+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How Does Akylios Stack Up?

Default How Does Akylios Stack Up?

Lots of you have been around MMOs for a very long time, so let me ask you:

Have you ever encountered a more complex boss than Jornaru / Akylios in another game?

My guildies and I were discussing this as we took him down last night, and none of us could think of another boss (or boss pair) fight that was longer in duration, with the same number of mechanics, in any previous game.

Can any of you think of any?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zoam View Post
    So, you would suggest that Kerafyrm the Sleeper... a Prismatic Dragon from Everquest, might fit the bill?

It does appear that some raid groups were able to kill it.

Do you know what made that fight tougher?
    Was it simply a matter of sheer damage output?
    ...or were there difficult and complex mechanics to contend with?

Do you know how long a successful kill encounter took?
    Last edited by Kaelani; 02-24-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Sword of Telara

Yogg-saron, with no assistance from the Keepers.

That fight was, literally, insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelani View Post
    Lots of you have been around MMOs for a very long time, so let me ask you:

Have you ever encountered a more complex boss than Jornaru / Akylios in another game?

My guildies and I were discussing this as we took him down last night, and none of us could think of another boss (or boss pair) fight that was longer in duration, with the same number of mechanics, in any previous game.

Can any of you think of any?
    Mechanics wise, personally I'm not sure. I've heard quite a few people compare him to C'thun from WoW, which was a pretty rough fight from what I've heard.

From a gear check point of view I would compare this fight to M'uru (pre-nerf) from WoW: Burning Crusade. If you didn't have enough gear for M'uru you were simply not going to beat the boss before he nuked the raid. The fights were very different, Akylios is a long fight with a lot of mechanics, whereas M'uru was slow in phase one, but once phase 2 hit, it was an all out balls to the wall dps race.

Both were awesome fights.

<Addiction> Retired from Rift - Off to Diablo 3 and GW2 or possibly Tera

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelani View Post
    So, you would suggest that Kerafyrm the Sleeper... a Prismatic Dragon from Everquest, might fit the bill?

It does appear that some raid groups were able to kill it.

Do you know what made that fight tougher?
    Was it simply a matter of sheer damage output?
    ...or were there difficult and complex mechanics to contend with?

Do you know how long a successful kill encounter took?
    He was designed to be unkillable which is why I dont think it was fair.

He later came back to have a killable version

Champion of Telara

Rathe Council.

And do it during the era it was released. Pre-voice/vent. Before the AAs, levels and gear bumps.

Rift Chaser

The sleeper was not more complex equal had little real raid mechanics most bosses were 1 mechanic coupled by different amounts of HP and life regen

Wife

The only way to beat it was to risk divorce or sleeping on couch for a week.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

I had a struggle against my shirt today. I started wearing it as I normally would, but then somewhere along the lines it started resisting me. For hours I tried to get my hands into the sleeves and my head through the top but it would just not let me. That shirt was nearly untameable! But I am glad to say that after many hours of relentless struggle, the shirt finally gave in and I managed to wear it.

I haven't had a chance to experience Akylios yet, but I find it hard to believe he is more difficult than The Djinn Master from EQ2, in the state he was initially killed in. I remember the entire community complaining to the devs for weeks that he was unkillable, and then BOOM a guild kills him. It was so awesome!

Some of his mechanics: http://eq2.zam.com/db/zone.html?eq2z...ba692d0fc48c3a

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Yezze View Post
    I haven't had a chance to experience Akylios yet, but I find it hard to believe he is more difficult than The Djinn Master from EQ2, in the state he was initially killed in. I remember the entire community complaining to the devs for weeks that he was unkillable, and then BOOM a guild kills him. It was so awesome!

Some of his mechanics: http://eq2.zam.com/db/zone.html?eq2z...ba692d0fc48c3a
    Same thing happened with Yogg-saron with zero keepers.

Top guild at the time, Ensidia, was like "there is no ******* way this is killable" and then 2 guilds kill it.

One of them exploited the AI to cause the Immortal Guardians (which WERE immortal) to evade bug by utilizing healer aggro while the healer went into Yogg's dream to kill the brain.

Rift Chaser

Rathe Council is the obvious one. 12 mobs. 6 mezzable, 6 not. All have to die at the same time. Fight could take hours.

CThun, Yogg 0 keepers and Firefighter were all pretty bat**** insane

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zerosum View Post
    Rathe Council.

And do it during the era it was released. Pre-voice/vent. Before the AAs, levels and gear bumps.
    Was thinking exactly this when i read this thread lol. This raid was actually alot of fun and very time consuming getting all the **** together.

Rift Chaser

Xegony was another long encounter but the fight wasnt overly complex. However this is one of the funnier GM exchanges in MMO history:

How to make Xegony more bearable
    In light of the 40 minute CH rotation involved here, I took it upon myself to take drastic measures to avoid insanity. Enjoy.

*edit* the petition was first sent right after Xegony was pulled, just for reference. When I got my response she was slightly above half health.

[Sat Jan 24 00:54:55 2004] You petition, 'Xegony is attempting to take advantage of Hackhuis's intoxication by jiggling her ample bosom in an overly suggestive manner. This "Boobie Taunt" frequently causes Hackhuis to forget his duties e.g. hitting attack and standing still for 40 minutes. We feel this is unbalancing to game mechanics and should be remedied posthaste.'

[Sat Jan 24 01:19:45 2004] You say to your guild, 'I'm still waiting for a reply to my Boobie Taunt petition.'

[Sat Jan 24 01:19:54 2004] Feness tells you, 'Greetings! Guide Feness at your service. How can I help you tonight'

Players in EverQuest:
    ---------------------------

* Guide *[50 Ranger] Feness (Wood Elf) ZONE: cshome

You say to your guild, 'HAHAHA they answered!!!!

Styxus tells the guild, 'lol no way'

[Sat Jan 24 01:21:25 2004] You told Feness, 'Well, my petition was concerning Xegony's propensity for wiggling her ample bosom in a suggestive manner, it's causing our tank to forget his duties, e.g. standing still with attack on and pressing taunt'

Feness tells you, 'May I just say.. HAHAHA HA

You told Feness, 'We have dubbed this the "Boobie Taunt" and we feel it is unbalancing.

Feness tells you, 'I am sorry i dont mean to laugh but that was the best thing I have heard all night long'

Feness tells you, 'what do you suggest I do about this?

Feness tells you, 'should I tell Hackhuis to please ignore the boobie taunt and remember he is a warrior and should be above temptations of the flesh especially from a hussy such as xegony? '

You told Feness, 'Well, I've heard of certain powerful magic users discovering a mystical "Diminuitive Mammary" enchantment that may reduce the Queen of Air's formidable assets to a more workable level'

You told Feness, 'I suggest implementing said enchantment

Feness tells you, 'for that you would have to talk to the developers via /feedback and let them know that they need to give Xegnoy a breast reduction so the tanks will not be so mezmerzied by her "boobie taunt". '

Feness tells you, 'in the meantime I suggest using a female warrior that might not be so easily charmed by her "assets" so to speak.

You told Feness, 'Strategic measures we did not take into consideration. Thank you for your assistance.'

Feness tells you, 'i have sent Hackhuis a tell instructing him to perhaps ignore the boobie taunt and try to kill her instead of drooling all over her. '

Hackhuis tells the guild, 'lol guide harrassing me about boobies now'

You told Feness, 'Thanks for answering by the way =P'

Feness tells you, 'no problem.. thank you for the laugh. what a good way to end my shift tonight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast