+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Support is not a role in a 5 man

Default Support is not a role in a 5 man

There is no "support" in a 5 man, what you mean to say it is either one healer or two healer.

Bard is a support soul, and I have seen MANY bards running in 5 mans.
    I have seen them requested in 5 mans. Yes support is a role in 5 mans.

Shadowlander

The support role is not there only for healing, but also buffs, debuffs, sometimes an extra cleanse, interrupt and/or silence, maybe even a little DPS. I think people got spoiled because everyone was so OP in 5-mans before SL was released. Maybe now people will put some more thought into support specs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehemothDog View Post
    Bard is a support soul, and I have seen MANY bards running in 5 mans.
    I have seen them requested in 5 mans. Yes support is a role in 5 mans.
    Bard is requested for its healing in 5 mans

If you think otherwise, why are Archon and Beastmaster not requested?
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 11-26-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Support can be a variety of things.

I authentically supported on Archon the other day on some cleanse heavy fights. This allowed me to pump out decent ST DPS while buffing the group, giving run speed, and making sure the healer didn't have to waist GCDs on cleanses.

Also on trash as dominator I can CC the crap out of things and help with massive interrupts so the tank takes way less damage. In addition I have @targettarget deny and reflective command to help mitigate damage on the tank.

There are more ways to support than healing if you can prevent the damage that would need to be healed in the first place.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    Support can be a variety of things.

I authentically supported on Archon the other day on some cleanse heavy fights. This allowed me to pump out decent ST DPS while buffing the group, giving run speed, and making sure the healer didn't have to waist GCDs on cleanses.

Also on trash as dominator I can CC the crap out of things and help with massive interrupts so the tank takes way less damage. In addition I have @targettarget deny and reflective command to help mitigate damage on the tank.

There are more ways to support than healing if you can prevent the damage that would need to be healed in the first place.
    While true, this is not the case in PuGs where the damage will only be prevented by executing mechanics. Pretty much the only way to make up for derps is extra healing.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 11-26-2012 at 02:58 PM.

It doesn't matter how you want to deem support, they're literally providing some support: Bear all or part of the weight of; hold up.

Telaran

The majority of PuGs I've encountered deem 'support' as 'second healer' and will not accept Archon or Beastmaster as a support member. Its gotten so bad that I no longer even bother queuing as support because I know if I try and use Archon at all I'll get yelled at.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Qhue View Post
    The majority of PuGs I've encountered deem 'support' as 'second healer' and will not accept Archon or Beastmaster as a support member. Its gotten so bad that I no longer even bother queuing as support because I know if I try and use Archon at all I'll get yelled at.

So just run Chloromancer !?!?!? I agree with the original poster the best support in a dungeon helps out with healing. You can bleat all you like about it but sometimes you won't get to the end of the dungeon if you're stuck with only one healer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Bard is requested for its healing in 5 mans

If you think otherwise, why are Archon and Beastmaster not requested?
    Good point.

I like this reply tho

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    It doesn't matter how you want to deem support, they're literally providing some support: Bear all or part of the weight of; hold up.
    but no need to argue semantics here. The "support role" can also be considered what ever is needed from the person that queue's as it.

dbe
    General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Malark View Post
    So just run Chloromancer !?!?!?
    Chloro has pitiful dps compared to something like bard or defiler, and they don't overlap as well as 2 non-puri clerics. Also, the only good hybrid spec which both lets you do some damage and works life spells into the mix is harb, and not everyone wants to play melee (and lots of 5-man fights discourage it).

In a 5man, what's needed most from "support" is additional group healing.
    In SL dungeons, the main healer is often specced to be solid tank heals but struggles with heavy group damage.
    That's where "support" comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by dbe View Post
    Chloro has pitiful dps compared to something like bard or defiler, and they don't overlap as well as 2 non-puri clerics. Also, the only good hybrid spec which both lets you do some damage and works life spells into the mix is harb, and not everyone wants to play melee (and lots of 5-man fights discourage it).
    Druid does solid dps and provides decent healing with the faerie, throw in salvation from justicar and you're good to go, although like harbinger it is melee.
    Last edited by actionvapor; 11-26-2012 at 07:26 PM.

You can hit 3.5k+ dps in a 61 chloro spec.

Even higher if you go hybrid.
    Aegis Mage
    New stuff dead, need more dragons.

Champion

I think you are referring to a pre 60 chloro, because chloro level 60 is freaking amazing at both tank and group heal. In addition to this they can also put out a ok amount of dps.
    Between level 50 to 60 it was a struggle, but then again this is just a pure leveling phase now and noone is top dps/hps whilst doing so, but yeah i have to admit i was in deep doubts before i hit 60. Now i am just in love with my chloro again

As for the topic, i don't think that Jimhalpert meant to say that support roles over all are not needed, because they are always needed in raids. He do how ever have a point in what he is saying if it comes to expert dungeons in SL. If you register as support you will have to make sure that you have a spec with you that can put out hps if the healer needs your help. BM and Archon have no room as support in those dungeons, because if the main healer need help with anything, then it will be hps. And no buffs can replace that at high damage situations.

Bards of course works as well since Bards can put out a decent amount of hps. The only thing that is missing with Bards is battle rezzes, but with support it should not be needed really.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast