+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mana Leech

Default Mana Leech

So, basically we have this cleric in our guild who has a fixation with using soul drain on HK trash. This would be alright if it wasn't for the fact that he ends up dead most of the time. In mumble, he shouts out "It's Mana Leech!!" but we're all just thinking "The stupid ****'s gone and got cleaved again." He is adamant that he is getting killed by this mysterious skill which apparently only affects mana users in melee range but none of us believe him. It's got to the point where he is just using soul drain to prove a point.

My question is, does this skill really exist? Or is it that he really just sucks?

The mysterious Mana Leech! Will we ever know if it exists? And will we ever find out if the mysterious Cleric you are talking about has a name suspiciously like Habalid?

Questions over questions. But whoever our mysterious Cleric friend is - his sacrifice is not in vain! It's necessary to calm the gods of Hammerknell and provide us with shiny loots!

Just saying.

- Evi
    Last edited by Eviany; 04-05-2012 at 05:46 AM.

It does exist and it can hit very hard in lower hk trash after murd for around 4k damage per tick. I also believe it targets the closest caster, so if he is going in for soul drain he is probably getting smashed by it every time.

If you are still unsure, you can run ACT and double-check what is killing him.

It is most likely Mana Leech.
    It ticks for around 3-4 ticks of a ton of damage and needs to be healed through.

The ability seems to target only one person (probably has a long CD) and it will cast at someone with mana in melee range of the mob (forgot which mob/s cast it).

My advice would be either to not soul drain at all if your healers can't recognise the debuff and heal through it, or, get your cleric to get used to the range of soul drain, go into this range for a soul drain, then immediately rush back out.
    Soul drain is more or less used to provide the entire mobs with clinging spirit debuff so all your casters will deal more damage, thus making things go down faster.

Just need to make sure that either healers are aware of this debuff and heal through it, be lucky and not get hit, or just leave soul drain out. Perhaps next time, get an icar with mien of honor to do the soul draining; their healing breath + DoLs should help keep them alive (along with other clerics' normal use of dols).

Thank you for your replies. It seems we owe our cleric a big apology and will probably just shower him with relics when we kill Aky.

Quote Originally Posted by Hababa View Post
    Thank you for your replies. It seems we owe our cleric a big apology and will probably just shower him with relics when we kill Aky.
    Or - much more likely - transform him into a sheep numerous times throughout the whole raid zone for ****s and giggles.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eviany View Post
    Or - much more likely - transform him into a sheep numerous times throughout the whole raid zone for ****s and giggles.
    I hear this works a charm.
    --BC

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post
    I hear this works a charm.
    It does, especially if you have a raidforce with 20 sheeping wands

Yes the mana drain is real and it's almost a 1 shot until you get geared up. It's only cast by certain mobs in each pack and shows up as a debuff on them as it's pulsing. If your cleric is adamant that they want to be in melee range, make it their responsibility to monitor the specific mobs that cast it and leave melee range when the drain is happening.

Or do what the rest of us do and spec Cabicar for trash and leave Soul Drain at the door.
    Lucidium

Plane Touched

While Mana Leech is definitely a real ability and is definitely a HUGE pain for clerics to deal with (you basically can't apply Soul Drain or play Shaman on HK trash, EVER), I have to question why your cleric who repeatedly dies to the same mechanic doesn't figure it out.

It's not like it's just "bad RNG." The mobs that cast Mana Leech always cast Mana Leech, and in addition they and other mobs tend to drain your mana just for being near them. Tell him to stand back and just drop Circle of Oblivion repeatedly instead of trying to force his way through the snare and mana drain just to get one-shot by Mana Leech.

It's definitely faster to have the extra DPS alive the entire time and not have to stop and rez him after every trash pack because he gets killed by mana leech.

I'm a cleric too, and I almost always want to apply Soul Drain on HK trash, so I die occasionally, but I always know it's my fault and I try to stay back. It's a very frustrating mechanic, and one I feel is unnecessarily punitive only to clerics, but there's no denying that it exists, and your guy needs to learn to adapt to it and not just throw himself on top of the mobs to die every time.
    Tenethar -- Cleric -- Justicar Tank/Inquisicar/DPS
    Officer of <Static> -- 11/11 HK -- Wolfsbane PvE

Delvers cast Mana Leech, as well as Sadists on the second floor, I believe. It's only casted on mana users in melee range like you suspected. Once the Delver starts the channel, the target can't run away from it. It has to be healed through, and the only way to interrupt it is a knockback mechanic. Have your Warrior tank Sergeant's Order it if it starts the channel. However, the problem with this is that Delvers are always accompanied by Rangers/Marksmen, whose Concussion Bomb is more important to interrupt with Sergeant's Order.
    Ephex
    <Harmless>

Sword of Telara

Running away doesn't work, Mana Leech comes with a sick snare of about 80% or so. The mobs that cast this can't be interrupted with standard interrupts. Tell your Soul Drain cleric to target the mob that does the Mana Leech and to cast Excommunicate on it to itnerrupt it. Make sure he won't be hitting your tank in the back when he runs back after the knockback.
    <Destiny Raiders>@Icewatch
    4/4 5/5

Shield of Telara

Just don't use it, as mentioned previously use cabicar for trash, if you have a bunch of cabicars the trash doesn't last long anyway.

Sounds like a cleric tank I knew.

Tell him to put on MOA and he wont get main drained. :>
    Be careful of the words you speak. Keep them short and sweet! For you may never know, from day to day, which ones you will have to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Hababa View Post
    So, basically we have this cleric in our guild who has a fixation with using soul drain on HK trash. This would be alright if it wasn't for the fact that he ends up dead most of the time. In mumble, he shouts out "It's Mana Leech!!" but we're all just thinking "The stupid ****'s gone and got cleaved again." He is adamant that he is getting killed by this mysterious skill which apparently only affects mana users in melee range but none of us believe him. It's got to the point where he is just using soul drain to prove a point.

My question is, does this skill really exist? Or is it that he really just sucks?
    Our Guild Leader got killed by Polymorph once.
    This didn't surprise us much, because he's a really terrible player.
    But, it WAS one of the more creative ways he's held us back...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast