+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Instant Trashfarming Adventures

Rift Disciple

Default Instant Trashfarming Adventures

I've just this weekend reached level 50 in Rift, but I have some concerns about Instant Adventures and balance I want to feed back. I'm also interested in the opinions of others.

First, Instant Adventures claim to be scaled to group size. But every time I've been they completely and utterly steamroller the content. When I had a go as Marksman my rotation was:

Fan Out, Tab (retarget), Fan Out, retarget, ...

and even then mobs were dying faster than I could hit them. The main challenge as melee is reaching your target before it dies. You can get good at that, I'm sure (Riftstalker helps) but really, where's the gameplay? Is this really what Rift is about? Is it really "scaled"? Is it working as intended? It doesn't seem right.

Second, I scrimped and saved planarite while levelling. I even played the iPhone game every so often for the odd hundred planarite. But as soon as I hit level 45 and went on an Instant Adventure I had five stacks of 999 planarite in the rift loot bag within half an hour.

You might think I should be pleased, but I'm concerned about planarite inflation and general game balance. What's the point of dishing out planarite in small stacks before level 45 if it's all earned at 100 times the rate later? You may as well delete the earlier rewards, they're so insignificant.

Now these two things together. Trash farming isn't much fun. You might say I don't have to do it. But if there's planarite (and sourcestone) inflation caused by the massive output of Instant Adventures, then there may be no other comparable method to obtain goods.

I just get the impression this wasn't the adventure that Trion was imagining.

Opinions?
    Last edited by rptb1; 02-27-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Banned

Planarite caps at 60k, it can't inflate. You can't buy any non-soubound items other than the trashy essences from fortune shore that you break down to eternals, which helps keep them reasonably priced.

Once you have a couple of sigils you essentially just stop farming it because it doesn't have a point and you get more than enough from just doing invasions, onslaughts, or randoms rifts now and again.

IAs can't be to hard because it's a random raid. It can be full of people doing nothing, level 46s, and the wrong classes.

Rift Disciple

On the flip side, it's tons of fun trying to solo a 1 million hit point mob because you acquired 19 other people while moving around during a zone event. Can't kick anyone, and leaving the adventure can end up backfiring when it throws you into the other zone.

IAs take place in the normal game world. The hps/difficulty of non-specially spawned mobs cannot be adjusted without negatively impacting people not participating in the IA. Therefore, the scaling is done by volume. The more players in the raid, the more objectives you have to complete.

The ease of kills is more a symptom of mudflation than anything else. Players have gotten so powerful that the difficulty of all the non-Ember Isle (and for some players, Ember Isle as well) content is a complete joke.

Planarite, while perhaps too rare pre-50, is meant to be a common currency. It accumulates quickly and there's not much to do with it after picking up a few items/abilities. For most level 50's, it functions as either bonus PAXP or bonus ISS.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    The ease of kills is more a symptom of mudflation than anything else. Players have gotten so powerful that the difficulty of all the non-Ember Isle (and for some players, Ember Isle as well) content is a complete joke.
    Yet another argument to forcibly sidekick/mentor characters down to a reasonable power for the zone (or other content) that they're in.

I do think, if players increase their stats to the point that content is a joke, then the joke's on them, since they could take off their gear and enjoy the same challenges they had previously. The content doesn't really vary that much -- the numbers just get bigger.

About planarite, I can see it's of limited use at 50, but the sudden change in the rate at which you can get it still seems quite wrong. There's still the "why did I bother before" effect.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rptb1 View Post
    Yet another argument to forcibly sidekick/mentor characters down to a reasonable power for the zone (or other content) that they're in.

I do think, if players increase their stats to the point that content is a joke, then the joke's on them, since they could take off their gear and enjoy the same challenges they had previously. The content doesn't really vary that much -- the numbers just get bigger.

About planarite, I can see it's of limited use at 50, but the sudden change in the rate at which you can get it still seems quite wrong. There's still the "why did I bother before" effect.
    But did you have a reason to farm it before? I mean, other than a few essences or possibly the transplanar armour there really isn't anything to spend it on, and certainly not the 40K you need to pick up omen sight and a rescue medic.

The IA where you fight Shimmersand elites is pretty fun. We even had a full raid wipe to the boss that spawned in that area.

Planarite does have a purpose, you can exchange it for xp or ISS.
    "All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ"

Sword of Telara

The bosses in IA actually hit quite hard. Sure, "general population" might melt like a witch hit with water, but those bosses can kill a few people if they are ignoring mechanics.

Champion

The only problem with Instant Adventures is that it takes six before something interesting happens (defend wardstone or boss fight) and when that does happen it's a lot of fun. Wardstone defense in particular with a raid of 20 is great entertainment. There was one quest in Shimmersand that was kinda fun where you had to break a box and a ton of snakes pop out. Experience numbers just scroll down the screen with one AoE.
    Greybriar Guardian Bard

Rift Disciple

Thank you all for your comments. These are very interesting to a Rift newbie like me. However, it seems like some of you are missing my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    But did you have a reason to farm it before? I mean, other than a few essences or possibly the transplanar armour there really isn't anything to spend it on, and certainly not the 40K you need to pick up omen sight and a rescue medic.
    That's my point! It's given out in piles of about 50 all the way through the game (including by the iPhone game), then suddenly you need 40K. So it's a meaningless currency until level 50. What's the point of that? That's exactly what I'm saying. There's a disconnect there in the game design.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    The only problem with Instant Adventures is that it takes six before something interesting happens (defend wardstone or boss fight) and when that does happen it's a lot of fun. Wardstone defense in particular with a raid of 20 is great entertainment. There was one quest in Shimmersand that was kinda fun where you had to break a box and a ton of snakes pop out. Experience numbers just scroll down the screen with one AoE.
    That's my point too! While I'll admit there's a certain, er, ******ic pleasure in seeing these numbers suddenly scroll by so much faster, it does feel that you didn't do much to earn them. Where's the gameplay? It's like being given the "I win" button. It's fun to press it a few times, then you do something else.

My summary: Pretty instant. Not an adventure.

Thanks all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rptb1 View Post
    That's my point! It's given out in piles of about 50 all the way through the game (including by the iPhone game), then suddenly you need 40K. So it's a meaningless currency until level 50. What's the point of that? That's exactly what I'm saying. There's a disconnect there in the game design.
    Level 10:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/npc/31567259/...Brandeon#Sells
    http://rift.zam.com/en/npc/798782865/Rorth-Devalm#Sells

Level 20:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/npc/133227157...-Lithiel#Sells
    http://rift.zam.com/en/npc/2045753164/Lorem-Ornae#Sells

Level 25:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/npc/835804165...k-Alekin#Sells
    http://rift.zam.com/en/npc/205390963...-Tanagra#Sells

I'm sure you get the point by now, you can use it to replace a few of the pieces of gear, or grab a few planar essences as you level. Once you have 50 you will want (none of it is a need) piles of it, so piles are available.

+ Reply to Thread