+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Help me understand PvE endgame better please

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Default Help me understand PvE endgame better please

So I recently rejoined Rift and I already had a lvl 50 rogue I was using to tank T1's and gearing up. Since I rejoined I have been doing endgame crafting and craft rifts and collecting inscribed, running T1's and finishing my T1 tank set.

I'm pretty sure I do T2's next, but I've been hearing about "T1 Raids" and I don't know what those are, I also don't understand where Raid Rifts fit into progression (I have done expert rifts). T1's don't ever drop anything I need anymore besides just the plaques.

I also don't know where "10 mans" fit into progression.

I have all the tank gear I can get through plaques from the T1 vendor, with better crafted shoulders. I have about 113 toughness. I can tank T1's very well and rarely have a problem on my end.

Will someone please help me understand what I should be doing with my current gear to progress and where some of these other endgame features fit in the line of progression?

Plane Touched

You should hit T2s daily for Greater mark of Ascension.

You need to get inscribed sourcestone for a sigil/source machine. (tank/dps), check invasions between t2s/raids.

Then start pugging DH/GP/MDD as a bard initially as you don't need much stats to benefit the raid.

You might also want to do the daily PVP as well for exp for PA. PA helps more than you expect it, it stacks up over time really well.

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Can you explain the DH/GP/MDD in a bit more detail?

Are these 10 or 20 man? What will I get for them? How long do they take to complete on average?

I am married and it's hard to get more than a couple hours at a time.

Also, what about that vendor that lets you upgrade the T1 armor with additional plaques? I think it brings them from 25 toughness to 33? I should go for greater marks instead of doing those upgrades?

t1 dungeons --> t2 dungeons ---> 10 man t1 raids (gilded prophecy - GP, drowned halls - DH), t1 raid rifts, t1 20-man raids ( Greenscale’s Blight - GSB ; River of Souls - RoS), master mode dungeon (only DD has mm for now) ----> t2 raid rifts (2 so far on ember island), t2 10-man raid (Rise of the Phoenix - RoTP) and 20-man t2 raid Hammerknell Fortress (HK). You put pointer over stat (toughness in your case) and tooltip will show you minimum required for wanted tier.
    Last edited by Mauzeer; 01-16-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Evandro, Retired

Honestly I'd recommend getting the regular Marks of Ascension as your daily T2 reward.
    You wont get enough GMoA any time soon for it to be worth it, gun for the MoA Synergy Crystal imo.

Get some craftable gear, most of the good stuff is better than T2 Expert equipment.
    I'd then do some Raid Rifts (20man Open World, 30 minutes)
    Then do some 10 man raids (Gilded Prophecy-GP, Drowned Halls-DH, 1 hour - 2 hours each depending on group)
    Nope.

if you're trying to understand how progression works, in summary:

tier1 gear - run t1 expert dungeons (i.e Kings Breach, Iron Tomb etc)
    tier2 gear - run t2 expert dungeons (i.e Darkening Deeps, Deepstrike mines)
    tier2.5 gear - run the 20man raid rifts in stillmoore/shimmersand
    tier3 gear - run either 10man GP/DH, or 20man GSB/ROS. GSB/ROS is also known as "tier 1 raids". 20man gear is *slightly* better than 10man, but still tier3 gear.
    tier3.5 gear - run 20man raid rifts in ember isle (also known as "tier2 raid rifts"
    tier4 gear - run either 10man ROTP, HK

If you want to gear up quickly, make sure you do your dailies so that they can reset every 24hrs. i.e use your t2 random, do daily raid rifts if anyone is still doing them, do your pvp dailies.
    Last edited by lordsquishy; 01-16-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Jucks / Jux - 50 Defiant Cleric - P8
    Guild < Ethereal > : 11/11 HK - 4/4 ROTP

Click here for my RIFT videos

Isz
    Champion of Telara

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

So it seems like by what your all saying that I should be doing T2's and not grinding T1's anymore. I have been a little reluctant to do them because there is a lot of pressure to do well as a tank and I don't want to waste peoples time learning. Hopefully I'll get some groups that don't mind explaining the bosses and such.

I have been gone long enough that I have no idea what the whole synergy crystal thing is, I think it is part of an armor set? I have seen them but don't fully understand the use of them.

Do people PUG the 10 man's? I don't have a guild and PUG everything so I'm hoping I can do it up to the last areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Isz View Post
    Thanks a lot for the help guys!

So it seems like by what your all saying that I should be doing T2's and not grinding T1's anymore. I have been a little reluctant to do them because there is a lot of pressure to do well as a tank and I don't want to waste peoples time learning. Hopefully I'll get some groups that don't mind explaining the bosses and such.

I have been gone long enough that I have no idea what the whole synergy crystal thing is, I think it is part of an armor set? I have seen them but don't fully understand the use of them.

Do people PUG the 10 man's? I don't have a guild and PUG everything so I'm hoping I can do it up to the last areas.
    There's not much learning to T2s. Just go in, tank, get out. Use your cooldowns as much as possible. If your healer can't keep you up, drop the group and do another. You'll get a lot of entitled jack ***** that will complain you're not geared for T2s, even though you are. Remember that.

And yes, people pug 10mans all the time. They're not very hard at all. My suggestion is to find a guild running GSB/ROS and do that with them. They're bound to do the 10mans, too.

Depending on srver, GP DH GSB ROS and even parts of rotp are puggable.

Syn crystals fall into three tiers right now.

Crafted. These don't need an actual crystal and happen if you equip enough of the crafted sets.

T1 these come from the t1 raids, GSB ROS GP DH. There are two and four piece bonuses. You get them by equipping enough of that set, plus the crystal you want.

E.g. You want the riftstalker tank crysta. At two pieces, and I can't recall exact stats so I'm making this next but up, it might give 45ap. At four pieces, it gives some special ability.

T2 crystals come from hammer knell, or greater marks from HK and rotp and the t2 daily. Same thing as the t1 set,but different gear required to activate it. It usually takes the four piece bonus from t1 and gives a new four piece bonus.

Hope that helps!
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

Plane Touched

Warning, a bit of a long read, but it should answer your questions.

If you're tanking T1's well and not having problems, you should be fine to move up to T2's, provided you have enough stats for them. You'll need 100 toughness and hit (assuming you still want to tank, that is) for a T2 expert if I recall (mouse-over those stats in-game and it should tell you how much you need), and if you meet those goals you should be fine.

The important thing is when you get in a T2 instance for the first time, you should tell the group it's your first time in the instance. Chances are someone else in the group has been there, and can give you a run down on the boss fights (at least the important parts, anyway), and if they don't it's their fault if something goes wrong, not yours, and you can try again now that you know what to do.

As for your other questions. A synergy crystal is an extra item that you equip (it has it's own slot below rings) that gives you a set bonus if you're wearing the corresponding armor set. Each armor set has several different crystals that will work with it - at lower tiers of gear, there's just a couple for each role (dps, healing, tanking) but once you start to get into raid quality drops there will be 1 for each soul that will give a bonus to specific spells from that soul.

The first set you're likely to find will be from the T2 dungeon gear vendor: you buy the items by trading in the T1 item + more plaques. When you have at least 2 pieces of that set, you should look into getting a crystal for them (they'll be sold in the planar college in meridian for defiants, or wherever guardians buy their essences in sanctum).

As for people pug'ing raids, it varies from server to server. You won't likely have enough stats for a raid until you've got a fair amount of T2 expert gear though, so you'll have a little time before that will matter. You'll want at least 200 hit, though 220 is ideal, and 150 toughness if you plan to tank. You'll have better luck going as a bard if you're still undergeared, though. Not many people "want" to be a bard, and will be perfectly happy to let you do it so they can get back to dps'ing, but bards provide great buffs to the raid and are pretty much always welcome. Once you've got a full set of T2 expert tanking gear, and have maybe gone on a pug raid or two to see the instance, you can go as a tank (or possibly an off-tank, so you can watch and learn from the main tank) and start to pick up some raid gear!

just want to put it out there that people are more willing to help you if you say you are new (as proven in this thread).

therefore don't feel scared to say you're new to a t2 when u zone in, they will go easy on ya unless you meet some jerk

Jucks / Jux - 50 Defiant Cleric - P8
    Guild < Ethereal > : 11/11 HK - 4/4 ROTP

Click here for my RIFT videos

Isz
    Champion of Telara

I'm really glad to hear that bards are desirable, I never got into DPS as a rogue and I love playing bard. If there was bard gear and a real endgame for them I would have seriously considered it over tanking.

There's still no real way to gear for a bard right?

If you want to play bard, your priority is to maximise attack power instead of crit with a DPS stuff. That's the first things you need to become a good bard. This can be achieve by runes for example, and later with crystal (correct me if I'm wrong with the last one, I'm not a rogue)
    Last edited by Leetina; 01-17-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Plane Touched

THE DUNGEON AND RAID SYSTEM

There are currently 4 (or arguably 5) steps in the dungeon/raid progression system as follows...

Fresh 50: Spend a small amount of time running CC, AP and CR to get a few early blues. Chronicle are also a good way of getting a good early boost.

Tier 1: Involves 5 expert dungeons, IT, RotF, FC, KB & LH. A dps class may be able to start these immediately but a tank/healer may need to invest a little time in Fresh 50 content first. You should plan on acquiring epic (purple) level loot for perhaps 75%+ of your slots from T1 before advancing in order to not be a burden to groups further on. There will also be toughness, focus and hit requirements (class dependent) you will want to meet using T1 gear before progressing. For more info hover over the stat in your character sheet. Most of the open-world invasions (other than Ember Islands) should be easily achievable at this point.

Tier 2: Involves 7 expert dungeons, DD, DSM, AP, RD, CC, CR-U and CR-L. There are also expert rifts available designed for approx 5 players and opened using items purchased from the planar college vendors. Despite a daily quest for them they are rarely done. Again, aim to acquire 75%+ epics and meet toughness/focus/hit stats from T2 before progressing.

Tier 3: Also known as raid Tier 1. In this bracket we have 2x 10 man dungeons, DH and GP as well as 2x 20 man dungeons (GSB and RoS). There are also raid rifts which can be opened using items from the planar college vendors and are designed for approx 20 people (often done with less these days). A daily quest exists for these. Although Ember Isle is accessible even at fresh 50, you will likely find you want to be of about T3 to really participate there, especially in zone invasions! Most T3 content is available in pick up groups these days. There is also a Master Mode version of Darkening Deeps available designed for people of about this gearing.

Tier 4: Also known as raid Tier 2. In this bracket there is current a 10 man dungeon (RotP) and a 20 man dungeon (HK). There are also what are usually called T2 raid rifts in EI. T4 content usually requires organised guilds or at least a couple of them working together.

IN SUMMARY

Fresh 50
    • Normal Mode: Abyssal Prespice, Charmer's Caldera & Cadeus Rise
    • Chronicles
    Tier 1
    • Expert Mode: Iron Tombs, Realm of the Fae, Lantern Hook, King's Breach & Foul Cascade
    • Stillmoor, Shimmersand & Iron Pine Peaks Zone Invasions
    Tier 2
    • Expert Mode: Darkening Deeps, Deepstrike Mines, Runic Decent, Abyssal Prespice, Charmer's Caldera & Cadeus Rise (Upper + Lower)
    • Expert Rifts
    Tier 3 (Raid T1)
    • 10 Man: Drowned Halls & Guilded Prophecy
    • 20 Man: Greenscale's Blight & River of Souls
    • T1 Raid Rifts (Shimmersand, Stillmoor & Iron Pine)
    • Ember Island Invasions
    • Master Mode: Darkening Deeps
    Tier 4 (Raid T2)
    • 10 Man: Rise of the Phoenix
    • 20 Man: Hammerknell
    • T2 Raid Rifts (Ember Isles)

Hope this is useful!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Isz View Post
    I'm really glad to hear that bards are desirable, I never got into DPS as a rogue and I love playing bard. If there was bard gear and a real endgame for them I would have seriously considered it over tanking.

There's still no real way to gear for a bard right?
    I've only done the most basic of casual barding, so I can't tell you exactly what stats to get, but there are a couple ways to gear up as a bard. The first, and kind of obvious, is to just wear all the same kind of stuff you'd wear if you were a dps (with emphasis on AP first, crit second, where possible). The second is to pick up tanking gear: either full tanking, or a mix of tanking and dps gear. The idea being you'd use the dps gear when there wasn't a lot of AE damage going around and so you didn't think you were in danger of dying, and use the tanking gear when there is a lot of AE damage going around, to make sure you keep yourself alive (so that you can keep up your buffs, and help heal everyone else, thus keeping the whole raid alive).

Regardless of which gear set you use, you'll want to have a separate source core/sigil, and ideally trinket. You'll want a core with 2 of the shield/HoT greater essences (2 of the exact same won't stack, but 2 of slightly different lvl will, so you can have 2 shield essences for instance) and a trinket that procs extra healing or a shield when you heal someone. All the bard healing, including the damage = healing from Cadence, will proc these, so you can get a lot of extra healing going from having a core designed for it, and even more if you manage to get your hands on a trinket as well.

Also, as for "a real end-game" for bards, pretty much every single raid ever will want a bard + archon (though probably only one or the other for 10 man raids), and if you tell a guild raid leader that you like to bard, and would be happy doing it full-time and learning all the ins/outs and strats etc, they'll probably be plenty happy to have you as a full-time member of their team, assuming you're any good at it, and they don't already have a full-time bard. Matter of fact, I was just reading another thread from someone asking how to get someone in their raid to bard when no one wants to do it, and the general consensus seemed clear that you should recruit someone for full-time barding, and rotate the dps that refused to do it out if there isn't room.
    Last edited by Kedolan; 01-17-2012 at 04:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast