+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Multiboxing for dungeons...

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Multiboxing for dungeons...

So, I got to thinking. When I am tanking, I rely on finding a good healer. When I'm healing, I rely on finding a good tank.

And I have two accounts.

A bit of research yields a claim that Rift allows hardware multiboxing but prohibits software multiboxing, but I can't find a source for that.

No, I'm not planning on PvPing. Was thinking it might be fun to try to solo a dungeon at some point, although presumably I'd have to outlevel it some. Mostly just curious as to what tools are available, and what the actual policy is.

Certainly harder than in CoH, where it was enough to control-click a useful power you wanted repeated, type /follow, and then have your second character follow you around using that power. Tank with taunt aura up => I take no damage.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    So, I got to thinking. When I am tanking, I rely on finding a good healer. When I'm healing, I rely on finding a good tank.

And I have two accounts.

A bit of research yields a claim that Rift allows hardware multiboxing but prohibits software multiboxing, but I can't find a source for that.

No, I'm not planning on PvPing. Was thinking it might be fun to try to solo a dungeon at some point, although presumably I'd have to outlevel it some. Mostly just curious as to what tools are available, and what the actual policy is.

Certainly harder than in CoH, where it was enough to control-click a useful power you wanted repeated, type /follow, and then have your second character follow you around using that power. Tank with taunt aura up => I take no damage.

Seebs, this was the very first question I asked when I got my invite to alpha, because I have been 2 and 3 boxing for a dozen years. It's a playstyle for me.

I do mine the old-fashioned way, reach over and use the other keyboard and mouse and have never had a problem. Ever. In any game I have played, including this one.

As long as you are physically at your computer and NOT botting (automated play without a person present), you should be ok. (See note below)

I use a /follow macro when needed.

I tank/heal. I dps/dps. I heal/dps.

NOTE: The best place to ask about tools would be on the tech forum. Do a search there, I believe there were posts there addressing this (may take a little looking.)

PS: off to see if I can find those threads. There were some on the general forum from about a year ago. If I do in a timely way, I will post links.
    Last edited by Goldenwing; 04-04-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    *My guild was looking (in Rift) for engaging, meaningful additional outdoor endgame that is inclusive, dynamic, community-oriented, scaling, and strategic -- Real outdoor, persistent-world challenges that require thought, strategy, and cooperation.*
    Outdoor RvE for both PvE & PvP

Still finding links.

Looking for a good one.

Start with this:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-inside-3.html

Scripting is a no-no.

Broadcasting keystrokes is not. As long as you are at your keyboard.

Official word:

https://trionworlds.custhelp.com/app...w/multi-boxing
    Last edited by Goldenwing; 04-04-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    *My guild was looking (in Rift) for engaging, meaningful additional outdoor endgame that is inclusive, dynamic, community-oriented, scaling, and strategic -- Real outdoor, persistent-world challenges that require thought, strategy, and cooperation.*

Hmm. I am normally using keyboard in left hand, mouse in right, which sort of limits my remaining limbs that would be of use for controlling a second character.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

And one more, scroll down, for a Trion post:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ng-stance.html

Hmm. I am normally using keyboard in left hand, mouse in right, which sort of limits my remaining limbs that would be of use for controlling a second character.

I have my main in front of me, using left hand for abilities, 2nd PC is to the right, 2nd (smaller mouse) is to the right of my main mouse. I reach over and use mouse and keyboard with right hand.

My 23 year old also 2-boxes. He has a set up that lets him both move and mouse with right hand, 2nd pc to the LEFT of him. Reaches over to 2nd keyboard with left hand.

However, he only ever uses a healer on the 2nd account with a lot of macros. The character, in instances is mostly stationary.
    Last edited by Goldenwing; 04-04-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Go to dual-boxing.com for information about multiboxing. There's also a Rift forum there.

As posted above, what Trion does not allow is unattended gameplay. You're fine as long as you're actively controlling the gameplay on all characters and don't script so that a whole sequence of actions are triggered from just a button press. Basically, don't go outside the existing in-game macro system and clever keybinding settings.

An easy way is to have one keyboard/mouse control two computers. When you press "1", it goes to both computers and they both press "1" at the same time, etc. All you have to do is put your abilities and macros on the action bar slots you want. You would use /follow and /assist macros, so that if you for example press "f" your second character will start following you, "a" would make him assist you, etc.

You can also set it up so that some keyboard buttons only affect one of your characters. For example, the keyboard buttons on the numpad could only execute actions on your healer. Your tank may simply not have any keybinds for those keys, whereas your healer could have macros that cast various healing spells on your tank (e.g. "/target [YourName], /cast Heal").
    Last edited by Beringer; 04-04-2012 at 05:40 PM.

My hubby and I both two boxed a lot in EQ2. Two PCs, mice, and keyboards for each of us. We started doing it just because we had PCs we'd replaced and they were good enough if you weren't staring at them full time.

It takes a while to get comfortable with moving back and forth between the two. However, with some practice, we could do quite a bit on our own. He always had his tank on his main PC and I had my healer. His second was a buffing character and mine was DPS with a pet.

Honestly, after a while, it felt weird to not have two characters to deal with at once. When doing instances with friends and there wasn't room for our extras, it felt sorta dull. *laugh*

Here you have it

..nvm
    Last edited by One Chance; 04-04-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: ..nvm

For what it's worth, thanks to some helpful tips both here and in game, I now have a cleric-mage duo fighting their way slowly through Mathosia. Pretty fun!

For what it's worth, thanks to some helpful tips both here and in game, I now have a cleric-mage duo fighting their way slowly through Mathosia. Pretty fun!

/target the_real_seebs
    /cheer

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the update.

Soulwalker

Default Not sure if...

...this would help, but you could also look into gamming peripherals to ease this situation. I was thinking that picking up a Logitech G13 game pad would help immensly for those that 2-3 box. The built in macro system the G13 has would make it easy enough. My personal setup is this and the Naga. The 2 together with all of the button combinations and built in macro programs make setting up a 2ndary char hella-easy.

The only bleh point could be seen as learning to steer the 2nd-ary char using the 3rd person cam following your primary toon if your not into running multiple displays. If not... then simply fire up the game, switch the other monitors off and corral the 'herd' as it were from your main char's display.

Shadowlander

I use to 3 box in EQ. had tank and dps on one machine, and healer/support on the other. I would just tab game instances on the 2 toon box, and used a software KVM to switch to the other box. the KVM isn't as responsive as hardware, but i never had issues with it.

Soulwalker

I use ISboxer to dual box. Works great. Tons of features but takes some work to set up. The ability to capture mouse pointer and send to all screens to accept/finish quests or porting all characters from one screen is awesome.

I was thinking about that, because certainly questing is extra work, but my screens are not all the same dimensions, so I might not be able to use broadcasting that way. Might worth looking at anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast