+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No tankpets in a dungeon!

Champion

Default No tankpets in a dungeon!

This topic is just driving me nuts. I have two alts that i am levling with at the moment. I do dungeons of course. At this low level and at every second dungeon a rogue or a mage enters and decide it is really good to have a tank pet up. I have wiped so many times due to this that i lost count of it, and to a point that if i enter a dungeon now and they refuse to remove it, i leave the dungeon.

I understand that this is about not knowing or understanding the mechanics. I also understand it might sound like a great idea if the tank is new to his task and loose aggression, but believe men when i say it it is NOT A GOOD IDEA WHAT SO EVER.

Reasons are simple. Tank pet steals aggression from tanks. Good tanks might get it back, but at low levels, there is just not a lot of good tanks, and never the less the tank should not have to fight for the aggression with something that is not in anyway helping the team or the player it self through the dungeon.

Second reason to not have a tank pet. Your pet steals aggression, mob hit your pet, pet dies, first thing the mob goes to now, is the owner or the pet, owner dies, at this point if the tank managed to get aggression back, we can go on and usually let the mage or the rogue to continue to be dead, just to be sure we manage at least this fight.

Now other situations tank pets are stupid. Darkening deeps. Boss Werewolf. My god i wiped so many times here due to this. Tank pet moves in, steals aggression keep Werewolf in light, tank tries to get him to come, tank pet keeps him in light, Tank panics and do what he can, pet dies, Werewolf now moves to owner, and by then we are all dead.

And yes you might think that this is easy, and you can just kick the person, but no this is not the case, because many people are new, have never done it and think a tank pet is good, and that i am just a whiner. And until they actually realize that Oh she was actually right, well then we wiped a few times and we are all frustrated and upset.

Now TRION can you PLEASE add this information some were for new mages and rogues, to not use tank pets in dungeons. It should not be so hard to do, add it to the bores or the stone guys description, and you will save us a lot of time, frustration and argumentation.

If i was tanking a low lvl dungeon on my noob warrior which i haven't been on for months, and they did this I would mention it first in chat and if they don't remove it, purposely let the animal pull aggro - watch it die and then laugh as the person who's pet it is dies

Tbh though most people will remove the pet if you ask them :P

Thanks for the journey RIFT - It's been fun

Can also just disable autocasting of the force taunt to make it all work out.
    Read my Comprehensive Warrior Raid Tanking Guide and Warrior Tank Leveling Guide!
    RIP Affinity. Beta 3 - 5/10/12.
    ID 4/8 | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

If you aren't second highest on the mob's aggro table after the pet, you're doing something wrong, I've encountered people using tank pets quite a lot, never found it a problem, if they want to risk death that's their problem, it's easy enough to pick up the mob after it kills them before it hits someone else if you really are that up your own arse that you want to teach them a lesson.

Outside of the werewolf boss, I really can't think of a boss where there would be a potential problem using the tank pet. Also, I've never had anyone in a dungeon flat out refuse to do something reasonable I asked them, especially after a thourough explanation of why it's bad and not just throwing insults at them, maybe you're just not very good with people. The odd time you find someone who's that much of an a-hole, I'm sure your group will be happy to help you speed them on their way the hell out your group.
    Last edited by Zaiana; 03-25-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    "If the young are not initiated into the Village, they will burn it down just to feel it's warmth"

Ask them nicely to remove the pet. If they don't just afk and make some cookies.
    Be careful of the words you speak. Keep them short and sweet! For you may never know, from day to day, which ones you will have to eat!

Champion

Wow a lot of assumptions here. I am a 40 year old woman, i know how to speak to people and how to say please. I am never rude, and i always take my time to explain and help were i can.

And yes i have met several players refusing to remove them. And yes i have been wiped due to the pets on other bosses then the Werewolf, i even been wiped at mobs due to this.

And just to be clear, i am not a tank, i am mostly a healer or support and as you know, healers are usually the one that get smacked down first after tank loose aggression.

So again, this is a real problem at lower levels, and within the last two weeks i wiped about 10 times only due to tank pets, and there for i wrote this post, to inform those that do not know about this and maybe spare others by informing about it, and hopefully get TRION to inform about the problem some were along the way for new players.

Well... if you're a healer, don't heal the pet nor owner. Don't rez the owner if their stupidity caused the problem. Call it out, but probably nothing will be done if the tank doesn't have an issue with it. If you're the tank, tell them to stop then votekick if the noob refuses. Any pug with half a brain cell will go along with this. Don't push the issue if you're not tanking, imo.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
    Well... if you're a healer, don't heal the pet nor owner. Don't rez the owner if their stupidity caused the problem. Call it out, but probably nothing will be done if the tank doesn't have an issue with it. If you're the tank, tell them to stop then votekick if the noob refuses. Any pug with half a brain cell will go along with this. Don't push the issue if you're not tanking, imo.
    It is not as if i can redirect my aoe heal, it goes were it is needed, and i will mostly be the next target if the tank is not good enough, which is rare at that level.
    Also there is no tank pets at higher levels, because they will be smacked at some point so hard that they finally get the message, so i don't see why TRION can not inform about this in a early state, for example in tooltip or what ever, since it actually is a fail to have them there, and problem will be a easy fix.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leaa View Post
    i don't see why TRION can not inform about this in a early state, for example in tooltip or what ever, since it actually is a fail to have them there, and problem will be a easy fix.
    I would prefer no tooltip changes, since tooltip changes end up removing useful numbers from tooltips and replacing them with vague explanations. Moving a DPS pet down the tree so it is usable with fewer points in a soul would be my preference.

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

So is all of this in regards to one boss, the dd wolf? That's what it sounds like. In that case, everyone would boot the noob with the pet taunt... a no brainer. Otherwise, as was already pointed out, if the tank is not right behind the noob's pet on the aggro table, something is very wrong.

Prophet of Telara BrownsMageNerfDelivery's Avatar

Nah, the wolf in DD is the only boss where it can create an aggro issue that will easily wipe a party. Otherwise it usually just kills the person who owns the pet...which should be an adequate lesson.

Emphasis on "should."

World Best
    AT LEAST 20 MOTHER****ERS TRIED TO BAN ME BUT I'M STILL HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gile View Post
    We do not want to carry you like GO had to for SO So go kill yourself
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAN AIN'T ONE

The main problem at the moment, at least on the mage front, is that one of the Purposes Trion introduced emphasises the Earth Elemental and so most new players just use it blindly without knowing it even has a taunt.

You just need to explain to them to turn it off and they almost always will.
    If you sound knowledgeable about the game then they assume you know more than them as they are new players usually and will do whatever you tell them.
    Nope.

Champion of Telara Sargonnas_KoA's Avatar

Newer players are the only people that should have a tank pet out because they don't know any better. Anyone with experience knows never to use them unless a specific situation requires it. A heavily geared mage can keep a Skeletal Knight up even against many kinds of elite mobs.

I remember making this mistake the first couple of times I did expert dungeon runs. Nobody cared what pet i used when i was in regular dungeons, and I used the tank pet all the time while leveling, but I learned quickly to change to the melee dps pet.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sargonnas_KoA View Post
    Newer players are the only people that should have a tank pet out because they don't know any better. Anyone with experience knows never to use them unless a specific situation requires it. A heavily geared mage can keep a Skeletal Knight up even against many kinds of elite mobs.

I remember making this mistake the first couple of times I did expert dungeon runs. Nobody cared what pet i used when i was in regular dungeons, and I used the tank pet all the time while leveling, but I learned quickly to change to the melee dps pet.
    This!

This is what i want to have a change from start, because tank pets have no place in a dungeon, and if you use them in higher levels you will eventually be smacked hard. So TRION should in some way inform both Rogues and Mages about this. Especially since they have decided to use a premade spec, with this pets, for new players who have no clue what to pick and what to do and even less clue how they really work.

I understand that this players are doing it because they do not know better, and i put down a lot of time explaining, and everyone of those that actually do listen i properly say thank you to.
    And i been patient and even let it slip once in a while and waiting for the others to go crazy about it, because at low levels many new tanks have problems to keep aggression over all, so something will happen and the coin will drop. How ever i do also value my own playtime, and being in a dungeon for hours wiping out of stupidity and stubbornness, that's were my limits goes and this is what i want to change with info from the game it self.

I tank t2s with an Elementalist pet. Don't hate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast