get a good group, get a banner to an invasion and win in your first match or two. Of course, you still haven't farmed any rep, run hunt rifts, done much of the Ashora/SI dailies, or done any farming for crafting. The truth is you want to be able to just grind out your experts, grab your gear, and have a enough stones to purchase your lessers so you can start raiding.

The game is designed to encourage to participate in all aspects, rather than focused solely on dungeon grinding.
    Last edited by Carinae; 12-09-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Carinae View Post
    There is no limit on the number on infinity stones you can earn per day. You can farm an unlimited number of hunt rifts and invasions. Additionally, the is absolutely no limit on the number of crafting items you can farm to use or sell.

Yes, hour 10 is less effective than hour 3, but you can certainly keep improving your character.

This is mostly intentional so that people who would play 10 hours a day don't complete everything in a month then unsubscribed because "there's no more content".

Your suggestions don't really address this though. For the most part they boil down to "Expert gear takes too long to get, and IS gear is too expensive." You can always farm for IS, but you don't like the time involved. So the real truth is that you don't actually want to put in the time, but want the rewards.

If you play for two hours your expected return would be ~4 Expert marks (1 Expert = 1 HR), ~25 IS (Invasion + DRR or dailies) and a random WF. And that's assuming you get a good group, get a banner to an invasion and win in your first match or two. Of course, you still haven't farmed any rep, run hunt rifts, done much of the Ashora/SI dailies, or done any farming for crafting. The truth is you want to be able to just grind out your experts, grab your gear, and have a enough stones to purchase your lessers so you can start raiding.

The game is designed to encourage to participate in all aspects, rather than focused solely on dungeon grinding.
    Totally forgot that you get IS from Hunt rifts and IA's.

And if "the game is designed to encourage to participate in all aspects rather han focus solely on dungon grinding" then why is it that i can get an IA anytime i want, i can do an Hunt Rift anytime i want, i can do WF's anytime i want... but for most of the time there is a huge waiting time for experts / normal dungeons. And im pretty sure that could be solved giving people who dont need to do dungeons for gear, a reason to it to get marks (more than once a day).

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos
    yeah do all this and then come back here and complain about the unbearable grind, and that you cancel you sub cause of it ... ^^
    During all my years of playing different mmos i've never closed a sub because of there being too much grind, however you are correct that some people might. But are you actually saying that Dungeons are a worse grind than IAs? With dungeons being as short as they are these day, its a nuisance at worst to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetans
    Its not all about power increases.....

I will keep doing things I enjoy regardless of whether I get power increeases. if you are only doing stuff becuase it have rewards, then why are you doing it at all if its not fun in and of itself?
    If you dont want to be able to put in a few extra hours per day in order to make your character stronger, then thats your choice. I however am the kind of player who does not play a game half-hearted, if i play.. i play to be the best... but that is kinda hard at the moment when this game rewards every player equally with little room to get extra credit for more effort.

Perhaps my way of having fun is doing something i know is rewarding. For example, going for a Run, Work, Study or Do in-game stuff that in some way rewards me.

Running the same dungeon is fine, and i do really enjoy running dungeons. But running the same dungeon for the 10th time knowing you wont get anything for it is only viable if you havnt done the dungeon in a long long time. Think of it as watching a movie you enjoy, watching it a few times is fine.. but after a while it gets kinda boring... but if someone payed you to watch it over and over 20 times, you would do it without a hassle.

I know lots of players on my server who are plain just not logging on to the game except for their raids, since they dont need anything except for expert marks / raiding. And who can blame them, but the issue would ofcourse not be solved just by implementing a version of my idea, there is still not enough stuff that players have to do in order to be ready for their raids, once they have the gear. Consumables are way too cheap (sure cheap consumables are great for people who dont have any plat, and/or does not want to put alot of time into the game). But you cant forget that just as there are players who does not want to put time into the game, there are people who do aswell. Then why not have different choices of consumables? One kind that is slightly worse than the best ones atm.. but are cheaper / easier to farm... and increase the price of the best ones. This way a player who does not want to farm for hours just to be able to have consumables for his raid will be able to do so, but a player who does want to put these hours into farming will be able to have a slight advantage.
    Last edited by Stabbzalot; 12-10-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Telaran

The time you put in the game =/= your skill.
    Skilled player =/= unemployed who has plenty of time.

Unemployment shouldn't be a requirement to be able to raid!

If you really like grinding 10h/day, maybe you should make a poll for a Korean version of RIFT ...

just saying ....

(Retired) Shaykeyurass - Tabouret TDQ 4/4 - FT 4/4 - EE 5/5

Anc

They gave you things to do with your 10 hours a day. You can grind factions all day long for example and be well ahead of players that do not have that time.
    Last edited by Anc; 12-10-2012 at 08:21 AM.

working as intended

+ Reply to Thread