+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build Up Your Resistance - How Important per Role?

Default Build Up Your Resistance - How Important per Role?

Hey guys. I returned to the game 2 weeks ago after being gone since around 1.3. I play a Cleric and recently joined a raiding guild and started healing. I've cleared RoS, GSB, DH and GP so far. During my first week back I started farming ISS to build up a competent sigil. So far, 4 100 ISS Best-In-Slot lessers. The guild I'm in is slowly progressing through Hammerknell, and I've just gotten my hit up to 320 for potential hybrid healing.

My big question is: How important is resist gear for DPS and Healers? I haven't even gotten to blow 600 ISS on completing my first sigil; farming for another 2 weeks for an alternate sigil seems both a burden and degenerative, as I've still got plenty of gear upgrades and stats to worry about. Getting the best 6 water resist essences would drop my SP/SC quite a bit, I'd imagine, and I'm only around 1300 SP unbuffed at the moment.

I don't personally expect to be on the front line of Hammerknell progression, but as far as priorities and prepping for the future go, should I be farmiing invasions every free moment I have for ISS, or should gear/my first sigil be of higher priority?

Many thanks
    Last edited by Denna; 01-22-2012 at 11:50 AM.

imho a full set of resist can make or break a progression raid boss. i love doing high dps, but my PA points went strait into death and water resist for HK. dead dps do no dps. the last 3 in HK use some water resist and akylios uses a lot. i'd say stacks as much water resist for akylios as you can. lessers, runes, PA, etc. the faster you can get through phases the better.

what i want to know is what kind of resist we should be collecting for ID. all fire? some earth? goin back and thinking about it, it would have been so nice to have gone into HK with a death resist source core. would have helped out a lot imo. i'm not in a world first guild or anything, but being prepared never hurt anything.
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

Plane Walker

You need some fairly formidable water resists for the last 3 bosses in HK. Now, it doesn't all necessarily have to come from your sigil/machine, but you'll likely have to get at least a portion of it from there. For those last three, your going to want to be 100+ unbuffed more than likely, depending on your overall gear level. Anything less, and you have a very high chance of being a battle rez waiting to happen.
    ~ Cameela ~
    50 Rogue - Rank 40
    Officer of <Dark Horizon>
    GP 4/4 - DH 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 4/4 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - ID 4/8
    Byriel

Plane Touched

Unless your guild is made of all-stars from previous guilds that progressed deep into HK, I would expect it to take several months at least for you to reach HK's upper floor. You should have PLENTY of time to finish your BiS sigil and still farm the inscribed necessary to build a water resist sigil. Death resist isn't really necessary for the lower floors of HK, but it can help. I find that Planar Protection and, very rarely, a Death Resist vial are more than sufficient. I went through lower HK as a cleric with no special resist. All I got was Planar Prot and the Archon resist aura; I had no problems.

PS - A water resist sigil does not cost 600 inscribed because you can't buy 6x 100 inscribed essences of one resist type. Most players get the two 100 inscribed water resist essences for their class (Int/Wis ones in your case), then buy the +17 Endurance/24 Water Resist essence for 50 inscribed, and then buy the 2 50 inscribed essences for their class. The final essence can either be the best raid rift drop for their class OR the water resist only essence from the vendor.

Basically:

2x 100 Essences
    2x 50 Essences
    1x 50 Essence (17 End/24 Resist)
    1x Drop from Water Raid Rift

Total cost is only 350 Inscribed, generally. I actually have 3 drop essences in my sigil, so I will either replace them with better vendor essences when I have the sourcestone or save the stones for other cores.
    Tenethar -- Cleric -- Justicar Tank/Inquisicar/DPS
    Officer of <Static> -- 11/11 HK -- Wolfsbane PvE

Ascendant

Nothing really requires resistance for raiding except a small amount of water resist for upper floor HK.

I'd recommend focusing on a dps sigil or healing sigil.
    Last edited by Ahov; 01-22-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Many thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses. I'll build resist sigils after my DPS/Heals are accounted for. My guild isn't cutting edge, we won't be seeing Akylios (or most of the top floor) for a good while yet, best I can tell.

The dead can't heal, that's for sure, but the living can't heal either if their stats aren't up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Nothing really requires resistance for raiding except a small amount of water resist for upper floor HK.

I'd recommend focusing on a dps sigil or healing sigil.
    Keep in mind ahov is in one of the top world guilds, so this is nice to have and use, but only after you've finished progression when getting one shotted by garau because you weren't ready for water jet is no longer an issue.

HK upper floors is the more water the better, since it's all gearing for aky anyway. Lower floors, death is nice to have for molinar and grug, nothing else really needs it.
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

I'm glad someone posted about this. My guild is progressing through ROS now and have GSB on ~50 min clear weekly. We will be venturing into HK soon. On my server some guilds run a PUG HK group and in 50 chat they ask for people who have 100 death resist for HK. We are usually in guild voice chat going "why death resist for HK?"

If what I am reading here is correct you should stack more water resist and not death?

or would it be a good idea to take the water sigil from the world event that launched HK (the one that has +40 water resist on it) and stack 2 death lessers and 2 water lessers?

i'm getting ready to start to spend ISS on this sigil in preparation for HK and I don't want to burn ISS the wrong way.
    Violalee/Staggerlee/RamblinRose
    Jaded Legacy Guild Rank 20 4/4 DH, 4/4 GP 5/5 GSB 4/4 ROS (conq.) 4/4 ROTP 10/11 HK 2/4 PF
    Shatterbone Guardians

Death resist is completely unnecessary. Well, OK, if you're hilariously undergeared it can be useful on a couple of fights on the bottom floor, but it's not worth farming extra death resist for. I have two whole Death essences on my DPS sigil (which is only because they're BIS anyway) and have never had any issues on HK lower floor - most mechanics will more or less one-shot you anyway if you mess up, and you'd need massive amounts of DR to make any meaningful difference.

You will, however, want as much water resist as you can get, at least when you're first progressing. It's only for the last three bosses though, so make a separate sigil with full WR, get the shoulder/chest runes, and if you find later on you've got way more than you need you can always replace them with better ones later. But while you're still learning the fights - Akylios especially - the more pressure you can take off of your healers, the better.

As for mixing essences, apart from the minor point about death for the undergeared, you either need water or nothing. Suck it up and make two sigils - there's no point making a crappy DPS sigil by putting suboptimal water essences in, or making a bad WR sigil by using non-WR essences.

Banned

I had extra marks, and lots of inscribed with nothing to spend them on for a while, so when my guild started HK I went and grabbed an extra chest and shoulders and put death resist runes on them and put together a death sigil. I even went all out and brought death resist potions.

I've resisted three Murdantix blasts in a row... and can literally just ignore the puddles. Just because it's not needed doesn't mean it isn't useful. Other things take priority, but if you have currency to spare you may as well as it's better than not having it.

We were only 2/11 when the guild broke up though, so I can't comment on other fights. Though on reset night I can always get invited to a PUG that's getting a kill or two in before reset.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    I had extra marks, and lots of inscribed with nothing to spend them on for a while, so when my guild started HK I went and grabbed an extra chest and shoulders and put death resist runes on them and put together a death sigil. I even went all out and brought death resist potions.

I've resisted three Murdantix blasts in a row... and can literally just ignore the puddles. Just because it's not needed doesn't mean it isn't useful. Other things take priority, but if you have currency to spare you may as well as it's better than not having it.

We were only 2/11 when the guild broke up though, so I can't comment on other fights. Though on reset night I can always get invited to a PUG that's getting a kill or two in before reset.
    All you do by standing in the AOE is put more pressure on your healers. You can survive them without death resist if your heals are high enough, but theres absolutely no excuse to take more than one hit from them anyway.

Death resist is usefull if your absolutely terrible, but if your that bad your probably not going to get past murdantix.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lepple View Post
    All you do by standing in the AOE is put more pressure on your healers. You can survive them without death resist if your heals are high enough, but theres absolutely no excuse to take more than one hit from them anyway.

Death resist is usefull if your absolutely terrible, but if your that bad your probably not going to get past murdantix.
    I'm not saying I stand in them on purpose, just that if I have to move I can run right over them and still take less damage during the fight than almost everyone else there.

Thanks for the insight guys. As I said some other guilds ask for this when they are attempting to PUG HK, which LOL I would never do, strictly guild runs only for us. Maybe because they are trying to PUG it they feel people need it.
    Violalee/Staggerlee/RamblinRose
    Jaded Legacy Guild Rank 20 4/4 DH, 4/4 GP 5/5 GSB 4/4 ROS (conq.) 4/4 ROTP 10/11 HK 2/4 PF
    Shatterbone Guardians

Quote Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
    I'm glad someone posted about this. My guild is progressing through ROS now and have GSB on ~50 min clear weekly. We will be venturing into HK soon. On my server some guilds run a PUG HK group and in 50 chat they ask for people who have 100 death resist for HK. We are usually in guild voice chat going "why death resist for HK?"

If what I am reading here is correct you should stack more water resist and not death?

or would it be a good idea to take the water sigil from the world event that launched HK (the one that has +40 water resist on it) and stack 2 death lessers and 2 water lessers?

i'm getting ready to start to spend ISS on this sigil in preparation for HK and I don't want to burn ISS the wrong way.
    Kiv too that Alot of the fights have been nerfed too. Murd, sic a, moli, zilas, matron, grug and estrode are now pretty easy to kill. During the new year break when most of my core were on holidays, our backbenchers still managed to clear to aky. Sure they died Alot more, but they did it... Which goes to show learning how not to stand in stuff is a key, lifelong skill.
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

Its helpful when you're learning the fights because you'd be more prone to mistakes.

Its not at all useful when you're farming it.

When most of your raid is clad in hex-relics and aklyios weapons, resist is almost unnecessary. Sure it'd help on some mechanics, but nearly all of the water damage from aklyios is avoidable. The only completely unavoidable ones are the Orb, aklyios' eye beams, cerebral bore and the random splash of water flung onto the platform.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast