+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is progression like now?

General of Telara

Default What is progression like now?

OK coming back after like a 6 month break and starting a new warrior. Once I finally hit 50 what then? Where do I start gearing and where do I go from there? I know the obvious thing like run Heroics but for raiding do people still start out with GSB or is that too old and outdated? Also any Guardian side US servers run PuGs?
    Last edited by thomasmgp; 02-15-2012 at 12:20 PM.

1) get your crafted stuff
    2) run your daily experts for marks
    3) run plat bid pugs for the 10/20 mans for more marks
    4) participate in every zone event you can for inscribed sourcestones
    5) do pvp for supplimental gear

Champion of Telara

1. Hit 50.
    2. Enter HK.
    3. ...
    4. Profit

With gear inflation and HK nerfs... yeah, yeah. Laugh at that now if it doesn't hit close to home.

Honestly, buy your crafted and spend a week doing your tier 1. Most gear there get rb anyways. As long as you can follow instructions and don't stand in AOEs, that's about the requirements to start HK now-a-days.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Zerosum View Post
    1. Hit 50.
    2. Enter HK.
    3. ...
    4. Profit

With gear inflation and HK nerfs... yeah, yeah. Laugh at that now if it doesn't hit close to home.

Honestly, buy your crafted and spend a week doing your tier 1. Most gear there get rb anyways. As long as you can follow instructions and don't stand in AOEs, that's about the requirements to start HK now-a-days.
    Those would be the proper instructions IMO. Now who's ready to carry my mage through HK? She's awesome and guardian :P
    RNG is everything

7/8 ID HK Conq- Prostatus

Don't skip T1 raid content, you learn a lot about your class in the first raid tier. The mechanics are simple, and the loot is almost HK level after the buffs..so you can iron out specs and rotations that work best for you in raid situations. Trying to learn all that in HK is going to punish you and any raid you join. Raid experience is just about as important as gear IMO.
    Main thing is to not let yourself be idle at fresh 50. Participate in any content you can feasibly do, and your toon will be ready before you know it!
    Lasthope - Cleric
    Newhope - Salty Healing Mage Re-roll
    <Ready Check>
    Prime Progress: GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 RotP 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by Zerosum View Post
    1. Hit 50.
    2. Enter HK.
    3. ...
    4. Profit

This.

Or like some people you can pvp and get your rank 8 gear which will be better than the t1 raid gear and save you the time of spending weeks running 10 and 20 mans to get marks and buy pve gear.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Valavus View Post
    Don't skip T1 raid content, you learn a lot about your class in the first raid tier. The mechanics are simple, and the loot is almost HK level after the buffs..so you can iron out specs and rotations that work best for you in raid situations. Trying to learn all that in HK is going to punish you and any raid you join. Raid experience is just about as important as gear IMO.
    Main thing is to not let yourself be idle at fresh 50. Participate in any content you can feasibly do, and your toon will be ready before you know it!
    The only issue with this is that most guilds don't do ROS/GSB as progression so you have to PuG these as a fresh 50 and hope you get lucky on /roll. Also a lot of PuGs are very unforgiving of mistakes and will kick someone who doesn't already know the fights or makes a seemingly obvious mistake. If crafted gear will get someone into a guild just starting HK and get them raiding, so be it. Lower HK has been nerfed so much it can definitely be considered a good starter raid anyways (especially if most of your raid force is experienced and well geared)
    RNG is everything

Quote Originally Posted by Ladara View Post
    The only issue with this is that most guilds don't do ROS/GSB as progression so you have to PuG these as a fresh 50 and hope you get lucky on /roll. Also a lot of PuGs are very unforgiving of mistakes and will kick someone who doesn't already know the fights or makes a seemingly obvious mistake. If crafted gear will get someone into a guild just starting HK and get them raiding, so be it. Lower HK has been nerfed so much it can definitely be considered a good starter raid anyways (especially if most of your raid force is experienced and well geared)
    GDKP runs on our server are all the rage. This guy who just left our guild hit 50 last week and he's walking around w\ 2-3 blue pieces of armor, relic weapon, and other hk lvl gear.

I did GSB and ROS last week on my shabbily geared mage, and then ROTP and got quite a bit of gear.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

As a leader of a large guild (we have roughly 30-60 players online any given night at peak times not including mobile) I can safely say there is nothing more frustrating than those that want to hit 50 and raid the latest content.

I'm all for skipping over some things, such as if a player was bringing an alt up to fill a raid slot or be competitive in expert dungeons, but fresh players that just hit 50 and expect to raid, raid, raid like it's all there is to the game are completely missing the point.

We take care in trying to express the importance of the expert dungeon gearing process. We take care in making sure those players have the opportunity to experience the Tier 1 Raid Rifts. And finally, we also offer up multiple chances per week at getting into the 10 and 20 person Raid Tier 1 content. This is all designed to get them brushed up on the mechanics that Trion typically implements within encounters, and helps them learn to play their classes before going into the big leagues.

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from reaching end game, I just try to keep their goal set on what needs to happen before they get to that "end". If I ever let a player hit 50 and go straight into Hammerknell, I feel as if I failed as a leader for not letting them experience the great content before it. Not only that, but hopping into the top tier raid often creates these players as raid-loggers, instead of playing to play the game.

Just remember, hit up those dungeons and enjoy it. Raid Tier 1 is great too, and should not be overlooked at all for gearing and experience with mechanics. All of it does a nice job prepping for the current top tier.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Archemys View Post
    GDKP runs on our server are all the rage. This guy who just left our guild hit 50 last week and he's walking around w\ 2-3 blue pieces of armor, relic weapon, and other hk lvl gear.

I did GSB and ROS last week on my shabbily geared mage, and then ROTP and got quite a bit of gear.
    I don't think I've ever seen a GDKP on any of the shards I've been on. I know they just don't happen on Byriel. In fact I'm really confused as to how I'm going to gear my alt outside of PVP as she's opposite faction and I don't really see much activity on our guardian side for PuGs
    RNG is everything

Quote Originally Posted by Ladara View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a GDKP on any of the shards I've been on. I know they just don't happen on Byriel. In fact I'm really confused as to how I'm going to gear my alt outside of PVP as she's opposite faction and I don't really see much activity on our guardian side for PuGs
    A guild xferred over to seastone 2-3 weeks ago and did a couple GDKP runs... since then all day people are in 50 chat looking for gdkp runs.

I got into one last night just on alsbelth and got ~60-70p for 20 minutes. Going to run 2 tonight w\ my mage and get marks and maybe a drop or 2.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Ascendant

GDKP runs happen constantly on weekends on Wolfsbane.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Archemys View Post

What faction? Have a 50 cleric and mage i need to gear up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    What faction? Have a 50 cleric and mage i need to gear up lol.
    Our guild landed on Seastone about a month ago, and brought the GDKP concept with us. Blackout moved the next week, and started hosting their own runs as well. We've had some AMAZING drops the past few weeks(two Darkling Skulls in a row in 2 weeks), and the demand for more runs is huge. It's really a shame that most shards pass on this, as our raids tend to average around 40p to each raider(90p this past week!), so even geared peeps have a great incentive to join up.

The only problem with GDKP's is that gearing from them can take a giant pile of plat. So it tends to favor a well-funded alt over a fresh 50 with little to no plat. However, newbies still walk away with a pile of cash, and raid marks..so nobody walks away empty-handed.
    Lasthope - Cleric
    Newhope - Salty Healing Mage Re-roll
    <Ready Check>
    Prime Progress: GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 RotP 4/4

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nefaruis View Post
    3) run plat bid pugs for the 10/20 mans for more marks
    \
    option b) come to my server where t1 raid pugs are free and dont pay and have free rolls on relics

+ Reply to Thread