+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mana Drains and keyboards.

Default Mana Drains and keyboards.

Hi,

I'm Asleep, an Inquisitor/Inquisicar/Warden Cleric from the Darkwind on Blightweald, and I am a mana user. as a mana user, I need mana to cast spells. In Hammerknell there are many monsters that have a proximity based mana drain; the idea of these mobs is that you stay away from them so that you have mana.

Two problems:
    1. To AoE at proper effectiveness, I need to stay close to the mobs so soul drain can hit the targets. (Cleric related issue; make Soul Drain a ranged spells, please?)
    2. Many mobs pull you in to their range, THEN slow you and drain your mana really quickly. No matter how quick you are in running away.

Mana drains on trash are a pointless mechanic, they are only annoying because you'll be standing around doing nothing when you go OOM and you gotta drink up after every pack. It'd be different if they didn't pull you in, or if I could do proper AoE DPS at range; but it isn't that way.

Please get rid of this pointless mechanic so trash becomes a little bit more enjoyable? This doesn't make it harder, just boring and slower for no good reason, with a mechanic that is hard to avoid if you get pulled in.

Good game design teaches us that challenges are hard, as long as we can control them/avoid them. These are hard to avoid, as such, they are frustrating.

Yours sincerely,
    Asleep
    Mana User

ps: To clarify the title, I keep smashing my keyboard because mana drains are annoying.
    Last edited by Verea; 04-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Plane Walker

Have you tried cabby for thrash?

If only one had a multitude of different roles available to which one could quickly and easily switch based on what was most appropriate for a given scenario.

Nah, let's just use our point-blank AOE spec on everything and then complain that mechanics are annoying.

Sword of Telara

These mechanics force us to adapt to the situation and think about what we are doing. This is something which works really well in Rift due to the nature of it's soul-system.

I don't mind it getting changed now for the more casual players (it would be more in line with the rest of HK), but I do hope the devs put stuff like this in ID.
    <Destiny Raiders>@Icewatch
    4/4 5/5

Love that sig Jinj, such beautifully accurate spelling.
    Yes, I raid in pink, what of it?
    FT: 4/4 :: EE:4/5
    Not copying strats since 2011

Ascendant

How dare the game force us out of our comfort zones and put us into non-optimal situations! The nerve!
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Protoskull View Post
    Love that sig Jinj, such beautifully accurate spelling.
    I can't believe I've been running around with a typo in my sig for 6 months and nobody even told me.
    <Destiny Raiders>@Icewatch
    4/4 5/5

It *is* kind of a dumb mechanic. Why have an anti-melee-cleric mechanic? There's already plenty of anti-melee mechanics in general. And a large majority of clerics and rogues play their ranged specs in raids. What does it add to the game having mechanics to discourage melee clerics when there are so few already? Should they add anti-melee-rogue mechanics too?

But OP, you're not even a melee cleric. You have a pretty good ranged AoE. Back up and use that.
    Last edited by Stay; 04-12-2012 at 12:57 PM.

just get ur raid leader to swap out roles to a mage that can sacrifice life: mana till the cows come home and find sumthing else to do, or 2 tank it and separate the mobs so u dont get pulled into the mana drain. Problem solvered
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Verea View Post
    Hi,

1. To AoE at proper effectiveness, I need to stay close to the mobs so soul drain can hit the targets. (Cleric related issue; make Soul Drain a ranged spells, please?)
    Cabalist AoE is all at ranged and better/comparable to Inquis aoe

2. Many mobs pull you in to their range, THEN slow you and drain your mana really quickly. No matter how quick you are in running away.
    Cabalist has a small teleport that should be good enough to get you out of range of the mana drain

Cleric Tank

As you are flying through the air, find your AoE Cleanse.
    As you hit the ground, cast the cleanse.
    This lets you run away without the speed debuff.
    Get out of melee range ASAP.
    There IS a delay before the mana drain hits, and you can escape without any loss.
    (Plus, everyone else can run out quicker too.)

Mana drains on trash are a pointless mechanic...

Please get rid of this pointless mechanic so trash becomes a little bit more enjoyable? This doesn't make it harder, just boring and slower for no good reason, with a mechanic that is hard to avoid if you get pulled in.

Good game design teaches us that challenges are hard, as long as we can control them/avoid them. These are hard to avoid, as such, they are frustrating.
    I disagree with your suggestion to remove the mana drains.

Annoying, Troublesome, and Frustrating?
    - Sure, it can be.

Boring?
    - No... au contraire. They lend a little excitement to an otherwise tedious grind.

Pointless?
    - No... the point is to keep ranged healers on their toes, and it does this very well.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

(Cleric related issue; make Soul Drain a ranged spells, please?
    Soul Drain does not need any additional changes like increasing range. It is already quite powerful with the ricochet effect.

I actually don't mind the mana drain, if I'm busy eating, I'll be OOM for some reason. Since I'm normally not OOM, it's good for reminding me that I'm supposed to just stare at my charge bar because that is the finite resource in combat that I need to monitor. Similarly, it gets all players affected focusing on efficient use of finite resources.

...and I will just use 51 cab next time I take my cleric into HK.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

Rift Disciple

I do agree that there is an excessive amount of mana drain, so much that it's essentially every trash pack in HK. It would be perfectly reasonable if it wasn't such a high % of the trash.

That said, I ran cabicar almost every trash pack last HK run and it's pretty awesome. Stop trying to run inquisitor on trash and just run cab.
    Xenotheos - 8/8, 1/4 (Kept the bench so warm I had to leave it)
    Dynitia - 7/8

Everyone is missing the point. It's not a challenge mechanic nor is it fun it doesn't force me out of my comfort zone. It's just plain damn annoying, standing at range has nothing to do with 'fun' or 'challenge', I can respec for trash, but why bother? I can just as well spam Circle of Oblivion.

It's pointless nor is it fun.

A game should always be fun above all, challenge comes next.
    (If anyone wishes to argue, I want my games to be really challenging as that's fun. Not 'fake challenging'.)
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Plane Walker

Cabalist is more fun than Shaman for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast