+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Five Bosses That Were (Almost) Impossible to Beat

Default Five Bosses That Were (Almost) Impossible to Beat

Blog post about the (almost) impossible boss encounters in the early days of Rift.

Five Bosses That Were (Almost) Impossible to Beat

Which bosses gave you a hard time?

General of Telara

The last boss in CC since it was bugged for the longest time. It was hard to get groups to go do that expert because of that lol

Someone forgot to add the nightmare that pre-nerf Scarn was.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Neat writeup! I usto love the old 5mans early on in the game
    I think the two hardest bosses for my groups at the time were Caelia the Stormtouched (there was one visual bug you had to get used to (where the lightning animation didn't match the hitbox location), but the hard part was to get groups to doge the wild lightning), and Mondrach and Autoch for t1 (the two manticores in KB that you had to tank just right), with a shoutout to some of those DSM bosses too like the boulder guy and the boss before him, and scarn in dd. But in terms of favorite bosses I think Scarn, Kaleida, and Plutonus the Immortal were ones that I heard a lot of ppl say they really liked. My personal fave though was Calyx the Ancient though, it was a lot of fun to try mix movement and chloro healing (at the time) and was just fun to work around I keep hoping they will make a Rotf mm!
    Last edited by Inixia; 04-11-2012 at 06:51 AM.

General of Telara

Yeah the last boss in CC was the only one my expert group didn't manage to beat before the massive expert nerfs

The Gatekeeper in DSM was a bit painful, but bringing healing debuffs solved it quickly enough.
    Jultharin gave us some trouble for a while also when we started T2s.
    Eliam in RD was also hard the first few times, with the low dps we'd often end up having a 8-10 add phase and nooby us were a bit slow at target switching & burning :P

DSM trash was insane, but being a 8-9k HP justilol tank in those days certainly made it harder on the group

Edit : Above poster just reminded of those 2 manticores. They were totally making me cry for not being a warrior able to spec paragon for WotM and getting bounced around the entire fight (or bumped inside a tree when I tried getting a nice spot)
    Last edited by Ethanol; 04-11-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitto View Post
    The last boss in CC since it was bugged for the longest time. It was hard to get groups to go do that expert because of that lol
    THIS!

I remember never going to CC because of Caelia, 3 hours of wipe, till we all gave up.

I also remember when i was about to go to my first xT2, when i finally got all my T1 set, was so excited
    Last edited by totinhas; 04-11-2012 at 06:41 AM.
    Shh, no tears, only dreams now.

I am surprised Scarn isn't at the top of that list, followed by Caelia.

I have to disagree with Chillblains, he was never hard, and Jultharin I think was always exploitable by climbing in the rocks to the side of the cave so the lasers would bypass you completely.

Kaleida and Konstantin, though, yes, definitely. Those can still be awful with a bad group.
    Akhet <Tabula Rasa> - Rogue
    World First Green Swirly Thing

Atrophinius in xRD was a nightmare the very first time, because there were no guides or other people that beat him yet.

Took us more than 3 hours and a ton of whipes until we finally get the mechanic 100% down (DPS was crap, because you had to use 2 fullhealers and maybe one support to keep the tank up).
    Once the strategy was clear, he got way easier, but it was really annoying to figure it out (because you usually whiped 10secs into the fight wihtout being able to test anything).

Scarn was way over the top too.

The wrong position of the lightning in xCC was a nightmare too, i agree.
    Rogue

bosses that stand out for me are...

1) Scarn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (eDD)
    2) Jultharin (eCC)
    3) Venoxa (eIT)
    4) Gatekeeper (eDSM)
    5) Bringhurst (eDD)
    Dragonskull - Faeblight: <Betrayle> Warrior Tank/DPS
    Laughingskull - Faeblight: Warrior DPS
    www.youtube.com/laughingskull92

Champion

Not sure why Jultharin and the werewolf are on there. Tank charges werewolf after howling, melee DPS run out of the fear on Jultharin. Caelia on the other hand was always a nightmare, even setting your graphics to the lowest setting so you could see which way she was facing wouldn't always work. I only ever found her and Scarn to be difficult because I was playing on a 5 year old PC that got about 5 FPS during those fights. It's a pain being the one to heal through the AoE damage on Scarn when you can't react in time if he decides to shoot at you in the air.

The second last boss in xDSM had a much harder DPS timer than Jultharin. You also had to hope your tank was capable of picking up all the adds before they ran to your support/healer and potentially one shot them.
    Greybriar Guardian Bard

Scarn when MDD first came out was pretty hard.

I remember wiping for a few hours on him. And to this day I think Bringhurst is one of the more enjoyable encounters as far as story..... "Get the hell away from that guy!" Always a good time.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    Caelia on the other hand was always a nightmare, even setting your graphics to the lowest setting so you could see which way she was facing wouldn't always work.
    Caelia gets my vote for toughest pre-nerf boss in the 5 man dungeons.
    Wipe after wipe after wipe....

Ya my first vote is for celia. The animation was unpredictable and we had to have people spread apart in a circle around her and see who died first (which often was not anywhere near the lightning) and we'd run counterclockwise from the dead guy.

Scarn was right up there too.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    Scarn was right up there too.
    Maybe it's possible....there was a time where healers in Rift were actually worse than today?

Pre-nerf Icetalon (AP). His random charge could crit, 1-shotting dps or healers.

Also Pre-nerf scuttlers charging people for 4k. AP used to be a bag of fun all around. I'll agree that Caelia was the worst though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast