+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Dungeon finder

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default Dungeon finder

    I'm a new player, and I'm rather enjoying the game. However, the Dungeon Finder is kind of driving me crazy. I enjoy playing through the dungeons with people of roughly my level. in about one of every 5 dungeons I'm being matched for, I'm matched with a level 50 partner geared to the teeth there to run his friend through. And so I can either (a) leave group and wait 30 minutes or (b) spend 30 minutes being bored out of my mind following someone else through. Not fun for me.

    I realize I don't speak for the community with my preferences, or even the majority of the community, but an ability to restrict the levels you're willing to group with -- or to opt to use the levels given for a certain dungeon -- would really make this more enjoyable.

    I'm certainly not going to leave the game over it but, on the margin, if I find another game I enjoy I would be tempted to switch.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    1 out of 5 dungeons seems like pretty good odds... if you are really set on playing with people of your own level why not find some guildies or friends of your own level and do randoms with them? This is a problem you can pretty easily solve by yourself.

    Otherwise just suck it up and let a 50 carry through a dungeon, which will be over in 10 minutes anyway.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gromph1 View Post
    1 out of 5 dungeons seems like pretty good odds... if you are really set on playing with people of your own level why not find some guildies or friends of your own level and do randoms with them? This is a problem you can pretty easily solve by yourself.

    Otherwise just suck it up and let a 50 carry through a dungeon, which will be over in 10 minutes anyway.
    Well, because I just started and don't have any friends in game yet. My options are to use the dungeon finder. If I can't use it and it annoys me enough, i leave the game. Capitalism at work. Thought I'd use the board to express a sentiment I know isn't unique.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    A mentoring system is in the works at present and may very well incorporate some kind of level scaling where mentors would be scaled down to your level.

    Other than that, I would highly suggest what the previous poster said - find a group of guildies or friends and run with them.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gromph1 View Post
    1 out of 5 dungeons seems like pretty good odds... if you are really set on playing with people of your own level why not find some guildies or friends of your own level and do randoms with them? This is a problem you can pretty easily solve by yourself.

    Otherwise just suck it up and let a 50 carry through a dungeon, which will be over in 10 minutes anyway.
    "Just suck it up" is a pretty lame answer, but unfortunately it is the best way to deal with this for now. But I agree that this is actually a problem.

    Rift is focused on endgame, but one way you get prepared to play group content at endgame is by playing through group content while leveling. So getting run through dungeons doesn't help anyone get better at the game. Also, as the OP said, there's a fun factor that goes away when there's no challenge involved. Just ask anyone on the forums about the Akylios nerfs.

    The good news is, as Synovia said, there's a mentoring system in the works. It doesn't solve the issue right now, but at least they're looking at it. Otherwise, just go with what you feel at the time. I tend to just leave groups with level 50s in them while I'm leveling, as I don't find it personally fun.

  6. #6
    Plane Walker badradical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    483

    Default

    what i'd do to run dungeons with a level 50. who wants to do the same dungeons over and over at a slow pace? i love just running behind and getting a few hits in instead of taking my time. but i don't mind lower level players. what they need to do is adjust the level requirements for the dungeons so people get the most out of leveling through dungeons. it doesn't help me if the mobs are 4 or 5 levels below me when i wanna level fast.

  7. #7
    Sword of Telara meoka2368's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver B.C., Canada
    Posts
    844

    Default

    I'm one of the 50s that will randomly queue up for the low level dungeons and then just run through whatever comes up. I go with either a "fun" spec or healing, so I don't take away the joy of beating some poor little creature away from the other players.
    If anyone in the dungeon asked me to leave because of being too high of a level, I would first take a vote from the other players, and go with the majority (or leave if it was 2 to 2).
    Some people like having a 50 run with them, and others don't.

  8. #8
    RIFT Fan Site Operator DrillFoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I've went through randoms a few times and never had the level 50 problem. Its a catch all, sometimes you want to have a level 50 just run through it, and sometimes it helps to gain the experience for things later on in the game. However, I think this should be addressed, and there shouldn't be an option for a level 50 player to join a lower level group.
    The Few....The Proud... www.riftheals.com

  9. #9
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix41 View Post
    Well, because I just started and don't have any friends in game yet. My options are to use the dungeon finder. If I can't use it and it annoys me enough, i leave the game. Capitalism at work. Thought I'd use the board to express a sentiment I know isn't unique.
    It may help to find a guild to run with. There is a section of this forum that can help you with that. There is always the option to PuG through 1-29 chat as well.


    At one point there was no LFG and people only grouped through chat/guild. IMO it made the experience better and you could even make friends in game that way.
    RNG is everything

    7/8 ID HK Conq- Prostatus

  10. #10
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Speaking as a Rift newbie I don't quite get why level 50s are even allowed to queue for a lowbie dungeon (I'm sure there are reasons, just being new I don't know them). In WoW where I came from, you're barred from low level dungeons once you outlevel them and the only way to go there is to physically go the instance or be summoned in. Not entirely sure why Rift doesn't do that too; I'm a firm believer that you don't learn anything being carried through a dungeon by a high level, in fact it's more likely to teach you the wrong things (just zerg everything).

    IMO low level dungeons especially need to be a place to hone your group skills and learn how to act in a party environment in preparation for endgame raiding.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post
    Speaking as a Rift newbie I don't quite get why level 50s are even allowed to queue for a lowbie dungeon (I'm sure there are reasons, just being new I don't know them). In WoW where I came from, you're barred from low level dungeons once you outlevel them and the only way to go there is to physically go the instance or be summoned in. Not entirely sure why Rift doesn't do that too; I'm a firm believer that you don't learn anything being carried through a dungeon by a high level, in fact it's more likely to teach you the wrong things (just zerg everything).

    IMO low level dungeons especially need to be a place to hone your group skills and learn how to act in a party environment in preparation for endgame raiding.
    Actually wow changed it like two years ago so that you can queue for low level dungeons as long as someone in your party is of that level range.

  12. #12
    Plane Walker Perros_The_Second's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    450

    Default

    I hate when this happens. I usually ask the group to please kick me after 5mins which usually results in abuse because the majority of people only seem to care about loot/second and not about having a "challenging" and fun dungeon run. So I have to eat the 30min lock. Heard some great excuses like I want to practice my tanking...only thing a level 50 practices in a level 30 dungeon is his AE spam button. If someone wants to practice tanking then he should prepare spec and UI, test it a couple of times in rifts or instant adventures and then challenge himself in an expert he is very familiar with (not using random). It is not that they are that difficult today. Soloing a dungeon that is 20 levels lower really isn't practicing it just annoys the heck out of those who actually play this game for fun and not as a pure gear and level grind.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts