+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Newbie tank and slight anxiety

Soulwalker

Default Newbie tank and slight anxiety

Might be long so I expect a few of you to tl;dr

I found rift on the cheap and decided to give it a few months of my life since I don't have much else to play right now. That said I always choose a warrior class for the various mmos I've played and my friend tells me I can be a tank. My friend took some vacation time away so he decided to start a new character to experience all the stuff he missed. He plays cleric so I have someone I can count on when I run in dungeons.

But he doesn't play as much as me because he works full time and I have this weird anxiety when I run dungeons by myself. Granted the dungeons I run are just the ones I can as I progress to 50. When I have to tank for people I don't know I just get this feeling of anxiety in my stomach.

I've never played an mmo where I had to take an active role in parties. I know some of you might be like, "oh its just a newb, qqing over his newbness". That's fine I expect it but will the feeling go away if I run enough LFG dungeons without my friend? Or will I just have to suffer through knowing I might **** up or my cleric won't be able to keep up, or the dps and support aren't doing... whatever they do right?

I appreciate any advice on the subject

tl;dr version:
    I'm a newb tank and I'm terribly uneasy with my job in dungeons. Will it get better?

Quote Originally Posted by Eiroks View Post

tl;dr version:
    I'm a newb tank and I'm terribly uneasy with my job in dungeons. Will it get better?
    I did a dungeon with someone with the same anxiety. Tank died a few times in the process. Remember, this is a game. If you cant enjoy yourself then you are doing it wrong. if the rest of your team cant understand that you are new and learning or refuse to help and explain things, then they are not worth playing with.

Dont be afraid to leave a hostile dungeon team even if it costs you an abandonment penalty. it's only 30min, so who cares really? It's their loss.

Hope this helps...and remember, HAVE FUN!!!!
    Last edited by Neo Omni; 03-22-2012 at 08:22 PM.

I was like that when I first started playing MMO's and chose a healer. It will pass.

Look for a nice guild that does 'stuff' together, and you feel comfortable with. That will make it sooo much easier.

Have fun

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

It probably will get better. It's... I mean, yeah. It can be stressful. As you succeed you'll build confidence. The big turnover is when someone starts complaining about what you're doing and gets booted by the group because they like you.

Basically, the reason you're nervous is that you're either good or on your way to being good. That means you're aware of your limitations. That makes you more nervous than a lot of people would be. It also makes you a better tank.

Just remember: By the END of a typical run, if you hadn't been there, the group might have zoned in. Tanks are important.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Telaran

That worry does go away I assure you. The best way to combat it is find a regular group with which to play. If that isn't possible, then the LFG tool will eventually get you past it. Do your homework on the dungeons, and make sure to let people know you're relatively new to this. You never know, sometimes you get some great advice. Ignore the jerks, and have fun!!
    Aryanna (60 Rogue) - Faeblight Guardian
    <Black Hearts Clan>

Your tank just needs some planar diazepam. It's all fun and games, and like anything - practice makes perfect. Most humans are not natural pro's the first time they attempt something at all. Nice people will most likely help you, and the people who are jerks to you - probably aren't people you would care to hang with in game anyway.

Like if you go to a new college. Day 1 you know nobody and don't even know what direction you should be walking in. Day 100 you got friends on all floors, know a few of the staff members and could map the place out in a 10m drawing sketch.

Honestly, newbs are completely fine. It is the stubborn newbs that can be annoying. A newb is a genuine state everyone is at one time. But it's the people who refuse to take advice, adjust, or blame everyone but themselves for a bad situation. I almost feel bad when a tank humbly admits he feels he is the reason the group is doing bad and offers to leave, even if it is true. I don't like to see people fail and suffer. Just keep an open ear and try to learn and adapt. It's like riding a bike No way to do it but to hop on and pedal.
    Last edited by Violacea; 03-22-2012 at 08:36 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ascendant

There's a reason tanks are in short supply relative to dps. Nobody wants to do it. Tanks and healers are the bookends of the group. A dps can die and in most cases, people often don't even notice (or don't care if they do notice). If the tank or healer dies, people tend to notice right away.

Just do the best you can, give appropriate consideration to the constructive feedback you receive, and when you get the occasional raging dork don't let it get to you. Leveling dungeons are the place to learn. I've thought about doing a tanking guide video but I'm not sure if anyone would take a level 50 warrior in PvP gear tanking a regular (aka non-expert dungeon) with guide commentary seriously.

It's all about building confidence.A solid tank spec and learning the dungeons like the back of your hand really helps alot.What can really boost this along is by running in a premade group of people that you're comfortable around, instead of using the LFD.

That said, using the lfd tool is like playing the lotto and can sometimes hurt a new tanks confidence by being in a terrible group.Having very poor group dps for example can be stressful for a tank whos tanking a mob that dumps aggro frequently.When you're fighting a mob (that should die in 30sec) for nearly 5min and it keeps turning around on the group it's bound to kill someone eventually.Ofcourse to the noobs who die it will be your fault for not holding aggro on a mob that's scripted to memwipe aka aggro dump/drop.Some noobs died to frontals? Thats your fault.people standing in fail effects (such as fire) and dying? you guessed it brotha..somehow thats your fault too. Everything is the tanks fault just remember that and you'll be ok =P

So yeah, pugging as a tank can be painful unless you have some pretty thick skin.
    Last edited by XaviourEQ2; 03-22-2012 at 09:44 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

When I was first trying out tanking for serious, I talked to tanks I knew, built a spec, spent a couple of days crafting and otherwise obtaining gear, then started trying. My first group was awful, and I thought I wasn't good at tanking. But I ran into someone who agreed to tag along while I practiced, ran a few more dungeons, and eventually got pretty good.

Now I know: That first group had people who were simply uninterested in playing competently. Part of the job of DPS who are three raid tiers ahead of a fresh-level-cap tank is to not go all out, but watch their aggro. I wasn't doing anything wrong except being less geared than the DPS were patient.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Champion of Telara

Best bet is to actually get to know more people in the game via joining a guild and running with them.

Using the LFG system is a good way to get an abusive party member who will spit on you for 'being such a poor tank'. Tons of jerks around (mostly playing DPS).

Having said that, if you look at it from their perspective, running with an inexperienced tank and constantly wiping in a dungeon is no fun either. A T2 which takes 30mins to run feels extremely painful if you have been in there for 2 hrs. So do your homework first before running the dungeons. Know your fights, know the mechanics.

It's not at all strange to feel anxiety. Today's "LFG" scene in MMO's is horribly hard on group members compared to the camraderie we knew back in games like EQ where you'd spend hours in a group and make friends for years.

Healers and tanks suffer the most slings and arrows so to speak. Tanks somewhat more at times because the entire pace of the dungeon is left to them. And everyone wants to go-go-go rush through.

Tanking well is a skill that takes a while to learn, and many players give up before they get there due to being rushed through situations that should be learning experiences.

Best thing is, if you aren't already in a guild, try to find a nice family-style guild. One that wants to learn content together. Those can be the most fun, as you all try new roles and dungeons together and have patience with each other.
    Ashrai@Deepwood
    Sporeslinger of <Godlike Awesomeness>

I found rift on the cheap and decided to give it a few months of my life since I don't have much else to play right now. That said I always choose a warrior class for the various mmos I've played and my friend tells me I can be a tank. My friend took some vacation time away so he decided to start a new character to experience all the stuff he missed. He plays cleric so I have someone I can count on when I run in dungeons.

But he doesn't play as much as me because he works full time and I have this weird anxiety when I run dungeons by myself. Granted the dungeons I run are just the ones I can as I progress to 50. When I have to tank for people I don't know I just get this feeling of anxiety in my stomach.

I've never played an mmo where I had to take an active role in parties. I know some of you might be like, "oh its just a newb, qqing over his newbness". That's fine I expect it but will the feeling go away if I run enough LFG dungeons without my friend? Or will I just have to suffer through knowing I might **** up or my cleric won't be able to keep up, or the dps and support aren't doing... whatever they do right?

tl;dr version:

As everybody else said, play with a group of steady friends/guildmates who can help you when there are rough spots and are willing to coach, wipe or whatever until you get your "sea legs" so to speak.

-- I have 2 things to add:

1) Tanking is something you really have to want to do. If you love the ability to be a protector, or meat shield (as we used to call it), leading the way, controlling the pull (back off DPS, I'm talking to YOU), and working WITH the healer, instead of expecting them to carry you through everything..........

....then stick with it. It will get better. Nerves are natural. There's a "performance" kind of feel when you first start out, especially in a dungeon you have never been in before.

2) One of the best ways to learn dungeons you may not be familiar with is to go as DPS or better yet: healer. Pay attention. Watch what happens, try to get a feel for what the tank (if it's a good one) is doing, watch for any little tricks you see that tank doing that you can use. However, in the end, your tanking style should be the one that works for YOU.

Read up, watch videos, cruise the forums, especially the warrior board for anything that will help you feel more comfortable with the mechanics of dungeons/pulls.

Then, the more you practice, it's up to you to gain confidence in the execution.
    Last edited by Goldenwing; 03-22-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    *My guild was looking (in Rift) for engaging, meaningful additional outdoor endgame that is inclusive, dynamic, community-oriented, scaling, and strategic -- Real outdoor, persistent-world challenges that require thought, strategy, and cooperation.*
    Outdoor RvE for both PvE & PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenwing View Post

Read up, watch videos, cruise the forums, especially the warrior board for anything that will help you feel more comfortable with the mechanics of dungeons/pulls.
    or, simply run the dungeon as dps a few times. ;)

dps usually gets some leeway (unless you have the idiot in the group who thinks 3k dps are needed in a T2) and you can see how other tanks do the fights. saves some time and wipes if you try to figure it out for yourself and never seen it before (=less drama).

in the end, having guild or populated friendslist usually makes things a lot more easier and more pleasant.

tl;dr version:
    In short, yes, it will.

In long - Rift is the first MMO i've made a tank. I had the same problems... mostly doubting my capability of actually holding aggro more than anything else. I forced myself to do it and as I did, I got better and better. I find myself more often than not saving other players from their own mistakes rather than making any myself... all comes with experience.

tl;dr version:
    Practice makes perfect. As a Healer, I can tell you I am not annoyed by a Tank that is new to the position, or who is struggling a bit. As long as you are trying to learn and improve over time, you'll be just fine. My suggestion: Find a leveling guild and work with them. You should be able to hit up their Tanks for tips as needed, while running dungeons with folks who have a vested interest in seeing you succeed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast