+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Pay no mind to progression rankings

Default Pay no mind to progression rankings

Competition.

Its going to be part of any game... regardless of type. In MMO's it comes in a variety of forms. In RIFT... folks compete for who has the highest achievement points, who has the best gear, who's gear is best looking, who has more collectible hats then the other person, and much much more.

The obvious one?... which guild is more accomplished and which has gotten further along in new content and gotten there faster. In the race to complete new content guilds face off against one another in a test of strategy, speed, competence, organization, and wills. One big problem. Its never going to be a fair fight. Is it wrong to be proud of your or your guilds accomplishments and advertise them? No its not, but don't expect that you can accurately compare your guild to anyone else's... in anything.

Feel free to stop reading here.. as that's the main point and fact.... or read on.....

Why cant it be fair? Well here's just a few basic examples. Mind you there are many more.

--Testing guilds get early looks at certain fights. But without those guilds testing... those fights wouldn't happen in the first place, and its simply not viable to have EVERY guild that wants to test... testing. Does this give the testing guild an advantage? Of course it does, but it in no way means that a non testing guild cant come in with the right attitude and knock out the fight before the testers do. It just makes it less likely.

--Guilds composed of people with more flexible personal lives often have an advantage. When guild "A", can raid 6 or 7 days a week while guild "B" can raid 3-4 days a week, its going to give an advantage to guild "A" and its up to that guild to either make use of that advantage or squander it.

--Guild "A" might kill 3 bosses over 40 hours of raiding over 6 days, while guild "B" might kill 3 bosses over 20 hours of raiding over 3 days. However while guild "B" killed those bosses in fewer pulls and in less raid time, they might still be ranked behind guild "A" due to when the bosses were killed. In the end one guild had people with the ability to raid more. Does that make the guild stronger or more skilled? Not at all.

The list goes on and on.

In the end... what matters is downing the bosses and feeling like you did compete with what you had to work with, while not over-worrying about where you and your guild are ranked.

Is it alright to still push for more? Sure... Hell the point of being competitive is to never be completely satisfied with your accomplishments and to strive harder the next time. But lets remember that there IS NOT NOR EVER WILL BE, an accurate way to rank guilds when it comes to progression. Different time zones, different schedules, and different environments. Bugs, lag, glitches, and computer problems. Jobs, school, family aggro, a life, lack of a life, and forgetting to go to the bathroom before a pull. There are so many X factors involved in gaming, raiding, and competing. People trying to come up with ways to accurately rank guild progression, or freaking out over someone else's system.... is pretty much pointless.

With that said... i'm off to camp a rare mob because i need to have more nerd points then anyone else. You know... cause that's so important.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Well said. People just need to calm down and stop freaking out about kills and just worry about themselves. If you are a good guild you know you are good and other guilds know who you are, you don't need a number to show that. Now stop talking about it, thanks.

Be careful of the words you speak. Keep them short and sweet! For you may never know, from day to day, which ones you will have to eat!

Ascendant

What we need is more threads talking about how people are QQing about rankings. I realize your post is the opposite of that, but its still discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutiel View Post
    Thats been in my sig. WIN!

my thoughts exactly.
    Telletha | <Breaking Bads> (R.I.P) | <Crayons>

Telaran

I can see what you're saying here and respect your opinion, but I think there IS something to say about 20 people who can coordinate at the drop of a hat and make things happen in a timely manner. I would think dodging the outside restraints of everyday life in order to do something you like to do whether it be partying all night and taking the day after St Patty's Day off with some bs excuse that you're sick, the Monday after the Super Bowl off for similar reasons, rearranging your schedule for some game you've been waiting for to come out for years (still waiting for Barbie Horse Adventure 7...), or even if you're one of those fanatics who took the day off to work to go make the midnight showing of Harry Potter 8 3/4 or whatever the last one was. I mean heck, no one was complaining when they thought they were number 1 this, or EU first that.

Rift Disciple

So let me see if I understand the OP properly, "pay no mind to rankings", well for some and probably most that is easy, but for others this is their primary hobby, good or bad, its their thing so I applaud them for wanting to be the best at it. Is their absolutely no fair way to have them? Well tell me one sport that factors in everything you said and makes it fair cause I dont think there is one in existence.

Grew up sports all my life, outside factors, time to train, conditioning, family etc, are all part of becoming a good athlete/gamer....

What I do think is unfair is how can you give the opp to test, then not tell the community just how much testing was done so the guilds like vooodoo etc do not have to hear any bs about unfair advantage blabla....

Release times could be better and give us some more of an advanced notice, if Trion tells us a month in advance, x raid is coming out on y date and sticks to it, and i dont take the day off to compete well hey thats on me, but they told us a week before when it would come out, I couldnt have taken the day off If I wanted to

For these reasons and others I think that Trion should be managing a progression site

ALL HAIL VOODOO, THEY DO SO MUCH FOR THE COMMUNITY.

To the poster, you are a ********.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Plavem View Post
    ALL HAIL VOODOO, THEY DO SO MUCH FOR THE COMMUNITY.

To the poster, you are a ********.

That is all.
    You seem upset, you want a lolipop?

KK

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post
    You seem upset, you want a lolipop?
    Apparently he already sat on one.

Forced name change FTL

KK - Warrior - A-Hole - Greybriar
    <Trinity> Retired

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Korean Killer View Post
    Apparently he already sat on one.

I LOL'D. lol
    Last edited by Rizaz; 04-25-2012 at 07:19 AM.

If there was any doubt in this before, the recent nonsense pulled by a few guilds (who shall remain nameless) on Rusila, along with several videos showing guilds completely ignore mechanics on the Scryer (yea i know i know.. trions/testers faults), means that any sort of "ranking" competition is as good as invalidated at this point.

*wink* Veev just go ahead and take it down....

Go for your server firsts and kills and whatnot but seriously.... why even bother anymore with concern to others for the most part. Enjoy your guilds kills (especially if they are legit and true to what Trion intended).

waits in corner for drama
    Last edited by No_Exit; 04-29-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Exit View Post
    waits in corner for drama
    Aren't we all?

*bookmarks thread*
    Nope.

Well, i think a major problem with our concept of "Competition" is because there actually WAS competition in this game at one point. Multiple bosses in HK took days or weeks to progress on, even for guilds like Voodoo/Addiction/Maximation/SO. Thus far in ID that is not the case.

I love ya Noexit, but i totally disagree. If this stuff was an actual challenge, then the slight testing advantage, and the slight scheduling advantage would be almost meaningless. Talk about advantage all you want, but the world first Sicaron, Rune King, and Akylios kills in HK were a competition. And when early bosses in an instance are a competition like RK and Sic were, then ultimately the entire zone is a competition.

The reason there is no competition in ID is because this crap is laughable, and is being cleared in one night. Now this is often testing guilds and guilds that find glitches, but there were glitches in HK too (manually purging matrons stacks anyone?) and guilds did use them to progress quickly at first, but once those were fixed many of the guilds that had cheated were unable to get past those bosses for a while. When they fix this asinine Wrathful Flame bug on Rusila it wont matter, those guilds will just kill her the normal way without batting an eyelash.

If the instance is actually a challenge, then every advantage you listed goes away. Once a week has passed, if a boss hasn't been killed, then no one can claim whoever kills it first had an advantage. Everyone had their chance.

ID is child's play, and it is being crushed, that's why there is no competition.
    Last edited by Gyle; 04-29-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast