+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bitnine

Thread: Lowest HPS on Akylios?

Sword of Telara

Default Lowest HPS on Akylios?

Everyone lists kill times or DPS or how many alt runs they've done it with, but none of this really relates to the mechanics of the fight. In that vein, I was curious as to what the lowest HPS people had gotten, as this would constitute a large cross section of mechanics from interrupting, add control, dodging breaths, Mind control stacking, use of defensive cooldowns etc. Anyone else keep track of HPS for this fight? I mostly see around <4k for a decent attempt, but was curious as the floor for the achievement and it seems like a much more competitive achievement as opposed to just full on DPS.

Champion

Intentionally taking damage (or not avoiding damage) if you know that both a)it won't kill you (your healers can handle it) and b)it will speed up your kill would qualify as a more impressive kill IMO.

Wouldn't that largely show who has more melee-groupables in their composition to comfortably dull the peak damage of those orb hits?

Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    Wouldn't that largely show who has more melee-groupables in their composition to comfortably dull the peak damage of those orb hits?
    it's the same amount of dmg, just split by more people. HPS in theory would be identical?

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Veev View Post
    Intentionally taking damage (or not avoiding damage) if you know that both a)it won't kill you (your healers can handle it) and b)it will speed up your kill would qualify as a more impressive kill IMO.
    It would be a faster kill, I agree. However, I wouldn't be impressed by a raid full of people who stand in breath, eat waves, slowly group up for mind control, overlap AOEs to cause massive raid damage, and don't interrupt when it's off GCD just because the healers can handle it and moving from their stationary position causes 1-2 GCD loss of damage.

Yes, it's all possible to do that and get a kill, but I've rarely found an instance where purposely ignoring mechanics was a net gain to DPS.

Kudos to healers who do have to deal with people who do this though, intentionally or otherwise.

Edit: Only way to reduce HPS and damage from orb is to summon squirrels (Ultimate Hunter) to split the damage, as you don't need to heal it. Or have 1 person die alone as it's less HPS. Still poor playing though.
    Last edited by AquaSquirrel; 03-14-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Use 2 puris with at least 38 puri for the shield? Those shields being erected every 30 seconds should do wonders for your HPS(as long as they are erected before damage is taken).
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by gfiz View Post
    it's the same amount of dmg, just split by more people. HPS in theory would be identical?
    If it's a 6k hit, you need to keep people topped off and heals flowing to avoid deaths, particularly with concurrent raid damage. If it's a 2k hit, you can be more judicious and cut out the overhealing. Stack a bunch of melee and then slot in some Puris for non-HPS shielding and you'll be able to schedule appointments for each heal and make sure no more than necessary are used.

Not to mention that shields obviously negate damage. Toss in full uptime for PtF and Motif of Tenacity, and whatever other buffs/debuffs, and you've got the winner there.
    Last edited by bitnine; 03-14-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Ascendant

Time to kill > hps/dmg taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Time to kill > hps/dmg taken.
    in the end, time to kill usually corresponds with dmg taken.

whats the fastes aky-kill anyways?

i think ours is 11:47
    but we always have alts in the mainraid since we dont want to waste relics
    sculzilla - cleric - 4/4 3/3 5/5 BoB: Greenscale/Akylios
    You Listening? You Hear That?
    Do Something. Do Something.

Champion

I tell people to stand in breath so my HPS is higher so I can get big numbers too.... LOL

In all honesty though I do agree that the lower the HPS required for the fight the fewer healers required. The fewer healers, the more people who can DPS. More DPS= Shorter encounter. Shorter encounter = less damage taken by raid. I personally enjoy testing my limits as a healer to see what I can do, overhealing is boring and has the side of affect of making me see shinies and zone out.
    RNG is everything

7/8 ID HK Conq- Prostatus

+ Reply to Thread