+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Realm of the Fae Tree Boss

Default First Realm of the Fae Tree Boss

I've been going through the expert dungeons recently, and every time we come upon this boss, things get difficult. i don't recall this boss ever being difficult in the standard version.

Based on chat conversations, people used to pull the boss out of the walled garden to isolate him. However, that does not seem to work anymore.

Usually what happens is that the hives start to spawn too many adds, and the tank can't hold them all. So, the group tries killing one of the hives first. Sometimes that works and sometimes it does not. Then again, there was one time where the group killed the boss without killing either hive. In fact, there is an achievement for that.

The group wipes a few times, then suddenly we get through it, but I don't understand what was done differently. The only thing I can think of is that the hives didn't spawn as many adds as usual.

How do you usually go about tackling this boss? How do you keep the hives from spawning so many wasps, without destroying the hives first?

Every group I've done just AEs the adds down as they come in with no problems. Experts ain't what they used to be.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I i don't recall this boss ever being difficult in the standard version.
    What do you consider "standard version"? In the original RoTF he was one of the hardest bosses in the game pre-raid for me.

last resort tactic is pull it over the wall and fight it outside
    u will need a rogue to jump up the right wall and pull then taunt threat and spank it in the corner there
    who took my names!

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

the tank takes the boss in between the 2 hives, and the dps/healer stack up right behind the boss so they don't get cleaved. when the adds come in the tank can aoe and pick them all up, and the dps can aoe them down.

should be very easy for a warrior/cleric tank to pick up the adds. haven't done it on my rogue but with their cleaves/aoes I'd think it should be pretty easy unless the adds are just out of range.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    What do you consider "standard version"? In the original RoTF he was one of the hardest bosses in the game pre-raid for me.
    I think he means normal (level 20) which is funny because that boss is only in expert.

And I don't remember it being terribly difficult, but my 5-man used 2 tanks last March for our first kill of it. Slow but worked. Scarn, on the other hand...
    Read my Comprehensive Warrior Raid Tanking Guide and Warrior Tank Leveling Guide!
    RIP Affinity. Beta 3 - 5/10/12.
    ID 4/8 | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawPlankton View Post
    the tank takes the boss in between the 2 hives, and the dps/healer stack up right behind the boss so they don't get cleaved. when the adds come in the tank can aoe and pick them all up, and the dps can aoe them down.

should be very easy for a warrior/cleric tank to pick up the adds. haven't done it on my rogue but with their cleaves/aoes I'd think it should be pretty easy unless the adds are just out of range.
    It's even easier. I just use a port and my planar vortex pulls adds for me. Same tactic though.

i hear this boss cleaves, pro tip

Quote Originally Posted by LockedOn666 View Post
    Nah it doesn't.
    Last edited by Robes; 03-04-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Just have the tank tank him in the middle.
    If the tank is having trouble getting aggro, then the tank needs more practice maintaining threat on multiple mobs.

If there are too many adds appearing, then the dps needs to learn to aoe harder.

If it is about heals, get your healer to go into something like a 32 sent/34 purifier build with shields, ancestral flames, latent blaze, healer's covenant, healer's haste/etc to keep the tank and the rest of the raid alive.

You might want to try an 'off-healer' in the form of a cabicar with righteous mandate to quickly deal with the adds and give some decent heals on everyone. Just have him/her do the usual Shadow's Touch, Bound Fate, Tyranny spells as required and save up Sign of Asias for if multiple add summons start piling up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Just have the tank tank him in the middle.
    If the tank is having trouble getting aggro, then the tank needs more practice maintaining threat on multiple mobs.

If there are too many adds appearing, then the dps needs to learn to aoe harder.

If it is about heals, get your healer to go into something like a 32 sent/34 purifier build with shields, ancestral flames, latent blaze, healer's covenant, healer's haste/etc to keep the tank and the rest of the raid alive.

You might want to try an 'off-healer' in the form of a cabicar with righteous mandate to quickly deal with the adds and give some decent heals on everyone. Just have him/her do the usual Shadow's Touch, Bound Fate, Tyranny spells as required and save up Sign of Asias for if multiple add summons start piling up.
    I was agreeing with your post up to this part:

... wut?

I find it easier to tank on top of a hive and tell everyone to get against the back wall behind it. That way all the flys have to come through me to reach anyone.

When i was undergeared back in the day, we did it with 2 tanks.
    1 tank pulls tree to 1 hive and faces boss away.
    2nd tank intercepts all bees from the other hive and slowly pulls them all to the boss.

The issue we had back then was 1 tank not able to hold aggro of all the bee's. ofc nowadays the dps is so high you can jus dps through them all. besides it has been nerfed a tad.

Since the nerf i guess it's just 1 tank and 1 healer. then 2 dps will jus go and down the hives first. Not done rotf for ages so dont count on it but hope something there helps.

Follow Me on Twitter
    Follow Nerds In Denial
    Officer of NiD | youtube Stream

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I was agreeing with your post up to this part:

... wut?
    as a puri on that fight surging flames should do all the aoe healing you need. have divine call and healing communion as well also the splash heals on healing breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebron View Post
    I find it easier to tank on top of a hive and tell everyone to get against the back wall behind it. That way all the flys have to come through me to reach anyone.
    yea that's a good way to do it, but most tanks have the aggro tools to aggro through the boss now.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedOn666 View Post
    why the tank stands on one side and the dps stacks behind him

Quote Originally Posted by Rozel View Post
    It's even easier. I just use a port and my planar vortex pulls adds for me. Same tactic though.
    ah good to know wasn't sure if it would quite have the range or not. I kinda miss tanking on my rogue.

Ascendant

Way back in March when we defeated the boss, what we ended up doing was focusing down one of the hives to reduce the number of adds to manageable levels. Before all the character buffs, tanks would have difficulties maintaining threat on all of those vespids, so they would attack me as I was healing.

I never liked tanking the boss outside the wall. Exploiting was more work than it was worth, and half the time, we'd waste more time struggling to get in place than we would have doing it normally.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast