• 1 Post By Glamour
  • 1 Post By ChainsawPlankton
  • 1 Post By MoonfireSpam
  • 1 Post By Jonus
  • 1 Post By Sariina
  • 1 Post By Gaieon
  • 1 Post By Staggerlee
  • 1 Post By ChainsawPlankton

Thread: Help me enjoy dungeons more, please!

Default Help me enjoy dungeons more, please!

I'd really love to get the most out of the dungeon experience, but so far it is not grabbing me.

The dungeon groups I have been in seem so repetitive. Nobody is afraid of wiping out. The entire group just moves forwards mashing buttons until things are dead, and then runs to the next room and repeats.

DPS have set rotations. They click through their memorized routines.

It seems like knitting! Or stocking shelves in a grocery store. Or some other rote sequence!

I have done this in guild groups as well as PUGs. It always seems the same.

Yet so many people like it, I can't help but think I am doing it wrong, with the wrong people.

If YOU were a level 29 mage or rogue (I have both) wanting to get into FUN dungeaons in Rift, what steps would you take?

Thanks for any advice from experienced, nice people!
    Last edited by Jural; 04-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Ascendant

find four other people who have never run the dungeon before

you are running through dungeons that most players can now do in their sleep. It's going to be faceroll not a lot you can do about that.

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

the normal dungeons are pretty much beginner mode especially the lower level ones, pretty sure a mage could tank most of IT or RotF.

although most level 50s now have the play experience and over gear the content enough that even expert dungeons are faceroll. if you can find some players that don't have exposure to the dungeons that could make it more interesting.

I can almost say that I've ran these same ol' dungeons a thousand times, literally.

I could probably walk you through every dungeon and tell you the mob placement and class composition of nearly every single pack of mobs in the dungeons, as well as their numbers.

The little tricks, the lesser known routes, etc have pretty much all been weeded out by a general bump in gear level and familiarity with specs and the dungeons themselves.

You would need a dungeon that is randomly generated for there to be what you're looking for. Or at least for the mob packs to be spawned randomly out of a preset selection of possible spawns.

... but then I'd bet you there'll be people who qq about it being random.

You need to find people who are either new to the content, or in very low gear.
    I've had a few experiences with blues/greens tanks. They are always the most 'challenging' as a healer cause I actually have to occasionally use CDs instead of continous Restorative Flame spam (if I'm not in Icar spec)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Jural View Post
    It seems like knitting! Or stocking shelves in a grocery store. Or some other rote sequence!
    Or possibly like some kind of Skinner Box? Welcome to MMOs.

Telaran

Default On making dungeons more fun

Hi Jural,

My suggestion would be to join a guild that does achievement runs and the like (note: post-50 only; achievements do not exist until then). Getting achievements requires coordination, understanding of the boss mechanisms, and a higher degree of play skill. I agree with you that just running through and mashing buttons isn't particularly interesting.

For pre-50, I'm not certain that there's a great solution, as many people use the dungeons to level, and they just want to get through to the end asap. To one of the posters' earlier points, maybe try to find a group of ppl at similar level who haven't run the dungeons before (?) Seems like it might be easier simply to level to 50 and go with achievement runs/chronicles/raids.

I wish you the best in your quest to make dungeons more fun!

Gaieon (in-game: Pryss, Becheral, Valkyrin) officer of <Mead Garden> Defiant raid guild on Faeblight

Indeed, join a guild, start running achievement runs, at least you have to do different things in them.
    Violalee/Staggerlee/RamblinRose
    Jaded Legacy Guild Rank 20 4/4 DH, 4/4 GP 5/5 GSB 4/4 ROS (conq.) 4/4 ROTP 10/11 HK 2/4 PF
    Shatterbone Guardians

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    You would need a dungeon that is randomly generated for there to be what you're looking for. Or at least for the mob packs to be spawned randomly out of a preset selection of possible spawns.
    I would love some randomly generated dungeons! I have to say the first time I went into mmCR was a ton of fun. not really knowing what to expect, sure we had some idea from the normal/expert versions, that and nearly every boss is don't stand in the cleave and watch out for the fire, the other big mechanic is los when they emote. but at the same time dps is so high in lots of runs that you completely avoid or only see mechanics a few times. but hey change is fun!

+ Reply to Thread