+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Raid Hypertension

Default Raid Hypertension

Hi Guys/Girls.

Question: Things your guild does in raid to lighten the mood and keep the game fun?

Explanation: Raid recently has gone from chatting, enjoying the game and friendly banter to kills/hr bad moods. Regardless, we were successful prior to kill/hr bad moods, yet people are being sucked into this mind set.

Thanx in advance for your suggestions and experiences.
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by GoldChrish View Post
    Hi Guys/Girls.

Question: Things your guild does in raid to lighten the mood and keep the game fun?

Explanation: Raid recently has gone from chatting, enjoying the game and friendly banter to kills/hr bad moods. Regardless, we were successful prior to kill/hr bad moods, yet people are being sucked into this mind set.

Thanx in advance for your suggestions and experiences.
    It's up to raid leaders to squash malignant behavior before it gets out of hand. If the leaders are malignant themselves, someone has to bring it up to them in private.

Min/maxing mentality ruins a lot of otherwise good players. It's really hard to predict who will turn from a nice guildie to an asperger's posterchild once they get a taste of raiding. It happens in every MMO. Some people just can't handle that aspect of the game without turning into affected jerks.

You just have to put your foot down, and the majority of the guild will probably have your back.

Raid Exhaustion is inevitable... it is how the guild/leadership handles it that keeps a guild successful.

Our guild is comprised of a healthy mix of casual gamers and our "hardcore" raiders. Which helps keep the guild very socially mixed during non-raid times and outside of the raid core alike. I am an officer that is also considered an alternate raid leader and i notice when leading, that THAT person's attitude heavily affects the raid's mood... basically management & morale reinforcement type job.

We tend to run our raids a little loose, not quite militaristic, but also not completely out of control.
    Chatting in TS and socializing is more than acceptable in our raids outside of boss fights... trash is still pretty easy and our raid has been good about quieting down when a tank speaks up about pulls, interrupts or any specific duty they want filled for a trash pull. For bosses, we have a raid-wide understanding that it is time to shut-up so we can concentrate. This seems to have netted a good balance so far as almost all our raiders still play heavily outside of raids and spend lots of that game time on TS chatting with everyone.

It keeps people interested and having fun without totally squashing our progression efforts for Akylios practice days. We are still trying to finish gearing every single core raider, and even work in rotations of sitting core members that are well geared to getting some of our standby players geared up. This provides additional encouragement for non-regular raiders to stick with the guild and work on improving for the sake of overall guild progression & pride. This has been amazing as it has already filled HK raid spots from people that have had to leave the game for various reasons.

Longevity & retention for a raid is always subjective per raid leader, guild and members... some things work great, some do not. Akylios progression will probably see our hardest trials for raid retention, but so far (roughly 3 weeks) we haven't slowed down at all, and every single week we progress further into each phase. We also have a great leadership community who agree that positive reinforcement works best for us rather than "constructive criticism". For the cases of people having specific problems that potentially hold back the raid, we handle those matters privately with the person in question, helps to reduce drama and finger-pointing. We hold a strict policy against drama instigation in raids and in our guild in general.

TL;DR? Raid moods are heavily dependent on leadership attitudes. Set rules before hand that do not totally squash the social aspects of MMO gaming, while also retaining a responsibility towards progression.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

good advice, thank you
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PFalcon View Post
    It's up to raid leaders to squash malignant behavior before it gets out of hand. If the leaders are malignant themselves, someone has to bring it up to them in private.

Min/maxing mentality ruins a lot of otherwise good players. It's really hard to predict who will turn from a nice guildie to an asperger's posterchild once they get a taste of raiding. It happens in every MMO. Some people just can't handle that aspect of the game without turning into affected jerks.

You just have to put your foot down, and the majority of the guild will probably have your back.
    Don't know why you feel the need to lump a "min/maxing mentality" and "malignant behavior" together. It's perfectly possible to have one without the other.

Though judging from your signature you seem to have some kind of weird vendetta against players who enjoy the game differently from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Veev View Post
    Don't know why you feel the need to lump a "min/maxing mentality" and "malignant behavior" together. It's perfectly possible to have one without the other.

Though judging from your signature you seem to have some kind of weird vendetta against players who enjoy the game differently from you.
    [Edit]

As far as the OP is concerned, I find that you have to make the raiding about more than getting in and getting out. It's community that keeps a guild together, playing strong with one another. Give yourself some purpose besides farming content. Make alts, do some guild pvp, find SOMETHING to make the game fun, not a job.
    Last edited by Alyn; 02-10-2012 at 04:58 AM. Reason: name/shame

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Veev View Post

Read the OP. Who does kills per hour sound like to you.
    Min/Maxing is a personality thing. When their attitudes impinge on others they need checked.

You can min/max if you want. But clearly several have issues containing it to themselves.

Plane Touched

IMHO, it is all about raid leader.
    Mood in raid will be exactly as raid leader make it.

If raid leader make drama of every small mistake somebody in raid make you will more or less have bad mood in raid.
    If raid leader doesn't make drama and complain for every small mistake as long as raid is doing well you should have nice relaxed atmasphere.

Plane Walker

Techno Music

Also, in my opinion, if the raid seems to be in a bad mood or whatever, be an *******.
    This causes them to gain a common enemy.
    Be a complete jerk if you have to.
    Then, sincerely apologize. It allows the group to bond over something they are collectively upset about, and they will more than likely forgive you in the end and forget about it (if you do it right).

A person I raid with often takes the blame after something stupid happens, like a missed interrupt or a missed purge, even if it's not his fault. sure some groups would kick him for it, but it instantly gets rid of the "blame game" which can result in a lot of immature comments coming out that shouldn't be said.

The most important part in my opinion is A) don't keep secrets B) don't play favorites
    Not everything has to be discussed in whispers, even after you've made a decision, run it by the raid see how they feel about it. Make them feel like they are part of the decisions even if they aren't.

idk this might be the wrong way of doing things, but they are things I've observed, that seem to work. Though, not everyone is comfortable appearing as the "bad guy" as often as may be required.
    Doesn't matter what is put here, someone is going to @#%^& about it, regardless of what it is.

Prophet of Telara

Get a good loltroll in your guild. Helps on all but progression raids. We put muffler on him when its needed

I just make awkward advances at Puddn.

Keeps me entertained

Cleric Tank

Quote Originally Posted by PFalcon View Post
    Read the OP. Who does kills per hour sound like to you.
    Min/Maxing is a personality thing. When their attitudes impinge on others they need checked.

You can min/max if you want. But clearly several have issues containing it to themselves.
    The idea of min/maxing doesn't impinge on others, it's how the idea is implemented.

<Addiction> Retired from Rift - Off to Diablo 3 and GW2 or possibly Tera

Shadowlander

I'm the leader of a casual raiding guild, and as we progress deeper into Hammerknell this is something we've struggled with. I've tried to find people who value progressing at a pace that is fun for everyone rather than going as fast as possible, but we still have some nights where things get rough.

The important thing is that moods are infectious, both good and bad. When we get upset, we just shut off our mic. If I'm raid leading at the time, I've got several officers who've got my back to take over. If vent is only the people having fun, eventually you get over it. When things are going so horrible I can't imagine anyone having a good attitude (like three hours of wiping to Herald after full-clearing ROS for a month), I've been surprised how just shutting up can turn things around.

During progression (or after wiping on something old a few times >.<), if you notice improvement point it out! If someone makes a mistake, we don't usually dwell on it. Most of the time they know what they did wrong. In the rare case someone makes a mistake twice or doesn't seem to realize what happened, that's when the PMs go out. Keeping the negativity out of voice chat is key.

Plane Walker

Here's an idea, start drinking during raids. It always makes for fun times. But really, it's up to who's in your raids. My guild is always having a good time during farm nights, chatting it up and trolling our tanks like crazy. But we know when we need to be serious and not messing around. So it's all up to the people you bring to the raids. This game is supposed to be fun after all.

In our early days of raiding when GSB was progression we had a raider that would randomly play snippets of movies or songs through vent. He seemed to have a vast library of these and the soundbites could be relevant to events that happened during raid.

It was actually hilarious and would often diffuse any tension people felt when someone caused a wipe due to a failed mechanic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast