+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toughness important in normals?

Default Toughness important in normals?

I'm 59, so this will be a moot point soon, but for my alts' sakes, wondering if toughness affects mitigation in normal dungeons.

Rift Master

I don't believe so, and IMO if it does there's a BIG design flaw. Toughness is meant to be a gating system for Experts and Raids, I don't know of any modern MMO that ever had a gating system/gear check for leveling dungeons.

As far as I know it's not required, but it couldn't hurt to have some!

First there is no such thing as a leveling dungeon. There are dungeons you can do as you level as part of dungeon progression. Second look at EQ2 and Critical Mitigation. So yes games do have it.

That all said it is needed? No. Does it make your life easier? Yes. All toughness really does is add a modifier that reduces how much a mob crits you for. Mobs crit. The only real difference as you progress is how hard they crit for.
    Last edited by Galibier; 11-28-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    First there is no such thing as a leveling dungeon. There are dungeons you can do as you level as part of dungeon progression. Second look at EQ2 and Critical Mitigation. So yes games do have it.

That all said it is needed? No. Does it make your life easier? Yes. All toughness really does is add a modifier that reduces how much a mob crits you for. Mobs crit. The only real difference as you progress is how hard they crit for.
    It does not affect crit damage other than the bonus damage enemies in experts/raids get, where toughness is required.

tl;dr no it's useless in normals

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    It does not affect crit damage other than the bonus damage enemies in experts/raids get, where toughness is required.

Yeah, this is what I was wondering, basically if it's a feature/mechanic that is ignored in Normals...So far, mixed opinions?

My gut feeling is that it (should have) has NO effect in normals, only when you enter an Expert (similar to how Valor works in pvp?)...?

Edit: The reason I ask as it pertains to leveling up an alt, I noticed that the armor for my warrior that had toughness on it had significantly less A/C (up to 1500 ac less in some pcs!)...if toughness wasn't even needed in normals I could drop the ****e toughness gear in favor of the a/c...this is the spirit in which this topic was formed.
    Last edited by Mocotriste; 11-28-2012 at 09:47 AM.

This.

I'm a main tank rogue and I had no issues tanking normals with some DPS gear mixed in until I had enough toughness to do experts.

General of Telara

^ this. It's equally useless to get more toughness than you need for the current tier of content. If the tooltip tells you you need 300 toughness, having 350 won't help you mitigate that tier any more. It will help you with the next tier, however.
    The Riftguard
    Deepwood :: TDQ 4/4 :: FT 2/4
    Morning Raiding Guild - Recruiting!

Atrius: "Paragon seems solid. At Level 60 I came in at the top of IA damage."

Thanks, with my warrior I focused too much on having tougness gear, at the expense of A/C...this made/makes me a pretty squishy tank I'm afraid.

Gonna swap out some cr@p tougness pcs with DPS A/C pcs soon as servers are up...

Thx

Armor and endurance should be your main focus with normal dungeons. A lot of the quest given DPS gear will provide you with better stats than anything out of Infernal Dawn.

As stated above, Toughness does nothing for you in normal dungeons, only Experts and other end game content.

Ahh I thought it was simply a crit modifier mechanic, instead it is more like "anti-crit power". Roger. Thanks
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Hmm, any pieces I'd want to replace with A/C pcs also have 30-50 block per piece...

Is A/C > Block??

Quote Originally Posted by Mocotriste View Post
    Hmm, any pieces I'd want to replace with A/C pcs also have 30-50 block per piece...

Is A/C > Block??

Armor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>> block

thanks!!!11!!111!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread