+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So, what's raiding like?

Plane Walker

Default So, what's raiding like?

I've never raided at all, just been in pvp and warfronts. I've done my expert dungeons on a good basis, but as I don't raid it means little to me. I haven't raided. I've never been in one. In any other game as well. What's it like and is it entirely different to the usual things that I do? (experts, pvp, and world events)

Asking as I've just reached p40 and now only have to get the last pieces of pvp gear, so I decided next step would be raiding. Any tips/advice when I start? I'm a rogue that pretty much only uses the amount of hit necessary then stack up on my attack if that helps on any insight.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Well, first thing: Do dungeons first, if you haven't already. Raiding and PvP are completely different skillsets, and practice with PvE mechanics and content will help a lot. Also find friends to run with.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Shield of Telara

In general, sense of achievement is greater in raids than in dungeons, due to greater level of cooperation by players being needed.

Raids come with better loots than dungeons, being the very incentive for many players. But it can cause loot drama; it is recommended to raid with friends or people you know who are strict on the sense of fairness.
    Some people do raids where loots can be "bought" by bidding, and the earnings are shared by all the raid members at the end. If this style suits you, you can use it. But the sense of achievement can be less.

I would recommend you to join a relatively small guild currently working on experts and aiming at raiding shortly.

Plane Walker

To be honest I've blown through experts so now they're just a way to get my daily expert finished. All drops from experts fall short of the mid ranked pvp gear

You need to join a guild that raids. You will be able to join pick-up raids but you won't get the same experience of accomplishment that you will from taking down mobs with guildmates.

Join a guild that is just starting to raid or is relatively casual.
    Anduri - Gelidra
    United Kingdoms

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rozel View Post
    To be honest I've blown through experts so now they're just a way to get my daily expert finished. All drops from experts fall short of the mid ranked pvp gear
    It's not just about the gear. It's to meet people you can happily team with. This is the most important part in my opinion.

When it comes to gear, crafted gear and items you can buy through ISS will push you to raiding easily. But doing that can't gain any experience as in "to have fun with friends".

Teaming with people you know can give you more time to deal with gear level and specs, and most likely they will respect your preferences (e.g. you may just want to bard out while in a pug group you will be forced to do other things or you will be kicked out).

Plane Walker

Join a guild that will not carry you under any circumstances, a guild that cannot afford to carry.
    That is still progressing in T1 raids for whatever reason.

That way when you kill a boss together, and everyone did as well as they could, and "OMG There was 13s to the enrage and the tank died and the boss was walking around eating people and we blew him up and omg" it will feel amazing. (Unless you're the tank that died lol)

Nothing is more satisfying than being stuck on a boss for awhile, then finally beating it. Experiencing how difficult it is first hand, and then overcoming that wall, as a team. It's great.

Then, there's the get carried, or jump in a pug route.
    Doesn't matter what is put here, someone is going to @#%^& about it, regardless of what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by AWHavoc View Post
    Join a guild that will not carry you under any circumstances, a guild that cannot afford to carry.
    That is still progressing in T1 raids for whatever reason.

That way when you kill a boss together, and everyone did as well as they could, and "OMG There was 13s to the enrage and the tank died and the boss was walking around eating people and we blew him up and omg" it will feel amazing. (Unless you're the tank that died lol)

Nothing is more satisfying than being stuck on a boss for awhile, then finally beating it. Experiencing how difficult it is first hand, and then overcoming that wall, as a team. It's great.

Then, there's the get carried, or jump in a pug route.
    Exactly what this guy says - you'll never experience real raiding, until you've been knocking your head against the wall on X encounter, and then finally after 20+ hours of progression/wiping, you finally kill it. If you just get carried to 11/11 Hammerknell (currently the hardest raid in Rift), you'll probably wind up getting tired of the game by the time you've done it twice (since you've not been part of killing anything in there, and you're just collecting loot that other people deserve).

So bottom line - join a guild which is doing tier 1 20 man raids (Greenscale's Blight or River of Souls), or the tier 1 10 mans (Gilded Prophecy and Drowned Halls).

Good luck! .
    Last edited by Orakk; 02-27-2012 at 05:49 AM.
    Currently not raiding.
    5/5 FT, 5/5 EE.

If you're on a server that has the capability to pug raids, tag along on a Drowned Halls raid and see if you like it.

If you enjoy it, see above. Find a fresh raiding guild, the experience is so much better than compared to joining a farm guild and derping your way to ill-earned victory. A guild that's just starting out like this will likely also be running a lot of Tier Dungeons, so that's a bonus.
    Akhet <Tabula Rasa> - Rogue
    World First Green Swirly Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Orakk View Post
    Exactly what this guy says - you'll never experience real raiding, until you've been knocking your head against the wall on X encounter, and then finally after 20+ hours of progression/wiping, you finally kill it. If you just get carried to 11/11 Hammerknell (currently the hardest raid in Rift), you'll probably wind up getting tired of the game by the time you've done it twice (since you've not been part of killing anything in there, and you're just collecting loot that other people deserve).

So bottom line - join a guild which is doing tier 1 20 man raids (Greenscale's Blight or River of Souls), or the tier 1 10 mans (Gilded Prophecy and Drowned Halls).

Good luck! .
    Yes, and NO!
    guilds that cannot progress through T1 content are generally so bad at movement, tactics etc etc that you prolly get the worst experience possible.

What you might want is highend raiding for the best experience, but to do that you either need to get in a casual guild to get geared and then go into a more raiding-devoted guild.

And yes, you want a team that is on par with your gaming style, if you're a hardcore player, you do not want to compensate for other people. If you are casual you want to have fun with players, not content or achievement wise.

Generally higher end raiding guilds want 2 things of you:
    -Pushing the utmost out of your character, skillwise, if you haven't got the best gear, you will get it eventually.
    -Serious raiding: Your positioning, your teamplay, your movement, your interrupt skills as rogue.

Topguilds want this:
    -Highest dps possible, compete with world top 50 of your class, so yep, BiS gear is a minimum.
    -Rarely die, or make mistakes that cost the raid people or add new mobs to the equation.

As a rogue you might want to check the flavours of the month for bosses, the most efficient builds.
    You want to choose 1 out of 3 skills: Tank, Dps or Bard. Focus on 1 first, others might come later but you want to try to excel.

If you mess up in warfronts, you respawn and your team might be still fighting, if you die in raids, everyone suffers.

Your training could be:
    - Dungeons, evade as much damage taken while still being able to do your role.
    - Dummy practise, increase your rotation for maximum dps
    - Sigil improvement, try getting the most essences that are considered to be BiS or good for 1 thing (water sigil e.g.)
    - Reputation with factions, they give runes, consumables, its an increase!

And ofcourse, get PA to match with your weapons and style (highend guilds want lvl 200+, topguilds 600+)
    Last edited by Highland; 02-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Blightweald - DPS Rogue and apparently best bard EU - 14k Achievs

Plane Walker

Haha I remember my guild's first Grugonim kill. We ended up hitting the enrage timer, tank got wrecked so every one just scattered so we could kite him around. So much fun when everyone is dead except for 7 people and killing the boss.

Also ignoring the Magus that made it to the platform with Zilas when he's at 1%. So we burned the boss to kill him and 1 second after that the Magus wipes the raid.

Yes progression is so much more fun than farming.

+ Reply to Thread