+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tristaynia
  • 1 Post By Tristaynia

Thread: New to the game... help me understand these currencies

Default New to the game... help me understand these currencies

I played Rift a bit back in the beta, but that lasted maybe two or three days for me. Now, I'm back, and I'm trying to make a more serious crack at it.

That being said, I'm a bit confused by all of the various currencies I've been accumulating while leveling. Favor I understand, it's used for PvP gear (mainly). Planarite seems to be used for augments, essences, and gear, so I've mainly been spending that on upgrading my equipment so I don't get wrecked when tanking dungeons.

Where I started getting lost was with the Sourcestones that I've gotten from the zone invasions. I found a handful of vendors where I can spend them on gear and essences (or buy planarite with them), but I'm not sure if I should be saving them for max level, as I've seen level 50 people participating in the invasions... I assume they're farming the stones for something, I just don't know what. So far, I've just held on to the ones I've gotten, but if it's there's nothing to use them on at the level cap, I'll just be trading them in for planarite and/or gear.

Can anybody offer me a breakdown of which currencies, if any, I should save up for level 50?

Also, on an unrelated note, are there any items I'll find while leveling that are worth a fair amount to other players? Currently trying to save up for a faster mount, but it's been slow going.

EDIT: Oops, looks like I posted this in the wrong forum.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-27-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Inscribed stones - from Rifts and Invasions
    Plaques of Achievement - T1/T2 Dungeons
    Marks of Ascension - T1 Raids/Completing T2 Dungeons
    Greater Marks of Ascension - T2 Raids/Completing T2 Dungeons
    Even free cost too much now

Plane Touched

Hi Muspel...

Yeah the currencies are a bit overwhelming at first... I'll try and give you a breakdown...

Planarite is used throughout the game to purchase a huge variety of goods including equipment, essences & crafting augments. You will get a steady stream of it be participating in any open-world Rift content and it scales with level... in the early days you may only get 4-5 per rift, but the things to buy cost maybe 50. By max level you will get potentially hundreds per invasion, but things will cost thousands. Because of this don't be scared to spend it as you go - your low level saving will only add up to 30 mins work at max level!

Sourcestones come in 4 flavors depending on the content level: Corrupted, Cursed, Vile and Inscribed. They are combined with planarite to buy good equipment for that level of content from 'Rare Planar Goods Vendors'. Once you are past that level of content any of the sourcestone you have are worthless and can be turned into planarite OR better yet, save them and they can actually be sent to an alt when you get that far, allowing them to quickly gear in the early stages.

The top level of Sourcestone (Inscribed) are used for a lot more... there's a ton of valuable equipment and one of your main sources of essence at level 50 will come from these. They're also a lot more available than the previous tier ones luckily!

Favor is used to purchase PvP gear.

Marks of Retribution are used to purchase higher level PvP gear. These can be directly bought with Favor so they're largely the same thing!

--- Other things you may encounter ---

Artisan's Marks are gained from completing crafting quests and used to purchase most in game recipes. Later on at level 50 you will also encounter Master Craftman's Marks.

Lucky Coins are gained from handing in artifact sets. They can be spend on a variety of costume and novelty items from the artifact NPC.

Plaques of Achievement are awarded for level 50 dungeon runs and allow you to purchase equipment. Marks of Ascension are the same but for the first Tier or raiding, followed by Greater Marks or Ascension for the top tier of raiding.

Various world events will have a unique currency which can be collected during the event for buying equipment and novelty items. These are only available during the event - when it's over, it's over! these are not stored in your currency list, but as inventory items.

Some factions at or near 50 have a currency for faction specific goods. Again these are inventory items not in the 'wallet'.

Great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tristaynia View Post
    Various world events will have a unique currency which can be collected during the event for buying equipment and novelty items. These are only available during the event - when it's over, it's over! these are not stored in your currency list, but as inventory items.
    Are world events things like the christmas stuff?

Default Too many currencies...

Just to chime in here, if folks have to ask then there are 'too many' currencies. New players easily get lost, and there really isn't any need for this many currencies.

I call is "sprawl".

Quote Originally Posted by Treig View Post
    Just to chime in here, if folks have to ask then there are 'too many' currencies. New players easily get lost, and there really isn't any need for this many currencies.

I call is "sprawl".
    There used to be more, lol.

At release, there was:

Money
    Planarite
    10 -- I think -- kinds of stones from invasions
    Artisan Marks
    9 -- I think -- crafting marks, one for each craft
    Favor
    Expert Marks
    Raid Marks

So... like 25 different currencies at release? It's actually a little better now.
    Read my Comprehensive Warrior Raid Tanking Guide and Warrior Tank Leveling Guide!
    RIP Affinity. Beta 3 - 5/10/12.
    ID 4/8 | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Are world events things like the christmas stuff?
    Yes, if you joined before new year you will have seen the christmas event, which gave 'Unique snowflakes' as a currency. Any of these you have left can still be used to purchase the event items (an events vendor still exists) however you can't earn any more. Any 'spare' ones that aren't enough to buy an item with are currently useless, however I think most people hold on to them hoping that in the future they may be able to trade them in or use them again.

Thanks again-- this was exactly what I needed.

+ Reply to Thread