+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New Realities: SL Normal Instances - what you need to know

Default New Realities: SL Normal Instances - what you need to know

I'm seeing a lot of discussion lately regarding the difficulty (there's a real Goldie Locks debate going on) of normal instanced content. What few have aknowledged are some new realities that players should be aware of.

I. Tanks
    (a) Stat Scaling
    What many don't realize (because it's hidden in your stats sheet until you take the time to mouse over) is just how dramatically your stats will depreciate as you level in SL.

Dodge, Parry, Block, Resistances, and Armor Mitigation drop dramatically. Where as @ 50 30k armor translated to around 70% mitigation, by 60 this is down to 25% or so. This is a dramatic loss of overall mitigation. The same holds true for other mitigation stats as well.

Many pug and even guild groups find that tank damage is very high. This is in large part due to the dramatic loss of overall mitigation compared to pre SL gear.

What to do?
    While building your new tank set, early on you should prioritize Armor and Endurance over all else. If you have pre SL gear that offers block/dodge/parry etc, but has 1000 less armor than a quest green (endurance is likely equal or higher on the green), then you should be using the new item.

Once you have appropriate levels of Armor and Hp, you can start running instances as a tank, and replacing dps/quest items with "legitimate" tank pieces that offer the new levels of Armor and Endurance, while also offering Dodge/Block/Parry.

(b)Taking it Slow
    We're all still learning folks. I imagine most players were not around when Rift was new, but SL has returned Rift to form, where instances were HARD. They are hard for several reasons which will be discussed in this post, but mainly because the have not yet been nerfed! We do not over gear this content, quite the opposite in fact, so we cannot treat SL content with the same bravado we are used to.

Healers may be in out dated, inefficient specs. Support may not actually be playing support! (more on this later) So as the Tank, it's your job to plan for the worst and pull accordingly. Take it slow, and don't get over confident and pull entire rooms at once.

II. Healers
    (a)Your Tank and You
    I suggest you read section I(a) above. Tanks are going to be taking a beating for a while, and you need to not over react, or assume they're just bad. The reality is, they are going to be squishy until they get a chance to gear up (which is why they're in the run to begin with). Also please keep in mind, very little quest gear offers Tanking items as a reward. Thusly, Tanks are the hardest role to gear for.

Be patient with your tank, inspect their gear ahead of time. Puri based builds can help ease the pain as shielding greatly helps under geared tanks.

(b)Your Party and You
    Knowing your spec, and playing to it's strengths are important. Last night I was in an encounter where my party was taking damage (all of it avoidable), that I was unable to heal as they were far too spread out. I instructed them to stack on me for the remainder of the instance, or if that was not possible, run to me when they needed healing.

This simple adjustment and communication made the run much easier on myself as the healer and my party as a result. Instead of focusing my mana / attention and heals on the entire party, I could focus on my tank and he breathed a lot easier.

(c)Your Spec and You
    Don't carry a single spec. Play around with your souls, and bring specs capabel of mixed ST/AoE healing, heavy ST healing/Shielding, or heavy AoE healing. Some tried and true specs no longer work as they once did, so a learning curve is inevitable. But with Tanks taking increased damage, with content being new for most players, a healer has to be much more aware than some of us have grown accustomed to.

III. Support
    OMFG - if you queue as support, play support! These instance were designed for a party composed of tank, heal, support and dps. While it is certainly possible to complete these dungeons without as support, for most pug situations, a Support will make it a great deal easier, and can be the difference between success and failure!

If you don't enjoy support roles, don't queue as one.

IV. Other

I'll open this up to the community - have any other tips, suggestions, words of wisdom that can help others who are stuggling with these new instances? Please don't keep them to yourself. Share and lets help educate the community so we can all queue for randoms without fear!
    Last edited by nemecis; 11-19-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Rift Disciple

Very nice thread!! I like it!

Telaran

If you haven't killed or seen a new boss before, feel free to admit it to your group. There are a lot of abilities that have the potential to wipe a group if not handled. Interrupts, line of sight, cleansing mob buffs or gaining buffs / clearing debuffs of your own.

Make sure to ask your group for advice on what you need to know for a fight. Better to explain it for five minutes before than to wipe and have to start again.

Great thread Nem..

One reason i stopped running pugs was the support would Q then argue and i had to explain to them a dozen times you NEED support its just like the original release of the game. Support will be required for a few months while everyone gears up.

So don't Q as support if you don't plan on playing it.

Great thread! Ill admit being a dps Mage I would que as support pre-SL but I'm glad I read this because I wasn't sure if support was really helpful or needed anymore.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by nemecis View Post
    If you don't enjoy support roles, don't queue as one.
    This!

If a player queues as support and refuses to play support -> votekick!

I hate these people.

I am kinda digging that we actually need support classes in 5-mans again.

Nice post Nem. Now if only I could figure out what spec to drop for bard.

Rift Master

Good post and I wanted to emphasize the notion that it's OKAY to say "I don't know this fight" or "My first time here" in these dungeons. The expansion hasn't even been out a week, and not everyone played extensively on the beta. While there are sites that go into the fight mechanics I've long been against the notion that you must do "homework" for leveling purposes (for raids it's okay). You might get the occasional jerk that flames or kicks you out for not having played in the SL Alpha and knowing everything about the boss, but most people should be understand and probably aren't too sure about the fight mechanics themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post
    Good post and I wanted to emphasize the notion that it's OKAY to say "I don't know this fight" or "My first time here" in these dungeons.
    People that don't say this, whether out of fear or apathy, then fail on mechanics, are the reason elitists hate noobs.

Assume that people will assume you know everything until proven otherwise.

Plane Walker

I suggest if you are struggling even with a support switch them out for puri + chloro then use 2 dps + 1 tank and you will have very few problems clearing most instances even on expert.

Will smith best rapper 2013 #SWAG

Sword of Telara

most people dont realize until they get beasted yp in lvls and in gear that you wont just be cruising through these things, they take patience at the beginning thus like he said a support role is necessary instead of 3 dps until people progress. and the lvl 50 compared to 60 gear on weapons is like 117 to 260 or something of that nature so a big difference.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoooKi3 View Post
    I suggest if you are struggling even with a support switch them out for puri + chloro then use 2 dps + 1 tank and you will have very few problems clearing most instances even on expert.
    This advice isn't valid in the context of LFD; what if you get someone that doesn't have a full heal spec? If you only run with your guild/friends then fine, but in a world where LFD exists saying "Just run with two full healers" isn't addressing the problem.

I almost cried when i seen my 1400 crit at level 60 give approx 11% crit chance..... WTF!!!??

Has anyone deciphered why all the warrior gear is crit heavy? We going to need a **** ton of crit to get up to 30% but we will lose a **** ton of AP or Crit power in the mean time.

We need new weights!! where are the statos!?
    World First - Cyril Kalmar Kill
    eXile-Corp 11/11 HK - 8/8 ID - 4/4 FT - 5/5 EE

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by nemecis View Post
    If you don't enjoy support roles, don't que as one
    This. So much this! Bump... scrubs come read

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast