+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: scoreboard at end of instance

Default scoreboard at end of instance

a scoreboard similar to warfronts at the end of raids and dungeons would be awesome
    s

Plane Touched

I use DPS meters for my own personal information and to identify problems in group content every single day, but scoreboards at the end of PvE content would just lead to showboating and DPS e-peen flexing.

I can't see how this would be a good thing in any way except for DPS to pat each other on the back about their OMG AWESOME NUMBERS.

If people want to know they're doing such ridiculous DPS, let them parse themselves.

I would be in tentative favor (because I think it's unnecessary, not directly harmful) of a timer that times from first combat to the last boss death, a timer for each boss encounter, and a list of who got which achievements (if any) at the end, but anything more than that is going to lead to e-peen contests and won't be beneficial to anyone.
    Tenethar -- Cleric -- Justicar Tank/Inquisicar/DPS
    Officer of <Static> -- 11/11 HK -- Wolfsbane PvE

Agreed... It would be hard to score anything in the PvE stuff. It's hard enough with PvP.
    What about archons and bards that do buffs? Purifiers that prevent damage?
    Those are hard things to track and account for, so people will complain that the support wasn't helping or the healer wasn't healing.
    Just leads to bad times.

I would go with the suggestion for the timers and the achievements. Those'd work.

Quote Originally Posted by MajPayne21 View Post
    I use DPS meters for my own personal information and to identify problems in group content every single day, but scoreboards at the end of PvE content would just lead to showboating and DPS e-peen flexing.

I can't see how this would be a good thing in any way except for DPS to pat each other on the back about their OMG AWESOME NUMBERS.

If people want to know they're doing such ridiculous DPS, let them parse themselves.

I would be in tentative favor (because I think it's unnecessary, not directly harmful) of a timer that times from first combat to the last boss death, a timer for each boss encounter, and a list of who got which achievements (if any) at the end, but anything more than that is going to lead to e-peen contests and won't be beneficial to anyone.
    meters in game arent accurate and itd be faster than alt tabbing to check a parse.
    s

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by oniku View Post
    meters in game arent accurate and itd be faster than alt tabbing to check a parse.
    The only reason to have a scoreboard at the end of the run instead of a parse is to compare players, and that's not really helpful. People who want to know how they stack up to the others in their group can run their own parser.

Damage meters are controversial to being with. I'm not opposed to them at all but many people are. Back shortly after launch it was very common to see threads from people saying they hoped Rift wouldn't support addons because damage meters and such ruined other games for them blah blah blah. And despite being told by the devs before launch that they planned on allowing addons in the near future, it wasn't until the beta API got its subforum and we were able to point people to it and say, "They're coming, it's done, deal with it."

I don't run a damage meter with Rift but if I did, I wouldn't post the results for others to see unless they specifically asked to see them, and even then I would provide the information to them in private, not in party/raid chat.

The benefit created by a popup scoreboard/summary at the end of a dungeon run wouldn't outweigh the backlash from the segment of the community that doesn't want to be compared to "the elitists."

I would love it to be honest, but i agree that there are many people in Rift that would hate it and its not good for the game. You can already see their reaction to the meaningless Leaderboards, asking for an opt-out option and so on. But as for a scoreboard i expect to see many rage quits xD
    Last edited by Byona; 03-29-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    See you all in Wildstar!

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else so far, a scoreboard would do more harm than good. It also wouldn't be accurate, so there would be no real point to it if it wasn't reliable.

Individual parsers are better in the long run since they give skill breakdown and other in-depth information about encounters. A scoreboard would really only be for DPSers, since healing classes are all useful in different ways from each other (shields vs. direct heals, inquisitor variants, etc) and tanks .. well, how would you rate tanks on a leaderboard in a way that's accurately representative of their skill?

You really can't, since it's subjective.

It's a nice idea but I don't see how it could be implemented in an acceptable fashion.
    Akhet <Tabula Rasa> - Rogue
    World First Green Swirly Thing

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by oniku View Post
    How are meters in-game inaccurate given that they are parsing the same combat log that an out of game meter like ACT parses? Granted, the bounds for starting and stopping the parse might be different, but once combat is over, I would be extremely surprised if two parsing programs came up with wildly different numbers assuming they parsed the same sections of the combat log over the same amount of time.
    Tenethar -- Cleric -- Justicar Tank/Inquisicar/DPS
    Officer of <Static> -- 11/11 HK -- Wolfsbane PvE

Quote Originally Posted by MajPayne21 View Post
    How are meters in-game inaccurate given that they are parsing the same combat log that an out of game meter like ACT parses? Granted, the bounds for starting and stopping the parse might be different, but once combat is over, I would be extremely surprised if two parsing programs came up with wildly different numbers assuming they parsed the same sections of the combat log over the same amount of time.
    they mostly don't account for damage reduction and such, only direct damage and heal numbers. presenting this extra data in addition to accounting for AoE vs ST would probably be difficult to put into a small ingame interface that you could glance at.

also, all of these suffer from the inaccuracy of only reporting from when you are in combat, which a centralized scoreboard would likely solve.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 03-29-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Soulwalker

A scoreboard would actually be really cool. It should have "Avoidable damage taken" or "seconds stood in fire" for sure, and I'm sure there's quite a few more of these types of things that should be added.
    Last edited by ZanielGa; 03-30-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Scoreboards: Putting MATH back in FUN since ever.

Same thing goes for parsers.

Big numbers only lead to bigotry.

10-char

Quote Originally Posted by RyanCE View Post
    Scoreboards: Putting MATH back in FUN since ever.

Same thing goes for parsers.

Big numbers only lead to bigotry.

10-char
    Just because you don't find math fun, doesn't mean other people don't. And not to call out other people.

Without a parser, I don't see how a player (DPS) can really improve. It's not easy to compare specs unless you can see how much dps you are doing for each thing :/

That said, I also don't/wouldn't post parses publicly - and a scoreboard with it at the end is only ever going to lead to someone feeling disheartened.

If there was not so much variation in stats (gear/PA etc) and everyone had the same skillbar, a scoreboard would work, but raiding isn't really about beating each other, it's about working together.

DB1

Yeah score board would be a nice feature very easy to impliment even crappy DCUO has a score board for its instances.

50 Rogue 50 Warrior 50 Cleric

Rift Disciple

use a meter
    /closethread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast