+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Calamari, anyone?

Rift Chaser

Default Calamari, anyone?

Since 1.7 hotfix #6, there has been quite a few complaints about the overall nerf to Akylios.

First of all, I concede that a nerf like this was inevitable. With ID coming very soon, and the increased difficulty level, players will not want to continue progressing on Akylios. And I don't blame them. Additionally, I could imagine it being terribly aggravating to have gimped progression in ID because you can't kill the last boss in HK. This will eventually lead to a loss of playerbase, which of course any company tries to avoid.

However, Trion, you went too far.

Mind Decay is a great mechanic, forcing players to be aware and not get tunnel vision. Now, you can wait far too long before the damage is significant.

The on-screen warnings are okay, but did you have to telegraph when and where the breath will be? You don't have to pay attention at all, just read messages.

But by far the worst nerf (as others has mentioned) is the wave knockback in the later phases. That part is essentially the most important of the mechanics; not because of it's complexity, but of it's unforgiving nature. That is what makes Akylios the hardest boss in the game.

The current 4s stun is laughable. In fact, I don't even bother to look for waves now. This mechanic needs to be buffed, and here are a few suggestions from myself and others on the forums (ordered in my preference).

1) Make the waves a 1-shot mechanic, or 95% health, or something very severe. The effect is the same as before, in that you're dead or very close. However, without the knockback, the player is fully rezzable on the platform. This mechanic change lessens the burden guilds who are trying to kill Akylios face, but also makes dodging waves a crucial part of the fight.
    2) Put a debuff on people who are hit, reducing their outgoing damage and heals by 75% for 15s or so. By this, people who don't dodge waves will still be usable, but if a significant portion of the raid is affected then survivability becomes more perilous.
    3) Make the stun longer, as in 10-12s. This is an easy change with regards to programming, but still requires dodging of waves since the effect may prevent you from avoiding other mechanics -- Breaths, Orbs, Mind Decay, etc.
    4) Mind control the people who are hit by waves.

As previously stated, this nerf was inevitable. However, you're upsetting 11/11 (who had to master mechanics) and 10/11 (who now down Akylios without a sense of accomplishment) people alike with the overdone nature of this hotfix.

Stop 'Like'-ing me! I am not here for your approval!

Ya, i agree there should be some bigger punishment for getting hit by the wave. I like the reduced dmg/heals debuff for 5-10sec.

this huge nerf doesnt really bug me, it came 5months and 1 day after we killed it, thats a pretty long time.

Cleric Tank

Ascendant

All this change does is widen the gap between tiers of content. Players defeating Akylios after this will now begin to believe they are ready for ID, when they are absolutely not.

I thought this was going to be a post about killing Akylios without getting the Calamari achievement and how it was poorly designed since it's much easier to get the achievement than to not get it.

Agree with the OP fully though.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    Since 1.7 hotfix #6, there has been quite a few complaints about the overall nerf to Akylios.

2) Put a debuff on people who are hit, reducing their outgoing damage and heals by 75% for 15s or so. By this, people who don't dodge waves will still be usable, but if a significant portion of the raid is affected then survivability becomes more perilous.
    This.

You are hit my a wave you get a debuff called "Waterlogged".

"The waves of Akylios have left you waterlogged with madness. Your healing and damage are decreased by 75% and you take 75% more damage"

Also make the debuff portion clensable but retain the stun. This punishes all roles for mot missing the wave but it does allow for recovery if a wave is missed.

I have yet beaten Akylios. In fact I haven't even reached the last phase yet, but I do know I'm less interested now that the nerfs are in.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    The more people play Rift and subscribe, the more time and money we have to continue to evolve the game....

"Cerium, glowers at you dubiously -- looks like he would wipe the floor with you!"

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    All this change does is widen the gap between tiers of content. Players defeating Akylios after this will now begin to believe they are ready for ID, when they are absolutely not.
    Give the dance a rest.

Difficult mechanics don't make bad players good. They just show the weaknesses of seemingly good players for all to see and the truly good players become readily apparent.

Being geared in HK relics and PA will make players ready for ID. Just like any raid instance in the game, from Drowned Halls to Hammerknell, those poor at mechanics will be poor at mechanics and those exceptional at the game will carry those with less skill or time to invest.

As crushing as it may be to your ego, the capability to dodge pre-nerf tidal waves will not dictate who does well in ID. Those who would have been able to dodge pre-nerf tidal waves will excell in ID and those who would have failed will fail in ID.

Plane Touched

It obviously seems to me like they're making content easier in light of the impending ID release. Same thing that happened with GSB and RoS all those months ago.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax1114 View Post

the capability to dodge pre-nerf tidal waves will not dictate who does well in ID. Those who would have been able to dodge pre-nerf tidal waves will excell in ID and those who would have failed will fail in ID.
    You're contradicting yourself

No he is not, it makes perfect sense.

I do have to say though, our guild did our first pull of the squid the night before the nerf. Most of us would love the option to 'toggle' the nerfs on and off as this will make a little hollow our eventual defeat of HK.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddBomber83 View Post
    No he is not, it makes perfect sense.
    No it doesn't. Saying that dodging mechanics will not effect progression in ID, and then saying that people who can't do mechanics will fail and people who can will win.

If any of the statement is right i dunno.

I'm in a 10/11 a guild and while this nerf means we will have more relics for when ID comes out, i'm sure we will be in for a big surprise once (if) we get passed the first boss.
    World first Maelforge! -World First Cyril kalmar! -World Second Murdantix! - World second Laethys!

It looks that way, but no, it's a grammatical confusion. What I mean is, there are those who have successfully dodged waves to the completion of akylios. Those people will not necessarily be capable in ID in a way that other players (who never got a chance to experience waves) will not, i.e skill is not reliant on experiencing and living through the difficult mechanics of one fight in one MMO.

If skill was reliant on living through one mechanic, then I'd have to assume that most of the people in the top guilds sucked before they beat Akylios. Which is a pretty silly assumption to make and couldn't be further from the truth, considering the kind of recruiting standards that such guilds have.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddBomber83 View Post
    Most of us would love the option to 'toggle' the nerfs on and off as this will make a little hollow our eventual defeat of HK.
    My ego is in full agreement.

Rift Disciple

Default Give it a rest

Do know how many guilds tried to stack wars just to avoid the stupid waves and wasnt the waves ez mode for most class except clerics.

Atlest now wars have to pay attention to the waves.

+ they only nerfed phase 4 new guilds still have to learn phase 1,2 and 3. I think this is a step just to reduce the learning curve of the fight mainly because in phase 4 if u lose 2 or more ppl to waves all is lost.

And ID is coming out soon as well, u can go get ur fun over there. U have tested it rite ? so u do know wt ur going to get ? I bet its not as hard as aky thats why ur crying so hard. Because if a guild kills aky then will be able to progress on ID easily with out a lot problems.

have the waves instagib on contact
    that way a group with a chance will be able to win whereas a group without will run out of resses and eventually wipe

all in all im glad i got it done before this
    -100dkp to trion for nerf
    who took my names!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Salazar666 View Post
    I'm in a 10/11 a guild and while this nerf means we will have more relics for when ID comes out, i'm sure we will be in for a big surprise once (if) we get passed the first boss.
    Lol you mean to tell me you actually believe these forum guys' fervent belief that ID is going to wreck people on the transition who haven't been deemed worthy of continuing the game?

You'll be fine. Don't buy their bologne.

It may not be a smooth transition, but all indications point to a better tuned one than the early mistake HK was. These guys think HK was tuned that way on purpose just for them.

What it really was...was just a rookie error by Trion.

That may not be the answer you want to hear, since you've already chosen to believe the hardcores and what they wish ID is going to be.

It's not going to be a guildcheck. Game's too old for rough transitions. Sorry hardcores. Everyone here, gets to progress on.

It amuses me that no one considers the possibility that what happened to akylios...has already happened to ID. Before release.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast