+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Tank looking for advice!

Default New Tank looking for advice!

Hello everyone,

As the thread title suggests i'm looking for some advice in tanking. Ingame I am currently a level 14 Paladin tank 50% to my next level (i'm following the ingame pre built soul tree).

I guess what i'm looking for is some do's and dont's as a tank in Rift and some general Paladin tanking tips. I don't really want to join my first dungeon as a tank and wipe on the first set of mobs!

Any help and suggestions you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

At low level tanks don't have many tools to control multiple mobs after the pull. The ideal time to start dungeons is around level 18, you will probably be a18pal6warl at this point. As a low level pal with some warlord, sweeping strike and Battlefield awareness are your two good aggro abilities that generate high threat in a 10m radius. Since you don't have an ae ranged attack yet, the best way to pull is by face pulling. Run in, once you are in radius hit sweeping strike, built up attack points and use call to battle (to trigger battlefield awareness). Repeat this on cool down. If you need to pull mobs back, use line of sight pulling and/or use sergeants order once you have it to pull in ranged mobs. Do not use shield charge for engaging. Since it triggers global cool down and does not produce threat on adds, those will go straight for the healer. You will get more 10 m aggro abilities as you level. Add them to your rotation as you get them. Most can be used in a simple macro.

If you have difficulties with trash pulls and controlling adds, try dropping the warlord and using at least 6 point reaver instead. Plague bringer spreads reaver dots at range and is a very safe and easy way to get initial aggro.

Before you engage a boss for the first time ask the group for advise how to tank and position him. Usually there will be someone in the group who has done the dungeon already. Even at low level some of the boss mechanics can be unforgiving.
    Last edited by Perros_The_Second; 02-11-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks alot for the input!

Hopefully this advice will save me from wiping the whole group!

Thanks again!

Plane Walker

For warrior tanks:

Abilities that deal additional threat = 4x damage as threat
    Abilities that deal significant threat = 8x damage as threat

(Someone correct me if the above are incorrect)

General tanking:

Taunts put your threat equivalent to whoever is at the top of the threat table. If you open your pull with a taunt, you essentially give yourself 1 point of threat. For this reason it is ideal to open up with a ranged attack (such as reaver dots or something like Light's Decree) rather than a taunt.

In order for someone to pull threat off of you, and for the mob to aggro to them their DPS must be 30% higher than your threat.

The above applies from lower levels all the way up into higher level tanking. If you understand how and why threat works you'll be a much better tank because of it ^^
    Last edited by Ak1230; 02-11-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Akx - Blackout@Deepwood
    http://riftblackout.com

+ Reply to Thread