+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to get started raiding?

Default How to get started raiding?

Hello, I just hit level 50 not to long ago, and I'd love to get involved with raids, expert dungeons, ect. Although I'm not sure how to start. Any help will be appreciated.

Do all Shimmersand, stillmoor, Iron Pine Peak, and Ember Isle Invasions for inscribed source tons. Use these to get you Lessers first and maybe gear.

If you have the money you can buy the sets from crafters.

Do the Daily dungeon every day for Marks/plaques.

Do the Daily Raid rift or any raid rift for lessers/inscribed/gear.

Once you are essentially all Epic lvl 50 gear, you can start looking for pug or GDKP raids of Greenscale Blight (GSB), River of Souls (RoS), Drowned Halls (DH), and Gilded Prophecy. Can Also start mmDD at this time.

Cleric Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Quietmode View Post
    Do all Shimmersand, stillmoor, Iron Pine Peak, and Ember Isle Invasions for inscribed source tons. Use these to get you Lessers first and maybe gear.

If you have the money you can buy the sets from crafters.

Do the Daily dungeon every day for Marks/plaques.

Do the Daily Raid rift or any raid rift for lessers/inscribed/gear.

Once you are essentially all Epic lvl 50 gear, you can start looking for pug or GDKP raids of Greenscale Blight (GSB), River of Souls (RoS), Drowned Halls (DH), and Gilded Prophecy. Can Also start mmDD at this time.
    Thank you very much, this was exactly what I was looking for.

get into a friendly raiding guild on your server, they will really help you out

try to avoid guilds with loot council systems, and if you can, find a guild that is still progressing through GSB and RoS (or recently cleared) that way you won't be too far behind them

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post

try to avoid guilds with loot council systems
    This advice is wrong. Loot councils are the most optimal means of gearing up your raid as long as it's done correctly...much more so than DKP or rolls.

The most important thing (least in my opinion) is to find a guild that is a good family guild. A place where they're progressing through GSB/ROS and you can learn HOW to raid, in addition to gearing up. Matter of fact, learning how to deal with mechanics on a raid scale is more important than the loot is.
    Last edited by Redius; 03-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Lemming (formerly Mrhyde@Belmont), Guild Leader of Black Company on Greybriar
    We are Black Company ~~~ See our recruitment thread!

THIS IS HOW I ROLL
    Raids Mon/Tue/Thur 5:30 server time, 9/9, 2/4, 1/3, 1/3

In regards to the above topics, i have 2 questions. 1 any specific guild suggestions? Also I'm a dps rouge and i'm looking for a set of armor to set as a goal, any suggestions there?

Also read up on bosstrats

www.riftstrats.com

Cleric Tank

What class are you? A good knowledge of what to bring to raids is helpful for your class. I ask so I can post a list of consumables. This would impress a lot of guilds who may be recruiting and ask you to try out.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    What class are you? A good knowledge of what to bring to raids is helpful for your class. I ask so I can post a list of consumables. This would impress a lot of guilds who may be recruiting and ask you to try out.
    I am a rogue dps, I do also have a rogue tank class to make dungeon que quicker. For dps in dungeon though I'm mainly in the marksmen tree, I find that the damage output is very good for single and multi targets.

Try not to pigeonhole yourself into one spec. It's good that you have a tanking spec, and should continue to use it. I would also recommend getting a Bard spec and a melee DPS spec, with the former being of more importance.

You'll have to decide what you want your primary role to be, and focus on gearing for that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    This advice is wrong. Loot councils are the most optimal means of gearing up your raid as long as it's done correctly...much more so than DKP or rolls.
    Apparently, I have never seen a Loot Council done correctly. I hate popularity contests when it comes to rewarding loot, even if I am the beneficiary.

@OP:
    You need to learn to play Bard. Its a great in route to get into a Raiding group if you are willing to do it and can do it well.

Check the boards for casual raiding guilds on your server. I do not recommend asking in 50 chat for a guild. You will have no idea what you are walking into.

Read the strategies for all boss encounters ahead of time. It really helps reduce your and the guild's frustration level if a simple reminder before the fight will clarify the mechanics for you.

Be sure you have a 51 Marksman Build and learn to interrupt and purge.

At entry level raiding you will be better off as a Nightblade or Blade Dancer for Melee DPS. Bloodstalker is too gear dependent.

Visit the Rogue Guide section and read up on these builds and the macros associated with them.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    you know, communism is also the perfect form of government... as long as it's done correctly... we see how well that worked out for Russia

any loot system that depends on others opinions of you opens up room for bias

Quote Originally Posted by Mellik View Post
    Apparently, I have never seen a Loot Council done correctly. I hate popularity contests when it comes to rewarding loot, even if I am the beneficiary.

@OP:
    You need to learn to play Bard. Its a great in route to get into a Raiding group if you are willing to do it and can do it well.

Check the boards for casual raiding guilds on your server. I do not recommend asking in 50 chat for a guild. You will have no idea what you are walking into.

Read the strategies for all boss encounters ahead of time. It really helps reduce your and the guild's frustration level if a simple reminder before the fight will clarify the mechanics for you.

Be sure you have a 51 Marksman Build and learn to interrupt and purge.

At entry level raiding you will be better off as a Nightblade or Blade Dancer for Melee DPS. Bloodstalker is too gear dependent.

Visit the Rogue Guide section and read up on these builds and the macros associated with them.

Good luck and happy hunting!
    I actually have 3 roles right now, I'll be purchasing my 4th as a bard here soon. My melee dps role is an assassin riftstalker, it works fantastic for solo play, its my main role, but how will it play out in raids? ect.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    you know, communism is also the perfect form of government... as long as it's done correctly... we see how well that worked out for Russia

any loot system that depends on others opinions of you opens up room for bias
    They're all flawed then. What when the nearby rogue's opinion is that he should bid/roll/... on that drop to get an extra 1 attack power rather than let you upgrade the one you still have from previous tier? And he gets it because he got more dkp/a better roll/...

At least flawed loot councils are easy to spot. Inspect officers & their friends and you can directly see if they got way more phatz than they should. When you see one group with 7/7 relic pieces (when some aren't even good for that calling) and the rest with 0-2, you know directly that it might already be time to look for a new guild.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast