+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Snichy

Thread: Quick Expert Dungeon Strategies

Default Quick Expert Dungeon Strategies

I have recently started doing expert dungeons using Dungeon Finder (as currently guildless), to gear up and prepare for raiding on my first character (Puri healer). As a result, I have found that most players know all the encounters and are overgeared for the dungeon so blitz through it at rapid speed without explaining tactics or pausing for breath. I think this is great and really challenging but occasionally as a healer this can cause problems and I go into a fight "blind" without knowing what is coming up.

Therefore, I wrote out a draft guide for myself to keep next to me whilst playing that VERY briefly explains what happens and what I need to be aware of during a boss fight. I realise there are dozen of guides about dungeons out there but none that I can read in a matter seconds between trash pulls and boss fights. I find it has been very useful as a clueless healer is no good to his or her teammates and I thought I would share it with you just in case other peple are like me who dont know or cannot remember the encounters and want a quick recap of tactics before the tank pulls

This info has been gathered using a number of different websites and resources, so apologies if any are incorrect or not explained very well but like I said, it is designed for quick reading and a very basic overview of fight dynamics and if you want a detailed breakdown of the fight, this maybe isnt for you. I would always recommend researching a dungeon or raid in full first to ensure you are contributing to the group and not letting your party down. When I get into a guild I will probably do a similar one for raids.

So here it is, use it as you wish or ignore it if you must.

FALL OF LANTERN HOOK

Rorf
    Boss has 3 pets which he can heal. Can snare, jump back and ranged attack. Either kill boss first then pets or tank all and kill boss first then pets

Pyromaster Cortinald
    Boss summons adds whilst in air and throws aoe fire on ground so avoid. When on ground he will teleport around dealing heavy damage. Interrupt Cinder Burst ability.

Flamebringer Druhl
    Each player gets debuff which will damage other players around them – stay away from other players and spread out. When boss pulls everyone toward him, run away.

Emberlord Ereetu
    Frontal cleave (stay behind him) and avoid bosses cast crystals at random players on ground. DPS stay bunched together so fire crystals aren’t spread out while tank moves boss away from crystals.

Oludare the Firehoof
    Front and rear cleave (melee stay at side). Random charges and avoid aoe fire bombs.

KINGS BREACH

Hunter Suleng
    Summons wolf adds to be killed. Frontal cleave.

Ravalos
    Frontal and rear cleave and avoid ground damage aoe

Manticore Sentries
    Kill Mondrach (caster) then Autoch. Avoid ground aoe spell and give group lots of cures and purges. Autoch charges.

Shadehorror Phantasm
    Phase 1: boss casts large aoe attack (Venom Storm) so hide behind pillar.
    Phase 2: When ghosts appear, go to tank to ensure he picks them all up, then spread out as ghosts have aoe attack and explode when they die.

Konstantin
    Cleave ability. Avoid spikes coming out of holes in ground and move away from boss when steam comes out of pillars which signify a large aoe attack coming.

FOUL CASCADE

Krasimir Barinov
    Kill waves of adds. Remove DOTs, avoid ground aoe attack and random player direct attacks.

Countess Surin Skenobar
    Teleported around party and drops aoe ground bomb at random players which are to be avoided. Hail of Bullets is wide aoe attack.

Sparkwing
    Hide behind rock or pillar when casting Wrath spell.

Matron Verosa
    Gurze has a cleave, and stand behind Lesch to avoid charge. Avoid Matron Verosa Death Storm spell which is frontal knockback so use terrain to hide or avoid aoe.

Tephra Lord Maficros
    Clear adds then Tephra has cleave – avoid ground based aoe eruptions.

Queen Vallnara
    Avoid ground based aoe and charges random player (where she plants an egg) and if not killed quick enough will result in more adds coming.

REALM OF THE FAE

Trickster Maelow
    Kill adds first but do not attack add with the shield as it will deflect damage to rest of group. Kill only unshielded add.

Luggodhan
    Avoid ground aoe damage. Random player gets DOT poison.

Grand Apiarist Orban
    Avoid frontal cleave. 2 hives will spawn bee adds so hive and bees need to be killed immediately before killing boss. Tank needs good aoe aggro skills.

Battlemaster Atrophinius
    Random charge, stun and knockback to group members. Kill adds fast as they heal boss

Chillblains Winterfrost
    Random player gets debuff that will lead to an aoe damaging whirlwind where player is which will travel around group. If you get debuff, run away from fight so whirlwind spawns away from players.

Lord Twyl
    Phase 1: Add that randomly stuns a player
    Phase 2: Add splits in two, then splits again to make 4
    Phase 3: Add that spawns more adds to be killed quickly
    Boss: Avoid lights on ground (damage and freeze)

IRON TOMB

Broodmother Venoxa
    When boss moves away, hide to avoid aoe attack. Kill adds quickly.

Caor Ashtone
    Random debuffs and DOT.

The Three Kings
    Each king comes separately one by one and when down to the last one, adds appear from side, then all three kings appear. Kill healer King first. Warrior king has cleave.

Bonelord Fetlorn
    When boss begins aoe spell, hide behind pillar and spell will be interrupted. If caught by aoe, it will either fear or spawn an elite add.

Ragnoth
    Front and rear cleave. When boss casts aoe spell, move to Eliams circle of light to avoid damage.

Totek
    Melee range player move away from boss to avoid ground pounding and devastate phase.

ABYSSAL PRECIPICE

Kaler Andrenos
    Casts water spout on random player resulting in slow and DOT to be avoided. Location will form an Ice Pillar. Boss uses long cast aoe spell so hide behind pillar or terrain. Debuff on random player pulls others toward them so spread out.

Icetalon
    Kill mob including its adds then when nearly dead, boss will spawn. Frontal cleave and knockback so position away from ledge against log.

Majolic the Bloodwalker
    Boss transforms when at 50% health. Places DOT on random player which spreads to other players so spread out. Random player will get encased in crystal which DPS needs to break to free player.

Renthar
    Boss charges furthest away player and places ground aoe spell which needs to be avoided.

Calyx the Ancient
    Large AOE damage spell which reduces everyone to low health so avoid lasers and ground aoe effects. Do not attack boss when he has shield as it deflects back (can be purged).

RUNIC DESCENT

Rictus
    Avoid ground AOE. Boss will pull everyone toward him and slow. Can use terrain to prevent being pulled close to him.

Wormwood
    Frontal cleave. Avoid spawned mushrooms as aoe damage.

Warden Falidor
    Avoid dps when shield is up as it deflects. Large pbaoe so hide behind terrain.

Atrophinius the Fallen
    Frontal cleave and spawns adds. At 50% he will cast large pulse aoe so hide behind pillars and wait there until he starts attacking again.

Eliam the Corrupted
    Rift event, kill 2 waves of adds. Boss cleaves and casts blinding spell so turn away from boss to avoid stun. Ghosts will spawn and need to be kept apart and killed while boss throws aoe bombs at random players to avoid.

CHARMERS CALDEA

Smouldaron
    Spawns adds and drops ground aoe red bombs on floor to avoid.

Cyclorax
    PBAOE attack so run away when about to cast. Avoid lasers and dropped ground aoe pods which snare and DOT.

Ryka Dharvos
    Spawns adds and avoid lasers and casts ground aoe on random player. Kill adds when they spawn.

Gronik
    Casts debuff on random player causing damage to players around them so avoid other players if you get debuff. Boss damage increases over time so kill him asap.

DEEPSTRIKE MINES

Overseer Markus
    Frontal cleave. At 50% health will split into 3 adds then return with adds so all will need to be killed.

Gregori Krezlav
    Phase 1: Spawns add and has single high damage spell (can be interrupted).
    Phase 2: Summons 3 adds that channel a spell to make boss go immune to damage. Kill adds to make boss attackable.

Bonehew the Thunderer
    Boss has ground pound aoe damage and stun so avoid melee range. Will also move away to side of platform to cast ranged ground aoe attack – to avoid this go to side of platform. Will cast debuff on random player that DOTs and AOEs. At 50% he will split and both need to be killed.

Gatekeeper Kaleida
    Boss has elemental phases – start attack when in fire mode (buff on boss). Avoid thrown ground crystals as they will damage, stun or freeze. Earth crystals will heal boss so kill these asap.

Dichrom
    Frontal cleave. Avoid lasers.

Caretaker Arcanis
    Boss will periodically activate 4 crystals which will summon adds. Kill adds and crystals.

Plutonus
    Fight boss on centre platforms and lasers outside are deadly. He will cast large knockback ability so make sure your bank is to wall that randomly comes out from perimeter edge. Avoid electrical beams.

DARKENING DEEPS

Alchemist Braxtepel
    Kill adds first and avoid ground damage effects, purge debuffs on players

Michael Bringhurst
    Bring boss away form light (which makes him more powerful). Periodically fears all players and moves back into light.

Tegenar Deepfang
    Boss spawns lots of adds. Random player will be cocooned and will need to be damaged to break cocoon.

Glubmuk
    Frontal cleave and spawns adds. Shoots water spout which needs to avoided as ground damage occurs.

Council Geldo
    3 bosses which pass on their spells once they die. Kill shaman first.

Scarn
    Front and rear cleaves so stay at side if melee range. When boss flies into air, avoid ground fire damage effects and stay spread out as DOT can be passed to other players.
    You've got red on you.

I was going to say something like "Who need this?" Then it occurred to me that i haven't run Fall of Lantern Hook in so long i totally forgot Flamebringer Druhl even existed. Boss descriptions are succinct and easy to find, not bad.

However, if you are a healer don't use this list, there are a lot of healing mechanics missing.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

General of Telara

It will certainly be helpful to a lot. Every now and then, I see people getting 1-shotted by some mechanic (mostly the 2nd boss in CC) because it's their first time. And for those who are in this situation, please mention it, it won't kill anyone to stop chain pulling for 15-30 seconds before each boss to briefly explain what the group has to do

And there are certainly "a lot" of new players around, been running some normal dungeons on an alt recently and there is always someone needing the quests or getting the "first run" achievs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    However, if you are a healer don't use this list, there are a lot of healing mechanics missing.
    I agree, it is very much a "short and sweet" boss strategy based on other guides as opposed to what I have experienced personally and as and when I actually come across an important mechanic or event that has been omitted, i will definitely add it.
    You've got red on you.

Very handy... before the merge I'd run each T1 precisely once, so whenever one of the former-T1s comes up in rotation I usually just make it up as I go along and rely on being ridiculously overgeared

At this point it is difficult to actually learn and appreciate the boss mechanics in experts. I barely know the bosses in expert CR because it was launched when most Pugs can ignore them. Mostly, the strategy boils down to: all go max dps including the healer and kill the boss before he does anything that might kill you. I kind of miss these strange and elaborate strategies like for the last LH boss which involved standing on a ledge of which the boss would knock you off of which would then put you out of LOS so that he couldn't charge you again and kill you. Now most fights are tank and spank with a little group damage. I guess this means that almost everyone is ready for the next tier of group dungeons. I am looking forward to them.
    Last edited by Perros_The_Second; 03-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perros_The_Second View Post
    At this point it is difficult to actually learn and appreciate the boss mechanics in experts. I barely know the bosses in expert CR because it was launched when most Pugs can ignore them. Mostly, the strategy boils down to: all go max dps including the healer and kill the boss before he does anything that might kill you. I kind of miss these strange and elaborate strategies like for the last LH boss which involved standing on a ledge of which the boss would knock you off of which would then put you out of LOS so that he couldn't charge you again and kill you. Now most fights are tank and spank with a little group damage. I guess this means that almost everyone is ready for the next tier of group dungeons. I am looking forward to them.
    I didn't even know about that ledge method until my last lantern hook run, and I have to say it seems as dull as being able to avoid mechanics by having enough dps...As fresh level 50s all you needed was proper healing for that fight
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 03-15-2012 at 01:05 PM.

This is really nice.

+ Reply to Thread