+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Random Queueing and You! (please don't run away)

Default Random Queueing and You! (please don't run away)

The random queue is an interesting thing. On one hand, it allows you to meet new people, cross-shard, and experience content on a whim. On another, it allows horrible players to avoid responsibility and get groups when their own servers have abandoned them. It allows for trolling and wrecking of anonymous "others'" gameplay.

When you sign up for a random queue, you are giving tacit agreement to the statement "I agree to perform the queued-for role for any of the instances available to me to the best of my ability."

If a genuine emergency comes up, or RL needs you, other players will likely forgive you, IF YOU TELL THEM. "My cat got run over by a truck, sorry, gotta go" is a genuine emergency. "Sorry, throwing up, can't continue" is RL. "I have no idea how to handle this fight, we've wiped six times, and I don't think we'll get it" is an acceptable reason to suggest a reorganization or abandonment.

"This instance doesn't have anything I want" or "I can't get XP here" are not valid reasons. They are not acceptable. Others will not forgive you for this. Those are statements that fly in opposition to the agreement you made when you clicked "Join" on the random queue tab. If you didn't want this instance, there is a way to selectively pick what you want to queue for. Do not abandon four other people to a 10-minute queue plus whatever length the queue is because you want a random reward and don't agree to the purpose of a random selection.

Thank you.

Plane Touched

I feel your pain, though to be honest I don't think the cross-server thing makes a difference.

The only thing I will add there is that sometimes the wipes IS an excuse. I often join a dungeon with 'X time before I have to go and do Y'. I usually allow at least double what the dungeon should take - my way of trying to be responsible. But eventually with (as you mention) 5-6 wipes, that time is going to be gone and I'll need to go to work or bed or raid or whatever.

Totally with you on the random dungeon choice etc though!

You know my pet hate since we're on the topic? Totally under-geared people wanting to be carried. Don't know how much it's changed now but back before 1.7 you'd often get people showing up in T2's with all of 1 T1 item, a few greens and even no source machine! As a tank I had to complete the previous Tier at each stage.

After too many bad experiences I don't tolerate it anymore... a quick /inspect on entry and a votekick for anyone that's taking the %&$.
    LEVEL 50 ETH WARRIOR TANK - BLOODIRON
    DH 4/4 | GP 4/4 | GSB 5/5 (Conq) | RoS 5/5 (Conq) | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

I tank all T1 raids in Dungeon gear with no Source Core, they're a crutch.

I would like to add that being in a group with obviously mentally deficient people is also a good excuse for leaving. I'm not talking about lack of knowledge of a specific boss fight, I'm referring to inability to hold aggro on basic trash pulls, not being able to dps out of a wet paper bag or being unable to keep a well geared tank up.

For the most part I won't leave a bad group, usually I can heal myself well enough to tank a few mobs in my cloth for a bad tank or carry the dps but sometimes you just get such an abysmal group that you need to leave before your face gets a permanent palm indentation.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I tank all T1 raids in Dungeon gear with no Source Core, they're a crutch.

I would like to add that being in a group with obviously mentally deficient people is also a good excuse for leaving. I'm not talking about lack of knowledge of a specific boss fight, I'm referring to inability to hold aggro on basic trash pulls, not being able to dps out of a wet paper bag or being unable to keep a well geared tank up.

For the most part I won't leave a bad group, usually I can heal myself well enough to tank a few mobs in my cloth for a bad tank or carry the dps but sometimes you just get such an abysmal group that you need to leave before your face gets a permanent palm indentation.
    I almost never leave a group. I've been in some painfully long dungeons where someone was learning or what-have-you, but people were patient with me when I was new so I try to do the same. More than a few times I've been the fill-up slot for a group of 4 from the same guild that's teaching/gearing up a newer member and they've told me that at the start. I'm almost always okay with that, even if it takes a long time. Other than (maybe) a few rare drop recipes, there's nothing in Experts my main needs; I run them for Marks. So I'm happy to help a newer player learn.

It's best to tell the rest of the group what's up in those cases, though, so there's no misunderstanding. If a key member (tank or healer) is doing a run for the first time, it's a whole lot better that we all know and can help him through it than to say nothing and have the group disintegrate when problems come up. DPS and Support should also say if they're new to an instance so those who know the fights can tell them what to do.

I've run hundreds of randoms and can count the number of times I've dropped b/c I just couldn't take it any more without using all the fingers on one hand. But I have done it. I'll always give a group a chance but there comes a point where it just isn't worth it to stay. Every one of the few times I have just said 'screw it' and left it was mostly because someone was being a jerk than that the group was having trouble. I'll help a newer player learn but I don't find it fun watching people slag each other.

I've had people drop at the start a handful of times because the instance didn't give them enough xp. Going back to waiting in the queue (which might randomly send you back to the same dungeon) rather than just doing the run doesn't really make a lot of sense to me but it didn't make me mad. What does is when we take down the first boss and someone just disappears. That hasn't happened lately, but for a while it seemed like the tank dropped about half the time immediately after Hunter Sueling when I was leveling my main through T1 King's Breach. If you're just looking for one piece of gear and don't want to stick for the whole thing, get your guildies to help you rather than screw over four strangers.

All in all, the overwhelming majority of my many, many PUG experiences have been positive. Even leveling my alt through Normals, which so frequently seemed so hard the first time, has been pretty painless. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Qseyu: Rogue Rank 8--er--40 ... Jhiqi: Mage Level 50
    [4/4 GP 4/4 DH 5/5 GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 ROTP 3/11 HK]
    Firebrand <High On Fire>

<High On Fire> is recruiting for our raid team. Visit us to apply.

+ Reply to Thread