+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Thalguur [GP]

Rift Disciple

Default Help with Thalguur [GP]

As you may have gleaned from the title, my guild has been having some severe issues with this boss. We are an extremely new raiding guild that are casual at best, however, clearing DH was no problem and neither were the first two bosses of GP; only Thalguur presents a problem.

On to the fight: Overall I'd say that our raid awareness is great (we are able to run to the pillars/away from the raid depending on the debuff), we have outstanding healers and a strong tank. Our DPS could be a little better, as with all the moving and waiting in this fight it usually drops to around 4-4.5k, which should still make it do-able. We think (could be wrong) that our problem comes with the shovelling. We've designated all kinds of roles to do the job: our lowest DPS, our bard and an archon, but all of them have complained about not knowing which pile to dig. Are there any tricks/tips that can help us with this fight seeing as after around 12 attempts the lowest we could get him to was 11%. Thanks in advance.

RAID COMPOSITION: 3 Healers - 2 Chloro, 1 Cleric. A bard/archon. MT. 5 DPS - All ranged.

Just have a bard do it and tell him not to worry about the motifs and just do the shovel job. The pile that you need to dig glows like an artifact so they should be able to pick it out easily enough.

Champion

If the ghosts are running around killing your healers then it's probably the shoveling issue. Have your tank grab the ghosts if they can (tank damage isn't considerable anyhow).
    Greybriar Guardian Bard

Rift Disciple

Thanks! Although, is there no other way of knowing which pile it is, because terribad RNG can result in 3-4 ghosts spawning before one is found and dug up in the later phases :S

Just have your bard put up runspeed (not like you need fervor if everyone's ranged dps) and keep moving so they can get to piles quickly as they spawn; they can keep up motifs while on the move, and running around makes spotting the piles a bit easier. it really shouldn't be a problem so long as they're focused on piles and not getting distracted doing other things

Also, increasing your dps would be a huge help. Encourage people to look at guides to fine-tune specs, consider making cleric go inquisicar, etc. etc. Dragging the fight on means more potential for ghosts to get out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordred View Post
    Thanks! Although, is there no other way of knowing which pile it is, because terribad RNG can result in 3-4 ghosts spawning before one is found and dug up in the later phases :S
    No this does not happen unless your dps is too high...your people are just not seeing the piles in time. Stick with one person and have them look for the sparkling pile and dig it...then the next sparkling pile...and so on and so on....only one pile will be active at a time...but as soon as you dig that pile if there is another ghost up another pile will become active to dig. They have to keep digging until the ghosts are gone. Even if he is transitioning to his next phase...they will be able to dig piles and pick up crystals.

Your diggers sole job is to dig those piles and run to a pillar if they get the beam...the tank really needs to pick up all those ghosts though.
    Last edited by Hijati; 03-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    I hold everyone back!!!
    Hijati-60 Cleric, Hijitity-60 Warrior, Britania-60 Mage, Lizvana-60 Rogue
    Grim Awakening 2/4
    Frozen Tempest- 4/4 Endless Eclipse 5/5

Plane Touched

An other thing to know is that when the ghost appears they wont immediatly attack. So if your team go away from it and the tank go on it you wont have any problem with it.

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

just have to keep running around and looking, finding the right pile can be annoying just keep running around spamming the motifs, eventually you should find the right pile.

Champion of Telara

tank needs to be picking up the ghosts. if they arent and they are running around killing people they are failing as tanks

once the tank gets them, the shoveller needs to be only focusing on the glowing piles. Ive done this as a healer and still managed to heal in between.
    Drakkles - Warrior - Jynxed
    ]

Plane Walker

Like what's been said... it's purely a tank issue.

With all the recent gear buffs and class buffs you can hold as many ghosts as you could possibly want.

Alternatively, a mage could squirrel one, tank picks up the other, Bard can mez one, bard can mass mez them, etc... have 4 mages run 0pt dominator (If you have 4 mages lol) You lose out on Searing Vitality, but you can CC 4 ghosts while the shoveler shovels....

Could squirrel one, Fear another, Bard mez one, and have your chloro squirrel one, or fear one if points in Warlock

Or just have tank pick them all up.

IIRC (and I could be wrong as I haven't been in GP in a very long time) Ghost spawn 1 after first crystal phase 2 after second crystal phase 3 after 3rd crystal phase 4 after 4th crystal phase.. is there even 4 crystal phases? I forget... Either way, the spawns aren't RNG at all, only the grave location is.
    Last edited by AWHavoc; 03-11-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Shadowlander

Default MT View

I MT this fight in about 95% of all groups I am in with. The ghosts are, as others said, purely a tank issue.

After all the changes to the raid, there are a total of five phases in the fight, resulting in five ghosts in the last phase.

1 after the first pillar is destroyed
    2 after the second pillar is destroyed
    etc all the way till 5.

I suggest you place your bard on the shovel. Make sure that NO ONE else picks up the shovel should it spawn after the fact. The shovel is considered a quest item and generally resides in your quest item bag (view it by viewing your quest log.)

When the ghosts spawn they are "asleep" for about 10 seconds. Have your tank run around and aoe or beat on them for a few seconds. (try not to have the tank turn his / her back to the boss as they lose out on mitigation and can take more damage. If healing is not an issue then don't worry about this.)

Ensure that no one is AOEing during these phases either. Its wasted dps and can cause aggro issues.

The last thing to do as a tank is to help out your shoveler, the bard. If the tank is standing on dirt piles it makes it extremely difficult to see which piles to dig up. As a tank I generally try and bring them to a clear spot or if I notice that ghosts aren't disappearing, I move to another spot just in case I am standing on a pile or two.

The only other suggestion I have is to turn up spell detail at least to a medium setting. This, believe it or not, will help ensure that the sparkles that show up on the dirt piles are actually visible. If the person that is designated as the shoveler still has trouble, find someone that has the ability to run the game at better settings and try it that way. It could make all the difference.

My last peice of advice : since your dps is not bad in relation to the raid, on the last phase with 5 ghosts up (all aggroed by the tank mind you) you could ignore the shoveling and just push through that last 10% of Thalguur's HP. This is only if your healers aren't OOM and your tank is mitigating enough of the damage. This becomes more important the slower your raid dps is.

Good luck! if you need any clarification or have any other questions let me know!

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Drathek View Post
    tank needs to be picking up the ghosts. if they arent and they are running around killing people they are failing as tanks

once the tank gets them, the shoveller needs to be only focusing on the glowing piles. Ive done this as a healer and still managed to heal in between.
    This. Only run with one tank, and have the tank pick them up. Even if your shoveling is slow, the ghosts are easily tanked through crystal phases. If you use a cleric tank, ghost pickup should be a breeze, just hit DoL. If you run a warrior, its a little trickier, but still do-able. Use your aoe abilities on the first few ghosts, then pull the rest in with taunt or discharge. Using intercept on a healer is a great way to get all the ghosts to fly for you without lifting a finger.

never done it as a rogue tank, so dunno the tricks.
    Last edited by Itseotle; 03-12-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    The Riftguard
    Deepwood :: TDQ 4/4 :: FT 2/4
    Morning Raiding Guild - Recruiting!

Atrius: "Paragon seems solid. At Level 60 I came in at the top of IA damage."

Rift Disciple

Also, try to cut down on healers/support a bit. Try 1 tank, 2 healers (1 chloro + cleric), and a bard. That leaves 6 dps for the boss. The bard should be running the shovel. Have the bard watch a few videos and understand how/when to move. The cleric can go senticar for aoe heals and 2 brez. If you still lack dps, you can have 1 chloro and 2 inqicars.

Rift Disciple

Thanks all for the advice! Yesterday we were able to down him with the same raid composition. As you advised, we kept the bard on shovel and also asked our Mages with a spare soul to switch it to Dom for Transmogrify. CCing the ghosts in the later phases was key, at least until the tank picked them up. Onto Uruluuk I guess =]

I've shoveled alot as a marksmen rogue and it's probably the best way to go since you are more mobile than others.

If you have a bard shoveling they may be too busy doing that to provide the additional heals you need to stay alive.

Also watch your stacks and make sure people are getting ~4 crystals per crystal phase and that people who have theirs stolen replenish.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

+ Reply to Thread