Closed Thread

Thread: A Constructive Petition to Trion regarding Difficulty

Default A Constructive Petition to Trion regarding Difficulty

Rift is a game that I love. I find it fun and addictive but something is sapping my will to play.

Difficulty. Now, Rift has some levelling instances where you actually have to be awake (a good thing) and I hear good things about its endgame encounters.

However, I also hear tell on the forums (from browsing them) about nerfs. From what I can gather Trion nerf their raids to make them a lot easier after they are released. This is a game-breaker to me.

The primary reason I quit World of Warcraft is because of their carebear attitude to instance difficulty since the tail-end of TBC. They nerf instances into the ground after they are released so people can faceroll through it and get free loot. Trion, this is not what you should do.

World of Warcraft is bleeding subscribers and, I'll be blunt, Rift is perfectly poised to reel them in. However, a lot of the subscribers it is bleeding are the players who grow tired of incessant nerfing of content. Nerfing Rift's content will NOT attract them in.

So, I am giving Trion my attempt to constructively suggest an alternative to nerfing that would please those who just want to see the content and also please those that want a challenge that is not transient - that does not disappear weeks after the dungeons launch.

First, implement a new difficulty mode. Call it whatever you want; 'Story' or 'Easy' come to mind. This mode should not be challenging, and also not reward loot. Its purpose is for those who just want to 'see the content' and move on. This caters to them perfectly.

However, then you should not nerf the non-story difficulty. At all. Ever. Leave it be. Balance changes and bug-fixes are fine, but nerfing content for the sake of making it easier is a no-no.

Now, let me go into my rationale for this philosophy. First, to debunk a myth: No, the 'nerf cycle' is not something that is a 'part' of MMOs, it is just a hole that World of Warcraft managed to accidentally dig itself in and then, after two expansions (Wrath of the Lich King and Catacylsm), it is suffocating inside that hole. I assume this is not what Trion want to happen to Rift.

Second, instance nerfing has its own issues that many overlook. What about someone who joins the game after Greenscale's Blight or Hammerknell has been nerfed? They then have no way of experiencing it as it was meant to be. Also, instance nerfing adds a looming shadow over players. This is the shadow of diminishing returns. It means that your accomplishments become meaningless. It means that they are devalued. This is not what raiding should be.

So, in summary, the solution I propose to please both the challenge-seekers and those who simply want to see the content is thus:

Add a new 'story' difficulty mode that allows players to play the content with no challenge. This satisfies those who just want to 'see the content'. However, do not have this mode drop loot.
    And, to satisfy those who want a challenge, stop nerfing content. There is no need for it once the 'story' difficulty is implemented.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on this concept. Constructive criticism is appreciated, and I would certainly love to see this model to endgame PvE implemented as it will be the thing most likely to secure my subscription long-term.

Sadly as much as i agree with you on most of your post, the reality is there are more "carebear facerolling" entitlement babies out there looking for a game then there are people who actually enjoy a challenge in their games. From a business standpoint trion is actually better trying to cap those people.

The real problem is those people are going to probably play SWTOR until/unless it self implodes, so it may be in Trions interest to socket itself in a different market.

You make a valid point, but I actually came from TOR back to Rift. The world was so static and felt so dead, and the story couldn't save what was otherwise a decidedly average game.

At the very least couldn't Trion implement a 'super-hard' difficulty that is never nerfed and, say, drops upgraded gear or AT LEAST ups the currency drop rates?

Default An alternative proposal

An alternative would be to simply make the nerfs optional. Allow parties/guilds to toggle the nerfs off when they enter an instance if they wanted the challenge. I believe that this should be a perfect solution, no?

The problem is all the entitlement babies whine if there is gear in the game that they can't get welfared to them. They play the "I pay $15/mo and i should be able to see all the content" card, even though they're unwilling to participate and put the dedication in to see high end raids, etc.

Trion so far has been smart about implementing ways for people to get raid level gear via soloing (inscribed's and such).

In my view there's a difference between nerf into the ground and make available to a broader audience. I feel that what Trion has been doing is the latter. Encounters on expert, master or raid difficulty will still require paying attention. Fail to do so, and you're in for a very frustrating run. Of course, if you're properly geared, runed and the works, things get easier. But that's a far cry from being nerfed into the ground as OP states. Please don't forget that as per definition of progression you out level or out gear certain content.

In all honesty: do you really expect an Iron Tomb on expert difficulty in Hammerknell Raid gear to provide the same challenge as Hammerknel itselfl? No, it will feel like you're facerolling it, which in effect is what you are doing simply because you have outgrown it.
    Ambonlos | Level 50 Kelari Rogue | Icewatch
    Asmodis | Level 50 Eth Mage | Icewatch
    Bahmi, Noodles and Rice

Rift Disciple

The encounter nerfs were relatively minimal, were they not? It's the recent gear upgrades that might trivialize some encounter mechanics (loldpschecks) even to the newer raiders, though.
    Oh and as far as "just seeing the content" goes, you might've heard about Chronicles.
    Last edited by Giggity; 02-17-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Rift Chaser

Hmm, someone complaining about encounters being too easy before even bothering to try any of them.

How refreshing.

Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why.

We do not allow petitions or community-created polls on our forums. The reason for this is we do not feel that either encourage a meaningful or constructive discussion since they promote replies that simply say ď/signedĒ or answer a list of questions. In place of a petition, we recommend presenting something as a request or a suggestion so that the entire community can discuss it. Itís also okay to present questions in your first post, but we ask that you donít call it a petition or a poll.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@riftgame.com.

Thank you!

Closed Thread