+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Vote Kicking from Instances

Rift Chaser

Default Vote Kicking from Instances

Ah......I bet you lot where expecting a rant from me over being kicked - !

But by and large vote kicking is working OK as intended here. There are times when you just have to kick, such as afk, disconnecting, or the (rare so far here in Rift) trolls who "need" on every drop regardless of if they can use or equip such item.

My point is a little different.....

I was kicked twice in 2 days, the first time there were 4 other people in the same guild albeit on another realm from me, I was kicked after doing all the trash to the first boss because they wanted to invite their guild mate in to do the boss

The second time was totally my fault, I made a mistake on a boss and died (did not hide), I instantly apologised and explained is was the first time I had done that Instance at expert level.

I got kicked and was not even rezzed - that is a bit bad mannered

---------------

My points ?

1) It would be nice if you could not be kicked on the first time ever you complete an expert or other Instance, unless you disconnect or are afk for say 3 minutes

2) The same as (1) to apply if you are with another group who are all in the same guild, at any time.

3) You cannot be kicked for the first 10 minutes or the second boss in except afk or disconnect as in (1)

4) Being consistently kicked from an Instance, say more than 3 times in 24 hours gives you a 2 hour random instance cooldown of game time played, where you cannot join a random group unless all in the same guild. This latter point to prevent abuse and as a polite warning to improve your game.......-

Any views (hides)
    Last edited by Gardy; 03-23-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Just like in real life... you have impatient [Edit] and compassionate people. Both of them often don't play well together and both of them often want things done their way when push comes to shove. When you can solve this problem amicably, you sir, have found a key to solving the human condition.
    Last edited by Alyn; 03-23-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: inappropriate language

Shadowlander

I agree the first time with the guild was very uncalled for and innapropiate. For the second time there will always be elitists that want to shoot through and not have time for helping new people.
    Welcome to life :P
    Last edited by Sebastian123; 03-23-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardy View Post
    1) It would be nice if you could not be kicked on the first time ever you complete an expert or other Instance, unless you disconnect or are afk for say 3 minutes

2) The same as (1) to apply if you are with another group who are all in the same guild, at any time.

3) You cannot be kicked for the first 10 minutes or the second boss in except afk or disconnect as in (1)

4) Being consistently kicked from an Instance, say more than 3 times in 24 hours gives you a 2 hour random instance cooldown of game time played, where you cannot join a random group unless all in the same guild. This latter point to prevent abuse and as a polite warning to improve your game.......-

Any views (hides)

If you aren't meshing with a group and you refuse to leave, they should have every right to remove you from that group whenever they feel like it. They aren't obligated to hold your hand or train you how to play your character.

You should walk away a little more equipped for the next group, with an understanding of something you should avoid doing to prevent being removed a second time.

Having leveled three level 50 characters (Working on my 4th), I can honestly tell you I've never been removed from an instance group. If you are paying attention and communicating to your group, you shouldn't be removed either.
    Last edited by Zahne; 03-23-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    Greybriar: Rikko (Warrior) / Mizcreant (Rogue) - Defiant

First kick: That happens all the time. It's a guild group, you're just a guest (yes, even though it's "random")

Second kick: You were probably kicked not for messing up on the boss, but for waiting until after the wipe to say that you had never done the fight and not asking for the strat before the fight started. Kick was justified imo.

Suggestions: No to all of them.

Banned

I wouldn't mind seeing a 24 hour debuff that stacks and each time you get vote kicked from a group you get a (X-1) * 30 minute non-queue penalty, where X is the number of stacks of the debuff. This way others could see if you were recently kicked from a group, and also if you get kicked multiple times within your 24 hours of the most recent kick the penalty keeps getting longer and longer until the 24 hours is up and the debuff wears off.

Right now you get things like people asking to be kicked because you don't get the deserter debuff if you get kicked, but do if you leave.

Meh - in principle I find the kick system works quite well here, how particular A-holes choose to use it is something Trion or similar will always struggle to contend with unless it's hand moderated by a GM.

To the OP, that is awful on the first instance, but again 'it happens.

As for the second I partially agree with Swag, you were kicked (by the sounds of it) for not saying you didn't know the tactics, but, and here's the real kicker, I've never known a group kick a player for one death, the chances are you were kicked for a combination of low dps (yer new to the expert so I assume = poor gear = poor dps) and not knowing, or admitting to not knowing a critical boss mechanic + other possible failures.

As per your suggestions, as much as I appreciate the sentiment behind them consider the following:

In both cases (particularly the second) it would mean that someone could act like a complete arse and not be kicked. For example I've had two occasions where someone joined a group completely and utterly smashed out of his skull. They walked off cliffs, pulled mobs etc. I also had an incident where a player got upset about losing out on a need roll that they proceeded to wreck the run... These are isolated incidents but they've happened more times than I've been kicked from PuG's (which I think is never).

If I was going to be kicked I'd rather be kicked at the beginning, rather than close to the end else I've wasted 10-30mins to be booted before the final boss and my GMoA's

4) Being consistently kicked from an Instance, say more than 3 times in 24 hours gives you a 2 hour random instance cooldown of game time played, where you cannot join a random group unless all in the same guild. This latter point to prevent abuse and as a polite warning to improve your game.......

Prolly your best suggestion, but I'm still not keen on it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    Second kick: You were probably kicked not for messing up on the boss, but for waiting until after the wipe to say that you had never done the fight and not asking for the strat before the fight started. Kick was justified imo.

Thats not a good reason to kick someone imo. All those non guild runs I've done in expert has been filled with either a tank who rush off before everyone is at the boss or people who complain about bad dps or the oh so annoying "go go go go go go" people. Heck I got kicked once because I said it was my first time tanking THAT dungeon!
    I've played MMO's for the past 10 years and this is a fairly new behaviour, which unfortuently started with another famous game which we all know oh so well.
    I think people tend to forget how it was to be new to a game/mmo or a fresh lvl 50 and thinks everyone know exactly what to do and where to go and what to look out for. Relax a bit! its not the end of the world if you take 1 min to rezz the poor dead one or to explain the tact before a boss fight or even ask if everyone know the tact before a boss.
    Beside all these dungeons are suppose to teach you how to play your toon, gear it up and get it ready for all the end games. ;)

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    First kick: That happens all the time. It's a guild group, you're just a guest (yes, even though it's "random")

First kick - Swag, i don't agree use of the random Instance finder where there are 4 in the same guild implies i am a "guest", if however it was a pug on the same server that is different

Second kick - yep my fault no dispute BUT if they had rezzed me and then asked me to leave i would have complied, the thing that was mildly annoying was being kicked without being rezzed, as i said that is bad manners imho

Your dps was too low.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Soulwalker

OP, when you entered the instance for the first time, did you announce it to the group that it was your first time and you'd welcome any suggestions and apologized ahead for making mistakes?

If the answer is no, then you are kicked appropriately.

I've ran into so many tanks/healers/dps who come in, silent to the normal "hi, how is it going" and then wipe the group because it's their first time. Everyone has their first time, but a little communication helps the whole group to give heads up to new players.

If your gear is too low or your dps isn't up to par to the normal average. Go run Chronicles, go run a few Normal dungeons, join a guild and learn with guildies.

Being a new 50 player isn't an excuse to mess up everyone else's gaming experience. Learn the fights online, know what to do and what not to do. Gear up to at least out dps a tank/healer and then you won't get kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by iKorzak View Post
    I've ran into so many tanks/healers/dps who come in, silent to the normal "hi, how is it going" and then wipe the group because it's their first time. Everyone has their first time, but a little communication helps the whole group to give heads up to new players.

If your gear is too low or your dps isn't up to par to the normal average. Go run Chronicles, go run a few Normal dungeons, join a guild and learn with guildies.

Being a new 50 player isn't an excuse to mess up everyone else's gaming experience. Learn the fights online, know what to do and what not to do. Gear up to at least out dps a tank/healer and then you won't get kicked.

I agree with this 100%.

I do not mind if your character is full greens and has never stepped into an instance. But give the group a heads up so people can help you out or tell you what you need to be doing. Otherwise, you are wasting people's time and deserve a kick.
    Greybriar: Rikko (Warrior) / Mizcreant (Rogue) - Defiant

Ascendant

Hmmm...I understand the sentiment, but I don't support the "solution".

At the end of the day I think that when you join a random group that you put yourself at the mercy of a random group and the vote-kick is there as a buffer between you and a kick-happy party leader. Occasionally the system gets abused and people are kicked for ludicrous reasons, but there's not a whole lot that can be done about that.

Telaran

If a group is really wiping because one guy has subpar DPS they should kick themselves out of the instance for being such Tier 2 Losers.

Kicking someone for one wipe/ one death is pathetic and there is no excuse. People who excuse this disgust me with their own subpar gaming skillz. Just admit that you are budget (even if you have managed to con a guild into gearing you up).

The real problem is global QUE. Games should never allow you to que with anyone not on your server. That way Reputation Matters. When you have Global Que...... rep means nothing.
    Last edited by Wihtgar; 03-23-2012 at 07:14 AM.

In my opinion kick should only work when afk, otherwise the group should be able to disband without 30min penalty, and yes, start the instance from the beginning. It is not that they take that long. Kicking to allow a guildie to join is simply bad manners. I am puzzled that some even defend it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast