+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Required Water Resistance for Upper HK floor?

Default Required Water Resistance for Upper HK floor?

Our guild just needs to down Grug to make it to the upper floor and we are kind of clueless what a good amount of water resist needed? I know it probably is different depending on gear but a general idea would be amazing!

Dps? Tank? Heals?

Appreciate the response!

Speaking from a dps perspective.
    I have around 160 water resistance unbuffed.

Prophet of Telara

the two water lessers and water vial are more than enough. Your lowest HP casters might need slightly more (as in one more water lesser) unless they are still in some blues or something

For Garau/Darktide non-tanks should get 100 Water Resist minimum from gear/planar attunement alone.
    Those with low hp should aim for 150 or use a Water Resist Vial.

For Akylios all non-tanks should have the most Water Resist they can get (though don't bother with the Luminescent Conch Shell), this includes Runes, Vials and full resist cores.
    The fight is a lot easier than it used to be but staying alive is the name of the game so more is always better. You should be aiming for at least 160, preferably 180+.

For tanks Water Resist doesn't matter since they have the passive mitigation to handle it all, they should just use their best Mitigation source core.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 03-09-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Nope.

Rather than give you numbers (which, admittedly, might be more pertinent to your question), I'd like to describe a general technique towards approaching gaining an appropriate amount of water resist.

Let me start by remarking that my guild's tanks have said that they don't focus on water resist, since most of the damage they take is still physical regardless. (Disclaimer: I am not a tank, and this is just what they have said; if you have relatively under-geared tanks they might seek some water resist.)

For everyone else, I would suggest they obtain, for starters, a source machine filled with water-resist lessers. This should net you about 100 water resist, give or take ten or so depending on the exact essences; if you have the Barnacle Encrusted Source Machine -- which, since you can easily get it now during the Carnival of the Ascended, is easier to get than ever -- you'll be around 120 water resist. I think that, to be safe, this is the minimum everyone should shoot for. If you find that people die too easily to water-resist-based mechanics (e.g. Garau's Bloodtide, Darktide's Dark Tide, Akylios' almost-all-damage-your-raid-will-take), then it would be advisable to have them use water-resist flasks, water-resist runes for the shoulders and/or chest, or even both a flask and runes.

Cleric healers come to mind when thinking about classes/roles that might require additional water resist. Also, on the Akylios encounter, my guild has experienced issues with a few rogues (not sure what specs they are using; I do not play a rogue) in the melee stack who have near-died from damage from the suffocating orb and other mechanics, even though we do have a sufficient number in the stack to absorb the meteor-effect damage. So those rogues were asked to stack additional water resist, which helped our progression by keeping them from dying to said mechanics.

I would also mention that Garau and Darktide have relatively less strict water-resist requirements than Akylios, but it doesn't hurt to treat all three encounters as if they require the same amount of water resist. (Of course, if you're looking to min-max aspects of your healing or dps for Garau and Darktide you might be able to get away with less resist, but if you're just starting to attempt these encounters then that is the least of your concerns.)

TL;DR: require that everyone (except possibly tanks) obtain a full water-resist source machine, and adjust the requirements of individual members based on how often they tend to die to water-based mechanics with runes or flasks.
    Adaiii <-Vendetta->

I aim for 100 unbuffed for Inquisitor and Inwar, and 150 unbuffed for Akylios

Prophet of Telara

As a mage I don't use any.

Thank you all for your responses! This helps put things into perspective! (especially the idea of tanks not needing res as much as i thought) I will let our guild know so we can be ready when the time comes ;)

As a main tank, I DO use a water resist sigil on Garau, he hits pretty hard and it's mostly magic damage. For Darktide and Akylios about 70% of the damage is physical rather than water so I end up just using my normal mitigation sigil.
    Read my Comprehensive Warrior Raid Tanking Guide and Warrior Tank Leveling Guide!
    RIP Affinity. Beta 3 - 5/10/12.
    ID 4/8 | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    As a mage I don't use any.
    True, GoS is probably enough once your healers are used to the fights but I wouldn't recommend progressing like that, especially since the DPS checks are all very easy.
    Nope.

Champion of Telara The Real Viz Shady's Avatar

Keep in mind when you use a water resist vial you cannot also use a powersurge or brightsurge t the same time.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    True, GoS is probably enough once your healers are used to the fights but I wouldn't recommend progressing like that, especially since the DPS checks are all very easy.
    Tempted not to reply since the following seems elitist, but I don't have any 44+ pyro specs. Ranged shouldn't really need any WR once geared.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    Tempted not to reply since the following seems elitist, but I don't have any 44+ pyro specs. Ranged shouldn't really need any WR once geared.
    Well aren't you the boss :P

I can agree with Garau and Darktide not requiring any resistance once you have the gear/raid coordination.

Akylios would be doable, but I can't see why you would bother given Water Cores lose you like 20 Spellpower aside from the challenge of seeing if it's doable.

I might actually do it for the hell of it this week just to prove I can. Mass Effect 3 was a joke so I need a challenge :P
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex113 View Post
    the two water lessers and water vial are more than enough. Your lowest HP casters might need slightly more (as in one more water lesser) unless they are still in some blues or something
    I hope you're saying blues as in lesser essences...

I was using my 57 resist healing core and recieved tells from numerous people saying " is that your water core?!?! " I had to keep re iterating that I was playing on my alt and that I have 6 engines on my main lol

And then I had somebody yesterday out doing water RR's talking to me. They switched to their Rogue and granted they were reliced out, they only had 58 water resist and said they were fine on aky.

I also picked up one of the +20 resist totems from the world event vendor and it's bind on account... so I can send it back and forth between my 2 HK ready tunes as needed.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tordana View Post
    As a main tank, I DO use a water resist sigil on Garau, he hits pretty hard and it's mostly magic damage. For Darktide and Akylios about 70% of the damage is physical rather than water so I end up just using my normal mitigation sigil.
    The only physical damage Garau does is his auto-attack, which hits for about 1k unblocked every 3 sec. I'll probably try tanking him with a 2h soon, because the shield is worthless.

The main tank on Garau should run MAX water resist, sigil, enchants, trinket, and vial.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast