+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why does it seem like tank damage in experts seems off...

Rift Disciple

Default Why does it seem like tank damage in experts seems off...

My experience at least. Where it seems our tank sometimes barely gets hit and other times his health drops like a sack of potatoes.

We were doing the empryean core meltdown event and Our tank was getting hit by the big adds like he was a harbinger tank.

And than on Kaliban it seemed a bit easier.

Maybe its me still unsure of my class or something. Just seems off.

Quote Originally Posted by shenrais View Post
    My experience at least. Where it seems our tank sometimes barely gets hit and other times his health drops like a sack of potatoes.
    Because some mobs hit harder than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    In addition, there was a huge nerf to block in this xpac and it will be more noticable with multiple mobs whacking on your tank. Add to that warrior tanks (if that's what you were running with) being about 10% behind all the other tanks, and that could account for what you were seeing.
    Last edited by Souldancer; 11-29-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Soulwalker

Warrior tanks are the hardest for me to keep up right now while healing. Rogues and Clerics tie as being the easiest to heal, but Clerics are easily the best threat generation for packs and generally have the best static mitigation right now.

I have a bit of a tough time on some expert packs with 375 Toughness and ~41k HP on my tank, as well. It's going to be pretty difficult until we catch up on the gear curve. I have to rely heavily on rotating my cooldowns to help my healers out, and my gear isn't terrible (mostly gear from the actual expert dungeons).

Most of us are still undergeared for experts, sadly.

Plane Touched

Yeah i Myself am a rogue tank in the groups i always run with i have 400 toughness and 411 hit and also 49k life(without endurance vial just food) and it hasnt been too bad there is alot of things that hit hard but the difference for that is tank should be rotating CD's i know of so many tanks who currently are so afraid to use there cooldowns and that is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    There are currently some abilities that are bypassing certain types of mitigation. If the OP's tank was a warrior, that would explain the heavy damage. Using 51 Reaver I was able to reliably recreate one such occurance in Normal AP (lvl 50 dungeon) where each mob in there would hit for roughly 250 on avg. One mob, however, had an attack that would hit for 4500-5000. Not because the attack is meant to hit stupid hard, but because it was ignoring certain warrior mitigations. That same attack was dealing approx 33% less dmg in a DPS spec with Avatar of Water and Close Training in Tempest... without a shield equipped.
    Misterwar <-Virus-> 5/11 Warborne <Yakisoba> 5/11 Warborne <Apotheosys> 0/11

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    There are currently some abilities that are bypassing certain types of mitigation. If the OP's tank was a warrior, that would explain the heavy damage. Using 51 Reaver I was able to reliably recreate one such occurance in Normal AP (lvl 50 dungeon) where each mob in there would hit for roughly 250 on avg. One mob, however, had an attack that would hit for 4500-5000. Not because the attack is meant to hit stupid hard, but because it was ignoring certain warrior mitigations. That same attack was dealing approx 33% less dmg in a DPS spec with Avatar of Water and Close Training in Tempest... without a shield equipped.
    So that's why we Warriors get demolished in dungeons sometimes but it doesn't seem to affect Clerics and Rogues? I'm no theorycrafter but I had a hunch that something wasn't being factored in correctly; either the math was off or some mitigation wasn't being correctly applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    Is it possible that it's based on a percentage of your max hp?

A few specific mobs have armor-ignoring attacks, some attacks deal % damage.

They've always been there, though I don't recall one in AP...
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

+ Reply to Thread