+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I'm loving the dungeonfinder for EXPERT dungeons...

Rift Disciple

Default I'm loving the dungeonfinder for EXPERT dungeons...

I see lot of horror stories regarding the currency grind that are SL expert dungeons. Those are not my experiences.

I've run a few and I must say it's a pleasant experience. I queue as a mage healer and typically I end up with three or four others from the same guild and me as the random guy.

The guildies are typically friendly and explain how the fights are different from the normal mode to my newb ***. There are a few wipes, but that is what learning is all about. The runs still go smoothly and I get wisdom, PA levels, and some gear drops if I'm a tiny bit lucky.

This is nowhere near the level of pulling teeth the expert dungeons were when vanilla Rift came out.

It did take me a couple weeks to hit 60, so I missed some bugs and frustration from less knowledgeable random group mates. I found the normal modes of some of the dungeons to be very frustrating.

If you're under 60 and find yourself lacking motivation to continue, take a couple days off and come back. It gets way better!

Im a rogue that is DPS/Support until I can get enough tank gear and it takes me an upwards of 2-3 hours to get a group for experts using the dungeon finder....
    Jiggs --=--=-- 60 Rogue --=--=-- <Midnighters> --=--=-- Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    Im a rogue that is DPS/Support until I can get enough tank gear and it takes me an upwards of 2-3 hours to get a group for experts using the dungeon finder....
    Use those hours to farm Infinity Stones and buy tank gear with them.

Rift Disciple

I'm baffled that there aren't fewer tanks myself. I think I may have seen 2 tank drops in my runs through normal dungeons. I had a hard enough time getting the +300 hit to even queue up for experts. I don't even want to think about toughness.

I don't know how a tank could gear up without a few thousand platinum or guild crafters.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhero View Post
    I'm baffled that there aren't fewer tanks myself. I think I may have seen 2 tank drops in my runs through normal dungeons. I had a hard enough time getting the +300 hit to even queue up for experts. I don't even want to think about toughness.

I don't know how a tank could gear up without a few thousand platinum or guild crafters.
    Infinity stones will get you the toughness that you need.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Infinity stones will get you the toughness that you need.
    This. People talk about how it's a "waste of time" to get this gear, but as a tank that didn't really raid pre-SL, it's pretty hard to get gear that isn't garbage or DPS. Especially when you consider I'm a Warrior. Right now I'm pretty much in the worst place possible, being a Warrior tank trying to gear up.

This IS gear is a life-saver. Now I can get toughness and hit, and then I can go back and do the normals to get an idea of the fights, and then do experts and hopefully by then, Warrior mitigation will have improved. Plus "grinding" IS is great for students or casuals.. All I do is my dailies and a zone event here and there. It really starts to add up!

Ascendant

You can't craft toughness gear (except boots), its drops or grinding stones. Many tanks just gear up as dps/support in experts.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

Quote Originally Posted by Carinae View Post
    You can't craft toughness gear (except boots), its drops or grinding stones. Many tanks just gear up as dps/support in experts.
    There aren't even any crafted leather tanking boots, so rogues are particularly screwed on that front.

As far as I know, there isn't a tanking leather chest in normal dungeons, either, which means that infinity stones are your only option.
    Last edited by Muspel; 12-03-2012 at 02:40 PM.

As a warrior tank I get instant ques as well, I got shoulders and legs as drops, I bought boots and bp with IS (before the fixed the normal emp core quest rewards or I wouldn't have had to buy the chest) The zones are a bit tougher as a war tank right now, but I have yet to find any that are impossible, just challenging, you have to be cautious in your pulls and support helps a ton.
    Ortoun 60 Warrior Tank 4/4 TDQ 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 1/4 HM Shatterbone
    Lewin 50 Rogue retired alt/craft bot

I have no issues with the dungeons except the bosses don't drop marks.

Getting a decent set together for raids is rather difficult because the loot tables are huge and there's multiple people rolling for the items.

I've been lucky so far, but that doesn't mean everyone is.

As one of the above posters stated the normal SL dungeon bosses need to give world marks so that you can gear up by doing normal dungeons. Each player should get 10-15 marks per dungeon in my opinion.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by aabuster1 View Post
    As one of the above posters stated the normal SL dungeon bosses need to give world marks so that you can gear up by doing normal dungeons. Each player should get 10-15 marks per dungeon in my opinion.
    So...you get your 4 piece in like 5 dungeons? I agree there should be some marks by doing the dungeons without any bonus but 10-15 is ridiculous lol I was thinking like 1-2 marks for a dungeon if you don't have a bonus. Remember the bonus gives you 4-5. The cheaper items cost 17, middle items are 23 and legs/bp are 28.

Remember, they want you to actually play their content for a while not grind through a few and never play again.
    Last edited by Bluelightt; 12-04-2012 at 09:05 AM.

I'd settle for 10-15 IS per expert run. You're likely already missing a world event while you're in there, and it's irritating to wait for people to banner out, tag bosses, and run back.

Maybe put 3 on the early bosses and 5 on the last guy. That would be nice, and give people an alternative to getting burnt out with world events for IS gear.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Its really not hard at all to gear up a tank. I only got 1 dungeon toughness drop and that was some rogue shoulders

so i just used the rogue shoulders, crafted boots, IS legs and a chest that I got from the cache at the end of a dungeon (not a drop)

when I hit 60 I bought the mats for 2 tanking rings with 53 hit and a crafted helm with 53 hit

I spent in total about 120 IS, and 400 plat and I was tanking experts within 1 day of hitting 60 with no lucky drops ect. Luck will make it cheaper/easier to tank in experts but tis really not needed because 400 plat and 120 IS is not hard at all to get just during your leveling from 50-60

The trick with crafting is to buy the mats not the gear, then you just tip the crafter and its a win-win for everyone. this way you avoid the crafters who are just tryign to rip people off on the AH selling gear that costs 50 plat to make for 250 plat each. especially dont buy augments on the AH! they are craftable now with pretty cheap mats

Pretty much to fix that I figured zone events and dailies to 300 hit. Crafted and events there after to tank. Expert marks to improve dps since it appears that your prime focus is dps/support.
    Last edited by Galibier; 12-04-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast