+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I didn't Que DPS on purpose.

Shadowlander

Default I didn't Que DPS on purpose.

Lately with so many folks running experts with overpowered gear, it seems I get a lot of "please switch to full DPS spec" when I que as support, or even healer.

Well, I like running my cabicar in support/healer. I know 51 Inq is a popular dps build, but it doesn't fit my play style.

I like running the 5 mans, I enjoy them, not just for farming but for meeting new folks, etc.

For me the metric for a good run is "did I have fun?" or "was I challenged?"

Best run I've had in a while was a turbo-mode run with the tank pulling group after group. It was a blast healing/supporting that.

So, instead of asking me to DPS, speed it up so you need my heals.

With guildies in those situations (we are all over geared for experts) as healer sometimes I ask the tank to remove all armor and weapons... nekkid 'n knuckles. It makes it both more challenging to heal and for sure more entertaining.
    Last edited by Sarahnaide; 04-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.

I love speed runs under these circumstances too. One of my favorite tanks does just what you said, pulls the world and sees how well the healer can keep it up and the deeps can burn it down before we run out of steam.

There's tons of stuff a group can do to make an overgeared run more fun than just everyone going deeps. Boring.

Gogo 30 stacks on the werewolf!

Shadowlander

Also, going for new achievements is a way to turn an over-geared run into something fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Calffrey View Post
    Also, going for new achievements is a way to turn an over-geared run into something fun.
    i like to suggest an odd achievement too if i can trust the group...keeps it a bit entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Calffrey View Post
    So, instead of asking me to DPS, speed it up so you need my heals.
    Experts barely needed a support healer even before people outgeared them to a hilarious extent. You can do them without even needing a main healer now, an inquisicar is usually more than adequate, but since that "doesn't fit your style" you can either dink away at enemies while doing some super cool overhealing, or you can actually switch to something that's helping the group.

Most people running experts are over geared and looking for fast runs. That would only change if they no longer gave 250k + greater marks.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

The whole point of support is incase the regular roles need support.
    Why do you insist on harming and slowing the group for your on selfish reasons?
    People want you to dps because they want to be stronger and faster and your extra healing, buffs, or tanking is not helping.

If you rather be selfish and stick to your pointless "support" role, you'll just get rightfully kicked from the group.

Welcome to the downside of the soul system. As much as I like it, it does become an issue in cases like these.

I like playing Inquisitor. For a long time up through today, from raids to dungeons to warfronts to Instant Adventure, it's not been uncommon to be asked to go full heals since that's what clerics excel at. When the option is available to instantly switch specs, there will always be a segment of the population asking (sometimes demanding) that you play the "ideal" role (whatever the flavor of the month might be) since they know you can immediately swap.

So, play what you enjoy. There's always going to be "that guy" who strongly urges you to play what they want you to, or even worse, demands you do it because "you owe it to the community to play the best spec". The whole point of the soul system is finding your niche, it's just too often bastardized to mean "you must play the absolutely best spec for a given situation that your class has or you're a bad selfish person".

(And yes, both the above quotes are paraphrases of conversations that have actually happened, in game and on these forums, to me and others!).

Quote Originally Posted by ShinChuck View Post
    I like playing Inquisitor. For a long time up through today, from raids to dungeons to warfronts to Instant Adventure, it's not been uncommon to be asked to go full heals since that's what clerics excel at. When the option is available to instantly switch specs, there will always be a segment of the population asking (sometimes demanding) that you play the "ideal" role (whatever the flavor of the month might be) since they know you can immediately swap.

So, play what you enjoy. There's always going to be "that guy" who strongly urges you to play what they want you to, or even worse, demands you do it because "you owe it to the community to play the best spec". The whole point of the soul system is finding your niche, it's just too often bastardized to mean "you must play the absolutely best spec for a given situation that your class has or you're a bad selfish person".
    These are very good reasons, in my opinion, that if you have a role regardless of your class you have to be able to perform equally as well as any other class with that role.

To the OP I understand your desire to play support or whatever role you que'd as. The dungeons need to be made reactive to gear. They should adjust difficulty and reward based on the group that enters. This was actually done a bit in EverQuest - so the technology exists for random dungeons and difficulties, I don't see why it shouldn't be the default.

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

cabbycar as healer is the best way to do dungeons imo

with high spell power its aoe is great on the trash and the st dps isn't all that bad, although with everyone overgeared it will do enough healing even on boss fights. although a cleanse would be nice to have.

Banned

Doesn't the tool tip for the support role say something along the line of does damage, buffs and debuffs, or heals as needed?

So if they are asking you to do damage (and I'm remembering the tool tip correctly) aren't they asking you to just play your role?

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTCB View Post
    Experts barely needed a support healer even before people outgeared them to a hilarious extent. You can do them without even needing a main healer now, an inquisicar is usually more than adequate, but since that "doesn't fit your style" you can either dink away at enemies while doing some super cool overhealing, or you can actually switch to something that's helping the group.

except cabbycar does the better job over an inquisicar

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by JimboTCB View Post
    I agree, most can be 3 or 4 manned easily. 51 cabalist works great on trash mobs, especially on those moving multi-group pulls ... it's far more than dinking. And I still want a support healer in case of those odd pulls that get out of hand.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by EranB View Post
    The whole point of support is incase the regular roles need support.
    The whole point of the game is to have fun, if people find running a t2 dungeon a fraction slower so unbearble they should stop playing the game or alernatively keep their miserable play within guild runs.

...for your on selfish reasons?
    You mean like the guy who hates the game so much he can't cope with the fraction longer a t2 dungeon will take with a cabicar, so other should play the spec he wants.

If you rather be selfish and stick to your pointless "support" role, you'll just get rightfully kicked from the group.
    Last week we kicked a guy from the group who kept moaning at the person playing support (who was playing pyro/chloro) to change to full DPS, he was rightfully kicked from the group for being an a-hole.

The only time it is any merit if if the healer complains because they have nothing to do.
    Last edited by Flimble; 04-03-2012 at 12:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast