+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gearing up a fresh 50 tank?

Rift Master

Default Gearing up a fresh 50 tank?

I just hit 50 a few days ago on my Warrior, and I leveled almost exclusively via tanking. I now have the dilemma of trying to hit 100 Toughness to begin tanking Experts, but short of dropping a ton of plat on the AH there doesn't seem to be a viable way to do this anymore.

I've bought all five of the "Reinforced Transplanar" gear from vendors in Stillmoor, Shimmersand and Iron Pine Peak, and bought two Copper Signets of Mathos from the Order vendor in Zareph's Return. This only adds up to 63 Toughness, well short of the 100 needed to queue for Experts as a tank.

It seems to me this wasn't an issue before when there were T1 and T2 Experts, since that would have been more than enough Toughness in the pre-merged world. Now, however, it seems the requirements for a fresh 50 tank has gone up, but the gear gap remained the same so I don't have a way to get 100 Toughness short of either crafting my own high-level gear (time consuming) or spending a lot of plat buying that gear. The gear in normal CC/AP/CR isn't much better than what I have in the Toughness department, I can't tank the daily Expert Rift (let alone the DRR), I can't solo the EI quest chain in it's entirety for those legs, and unless I missed something I've gotten all the Planar gear I can get without being Glorified with Farclan. It seems like I have to just farm the few Plaques I can from normal AP/CC/CR and use that to buy some extra Toughness gear to get into Experts?

Did I miss some gearing strategy or is the intention that it's very hard for a tank to hit 50 and immediately begin tanking Experts without having a "sugar daddy" or high-end crafting alt?

Yes, you're supposed to gear up through normals in order to get a bit of plaque gear before queueing for random experts.

Also, there's a +20 toughness rune you can put on your chest.

If I recall correctly, there are some decent toughness drops in normal level 48+ dungeons.

Plane Walker

Do the ember isle quest chain, that'll give you +50 toughness legs.

run normal dungeons.

get the crafted shoulders/chest( + shield and ring) those will give you +50 toughness each (but not the shield or the ring obviously)

queue as dps and need on tanking pieces....
    'It's been a looooong time....

Do the EI quest as twisted suggested for those legs and crafted gear for starters.Get a +20 toughness rune for your chest.If nessecary, at the beggining use a toughness lens in an essence slot.From there, run experts as much as possible to obtain plaques.There are 2 tiers of plaque gear.Before you can buy a 2nd tier piece of a given slot you will have had to bought the corresponding tier 1 piece first.Along the way when you do "random ques" you will get an option (once per day) at the end of the dungeon to choose plaques or diffrent types of marks.Start out getting the normal marks of asencion everytime.You will want to farm these marks to start working on your tier 1 raid set.You can greatly amplify the farm rate of these marks by hopping in T1 pug raids every week. The T1 raids are Drowned Halls, Glided prophecy, Greenscales blight, and river of souls.each boss you kill you will get 3 marks.Also you can pickup some viable upgrades through drops from these raids.Such as the princes crest shield from gsb or the Aegis of Souls shield from ros, belt from gsb or ros, mariners cannon from DH, oracles pain blade from gsb... among other items.

Also, participate in as many zone events as you can. ie; Iron pine peak, Stillmoore, Shimmering sands & ember isle have diffrent events going on pretty frequently.These events give inscribed source stones, wich can be used to purchase very good lesser essences from vendors in sanctum.You'll want to start building a tank sigil.You'll want to stack up on the block stat in your sigil.Aim for the 100 & 50 ISS epic block lesser essences.You will want lessers in your greater slots aswell, as there are no good greaters for tanking pve that compare to the static stats a good lesser provides.

Must have ISS essences:
    2x block earth lessers (suspended resolve & crystallized resolve - From the Merchant order vendor)
    2x block death lessers (deathly hand & deathly rituals - From the Order of the death serpeant vendor)

Some good essences that can fill in the other 2 slots:
    1x Flood gates lesser (Tanking lesser from the hunger of the deep Raid Rift in IPP)
    1x High water surge (A 100 ISS lesser from the order of purity vendor.This lesser has dodge instead of block..but it also has 27 end)
    1x (or 2x) Battle Trunk (lesser from a Life raid rift in stillmoore)
    1x (or 2x) granite boulder (lesser from a earth raid rift in shimmer)

Also if you can, farm as much of hunger of the deep water RR in IPP until you can get Arkryon's mirror.It has a chance to proc a HOT on youwhen you block.
    Last edited by XaviourEQ2; 04-27-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Rift Master

Thanks for the advice. I was under the impression I could not solo the EI quest chain so that wasn't an option for gearing. I am a crafter (Armorsmith/Artificer) but I have to get the greater artisan marks from the weeklies so I can get the recipes for the high-end gear.

From looking at the gear drops in the 48+ normal dungeons, it seems what I have is just as good or better (most of the tank gear only has +13 toughness each) so I'm not sure if there's anything I can use other than just running them for Plaques.

For essences I am using six Sleeping Giants from the vendor in Stillmoor, but it looks like the next thing on my list is getting the Toughness rune as a stopgap. I don't really want to queue as DPS and need on tank gear since tanking is what I enjoy doing, and IMO it seems counter-intuitive to force all new tanks to run as DPS when they chose tank for a reason.

Will keep in mind the other essences to use for the resists, and as soon as I can tank a raid rift I'll definitely try to farm the water one.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I was under the impression I could not solo the EI quest chain so that wasn't an option for gearing. I am a crafter (Armorsmith/Artificer) but I have to get the greater artisan marks from the weeklies so I can get the recipes for the high-end gear.

From looking at the gear drops in the 48+ normal dungeons, it seems what I have is just as good or better (most of the tank gear only has +13 toughness each) so I'm not sure if there's anything I can use other than just running them for Plaques.

For essences I am using six Sleeping Giants from the vendor in Stillmoor, but it looks like the next thing on my list is getting the Toughness rune as a stopgap. I don't really want to queue as DPS and need on tank gear since tanking is what I enjoy doing, and IMO it seems counter-intuitive to force all new tanks to run as DPS when they chose tank for a reason.

Will keep in mind the other essences to use for the resists, and as soon as I can tank a raid rift I'll definitely try to farm the water one.
    Buy some of the tank gear off the planar merchant with ISS, you can get a bunch of these by doing the daily IA as well as by just running IA's normally. Don't forget to do the Shield of Telara quest, complete 4 zone events in the high end zones for I think 10 ISS once per week. I seem to recall there being more then a few nice tanking items. Also depending on where you toughness is at, there is a lesser shard that you can put in your sourcestone engine that also gives +20 toughness.
    Last edited by TechnoMage; 04-27-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Rift Master

I already bought all the gear from the planarite vendors with ISS ("Reinforced Transplanar" gear) and not counting the rune I put in my chest that only came to 63 Toughness (I'm at 79 with the cheapo chest rune). Will check out the other options too.

+20 toughness rune.
    +20 toughness lesser essence.
    +63 that you already have = 103 and you can queue.
    Read my Comprehensive Warrior Raid Tanking Guide and Warrior Tank Leveling Guide!
    RIP Affinity. Beta 3 - 5/10/12.
    ID 4/8 | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

Rift Master

I already bought all the gear from the planarite vendors with ISS ("Reinforced Transplanar" gear) and not counting the rune I put in my chest that only came to 63 Toughness (I'm at 79 with the cheapo chest rune). Will check out the other options too.
    You are looking for the epic Planar Vendor. He's in the Planar College in Meridian named Kimah Cerad and Sells....

Or if you are a smelly Guardian.... Hes Quartermaster Konesy and in the Sanctum of the Vigil.

1. Chest Piece that starts at 38 toughness that can be upgraded for more ISS to a chest piece with 50 tougness.

2. Shoulders that start at 38 toughness that can be upgraded for more ISS to shoulders that have 50 toughness.

3. Boots that start at 38 toughness that can be upgraded for more ISS to boots that have 50 toughness.

They also have a ring and sword that have lots of hit and end and defensive stats.

Now I may be bad at maths, but 50+50+50 = 150 which is more then 100.

http://rift.zam.com/en/npc/649829955...r-Konesy#Sells

The gear is the exact same for each faction.
    Last edited by TechnoMage; 04-27-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    You are looking for the epic Planar Vendor. He's in the Planar College in Meridian named Kimah Cerad and Sells....

Or if you are a smelly Guardian.... Hes Quartermaster Konesy and in the Sanctum of the Vigil.

1. Chest Piece that starts at 38 toughness that can be upgraded for more ISS to a chest piece with 50 tougness.

2. Shoulders that start at 38 toughness that can be upgraded for more ISS to shoulders that have 50 toughness.

3. Boots that start at 38 toughness that can be upgraded for more ISS to boots that have 50 toughness.

They also have a ring and sword that have lots of hit and end and defensive stats.

Now I may be bad at maths, but 50+50+50 = 150 which is more then 100.

http://rift.zam.com/en/npc/649829955...r-Konesy#Sells

The gear is the exact same for each faction.
    Oh THAT guy. I was looking for him and only found the one that required you to already have the item and was the upgrade.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks

Rift Master

Looking at that vendor on ZAM (Quartermaster Konesy), it looks like I need to have the Planar Vanquisher's version of the item to get the Planar Conqueror's item, but I can't seem to find where the Planar Vanquisher's version is sold (and ZAM just shows the Conqueror's version under the "Sold By" tab for the Vanquishers...)? Is it sold by the same guy?
    Last edited by wayne62682; 04-27-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Rift Master

Looking at that vendor on ZAM (Quartermaster Konesy), it looks like I need to have the Planar Vanquisher's version of the item to get the Planar Conqueror's item, but I can't seem to find where the Planar Vanquisher's version is sold (and ZAM just shows the Conqueror's version under the "Sold By" tab for the Vanquishers...)? Is it sold by the same guy?
    Yup, sort by type and you'll see this line.

Planar Vanquisher's Reinforced Breastplate

Currency

Plate Armor

262 5,000

262 IIS + 5,000 planarite.

You start at the Vanquisher stuff for +38 Toughness for Planarite and ISS... then upgrade to the +50 Toughness armor for more ISS.
    Last edited by TechnoMage; 04-27-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Rift Master

OMG I wish I had known that before I spent ISS/Planarite on the other set D: Guess I have some IAs to farm

Thanks so much!!

Rift Master

OMG I wish I had known that before I spent ISS/Planarite on the other set D: Guess I have some IAs to farm

Thanks so much!!
    Keep in mind that this stuff is designed as advancement for non-raiders who wanted a way to get raid level gear, so you don't need a full set or even most of a set for raiding. Just find a piece or 2 that will help put you over the top and then let the rest of it come to you as it comes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast