+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Small Akylios Question

  1. #1
    Ascendant Alyvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,553

    Default Small Akylios Question

    We started akylios progress today, cleared phase 1 no problem whatsoever and made pretty decent headway into phase 2, my question, do we at any point need 3 tanks?


    http://tinyurl.com/RaremobsSL < Almost complete SL rare list.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Europe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    For a guild just starting, yeah. 2 tanks is more of something you can do when you have a higher DPS level.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyvian View Post
    We started akylios progress today, cleared phase 1 no problem whatsoever and made pretty decent headway into phase 2, my question, do we at any point need 3 tanks?

    Use a cleric as your third tanki during the first 2 phases, and then have him swap meins and focus on raid heals during the last phases. You certainly can do the fight with 2 tanks, but it requires a pretty hefty gear check in order to accomplish.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Alyvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    for which phase/adds do ya need 3 tanks? (just curious as the strat wasnt entirely clear on it)

    if it helps we clear the phase 1 adds before the cast finishes and the bit we did in phase 2 the stingers/other thingies were down quite a long time.

    edit:
    before the timer expires, we had the 50% mark reached just after the third wave hit (like 4-5 seconds after it)
    Last edited by Alyvian; 02-28-2012 at 02:30 PM.


    http://tinyurl.com/RaremobsSL < Almost complete SL rare list.

  5. #5
    Champion of Telara Quietmode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    We did Akylios last night on our alts, so our DPS was pretty abysmal.

    We utilizied 3 tanks a few times last night. Some times in p2 we had 2 Lashers up (1 tank per lasher) and last tank on adds to pickup+tank.

    Phase 1 you can also split adds up between the 2 off tanks and have 1 tank on Jornaru.

    in phase 3 you only need 1/2.

    In phase 4 if you have slow Lasher dps, you might have the 2nd lasher still up when akylios comes back. Having an undergeared tank with jornaru and a lasher could cause tank deaths.

    So its not really *needed* but it helps prevent some bad situations.
    Last edited by Quietmode; 02-28-2012 at 03:44 PM.


    Cleric Tank

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser SwiftFlame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    340

    Default

    We are 2 weeks into Akylios, learning p3 and p4, and that's the first thing we realised, there's no need for 3 tanks for us, we just had to min-max our ST and AE. We use 2 warrior tanks is all, and have 0 problems in the first 2 phases.
    SwiftFury - 4/4, 4/5 -Retired

    http://coriolisguild.enjin.com/

    Oceanic Guild is currently Recruiting.

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftFlame View Post
    We are 2 weeks into Akylios, learning p3 and p4, and that's the first thing we realised, there's no need for 3 tanks for us, we just had to min-max our ST and AE. We use 2 warrior tanks is all, and have 0 problems in the first 2 phases.
    We've always used 2 tanks, there really is no need for a 3rd unless your DPS is pretty low. Then again most of us were 4 piece when we were working on him so that always helps versus guilds that got there before 4 pieces were gained.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple ulTimaS89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    We've always used 2 tanks, there really is no need for a 3rd unless your DPS is pretty low. Then again most of us were 4 piece when we were working on him so that always helps versus guilds that got there before 4 pieces were gained.
    I think the majority of us have at least 4 pieces now.


    R60 Rogue | Icewatch EU | FT 4/4 | EE 5/5 | HM 4/4 | GA 3/4 |YouTube | Twitch.tv

  9. #9
    Champion Lonyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quietmode View Post
    We did Akylios last night on our alts, so our DPS was pretty abysmal.

    We utilizied 3 tanks a few times last night. Some times in p2 we had 2 Lashers up (1 tank per lasher) and last tank on adds to pickup+tank.

    Phase 1 you can also split adds up between the 2 off tanks and have 1 tank on Jornaru.

    in phase 3 you only need 1/2.

    In phase 4 if you have slow Lasher dps, you might have the 2nd lasher still up when akylios comes back. Having an undergeared tank with jornaru and a lasher could cause tank deaths.

    So its not really *needed* but it helps prevent some bad situations.
    What is your range dps doing stingers go down quick and then range should be helping out with lashers.

  10. #10
    Ascendant JimboTCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    If you can get Jornaru down in phase 1 before the second set of adds spawn, and can easily get each lasher down before the next appears, you should be OK to do it with just two tanks. Just make sure you burn the adds down at the end of phase 1, and everyone who's not on stingers in phase 2 concentrates on getting any remaining adds down between lashers, as you really don't want to be stuck with a second load of adds with the first still hanging around.

    With enough DPS on Jornarua and the lashers you should be able to get through with just one add spawn in each phase. The key is to focus on single target DPS and not have everyone trying to AOE everything all the time.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Alyvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quietmode View Post
    We did Akylios last night on our alts, so our DPS was pretty abysmal.

    We utilizied 3 tanks a few times last night. Some times in p2 we had 2 Lashers up (1 tank per lasher) and last tank on adds to pickup+tank.

    Phase 1 you can also split adds up between the 2 off tanks and have 1 tank on Jornaru.

    in phase 3 you only need 1/2.

    In phase 4 if you have slow Lasher dps, you might have the 2nd lasher still up when akylios comes back. Having an undergeared tank with jornaru and a lasher could cause tank deaths.

    So its not really *needed* but it helps prevent some bad situations.
    both me and our second tank got full hammerknel level gear and some relics + high mitigation cores. (and both warriors) but even with all adds on me during the first phase we didnt seem tos truggle to much (if thats any indication)

    and ty all for the advice

    will stick with 2 tanks for the time being unless we run into some severe issues with the 4th phase then


    http://tinyurl.com/RaremobsSL < Almost complete SL rare list.

  12. #12
    RIFT Guide Writer tordana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    996

    Default

    My guild has been using three tanks with one of them being a cleric. It works out quite well because you have that third tank for times when it's useful (adds in p2, second lashers in p4 and onwards) and have an extra healer when you don't need the tank.
    Read my Comprehensive Warrior Raid Tanking Guide and Warrior Tank Leveling Guide!
    RIP Affinity. Beta 3 - 5/10/12.
    ID 4/8 | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts