Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rise of the Phoenix (Sliver) - Seething Cores Temporarily Disabled

Ascendant

You're going to be even more disappointed with SWTOR then.

So much for our fast clear tonight, fix ASAP plx trion!

The comments of: "Every MMO has bugs, you have to roll with the punches", do not make sense to me. Yes, I've been playing these for a very long time and I realize there are a lot of bugs that get released onto live servers. That doesn't make it right, and for people to just "accept" it, is worrisome.

It's the same with single player games. I know for a fact that when I buy a game off the shelf the first thing I do when I get home is go to the games website and download the patch that was released the day the game was released. We've all heard the horror stories of game breaking bugs that make them unplayable. Again, the fact that gamers accept this does not make it right. We should not expect mediocrity.

In the grand scheme of things, missing out on 3 marks and 3 rings for one weekend isn't going to ruin the game. It's about perception though. People tend to remember the last bad thing that happened. And when we have patch after patch (I refuse to call them hot-fixes) that fix small game breaking bugs that should never have made it live then people start to get upset.

A simpler solution to the Seething Cores would have been to put a wall up behind Ereandorn that did not drop until he died. I still don't understand what the big problem is with people killing 3 mobs that drop great loot and giving one mark. If guilds are struggling with that content, that gives them another opportunity to help gear up. That's just me though.

While bugs do pop up, it's the job of Q/A to try to catch these. I've also seen bugs listed on PTS that make it all the way live, then suddenly get a fix when the entire game population cries out. While it happens in other games, I have higher hopes for Trion. Hence the complaints.
    Last edited by Fraktyl; 12-10-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Fraktyl View Post
    The comments of: "Every MMO has bugs, you have to roll with the punches", do not make sense to me. Yes, I've been playing these for a very long time and I realize there are a lot of bugs that get released onto live servers. That doesn't make it right, and for people to just "accept" it, is worrisome.

It's the same with single player games. I know for a fact that when I buy a game off the shelf the first thing I do when I get home is go to the games website and download the patch that was released the day the game was released. We've all heard the horror stories of game breaking bugs that make them unplayable. Again, the fact that gamers accept this does not make it right. We should not expect mediocrity.

In the grand scheme of things, missing out on 3 marks and 3 rings for one weekend isn't going to ruin the game. It's about perception though. People tend to remember the last bad thing that happened. And when we have patch after patch (I refuse to call them hot-fixes) that fix small game breaking bugs that should never have made it live then people start to get upset.

A simpler solution to the Seething Cores would have been to put a wall up behind Ereandorn that did not drop until he died. I still don't understand what the big problem is with people killing 3 mobs that drop great loot and giving one mark. If guilds are struggling with that content, that gives them another opportunity to help gear up. That's just me though.

While bugs do pop up, it's the job of Q/A to try to catch these. I've also seen bugs listed on PTS that make it all the way live, then suddenly get a fix when the entire game population cries out. While it happens in other games, I have higher hopes for Trion. Hence the complaints.
    Wow, name 1 piece of software that doesnt have bugs, and quite often many of them. Windows, Autocad, Photoshop, Excel, etc etc. They all have bugs. They all have patches, Service Packs etc. It's part of the nature of things. There is a difference in accepting something being mediocre and accepting the reality of things. I am realistic. There will be bugs. There will be major bugs at times. There will be bugs that people can't believe they didnt catch. People act like they never make mistakes at their work that the customers catch.

Code is complex. And their live environment isnt perfectly duplicated in test. Stuff sometimes reacts differently in the different environments. To the other person that said they were a QA person and this would never happen there, I simply don't believe it. It happens with every company, every MMO and other software department. Yes it may happen more often in Games and MMOs, but you have t be realistic and see it for what it is. A Game, especially an MMO is about the content and having plenty of it. I can assure you, more people will overlook a handful of bugs, over a lack of content, so an MMO company will naturally spent more on developing content quickly over ensuring it is 100% bug free. Just ask yourself, If you had 2 patches in a 6 month time frame and 1 added content but few bug fixes, the other fixed many bugs but had little to no content, which would make people happier.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Fraktyl View Post

Expectations are unrealistic...if you truly have been playing this type of game, or any for that matter, for any length of time you would realize it is inevitable that things will break when fixing something whether fixing something is related or unrelated to the bug that happened. You say you realize it but in the same point say it shouldn't be allowed...like I said unrealistic to expect even the best q/a to find everything and get a fix for it in time for a patch. A lot of times things can break when you can fix something completely unrelated to it, it just happens.
    Last edited by Bluelightt; 12-10-2011 at 09:49 AM.

No, I never once said it shouldn't be allowed. I said that people just saying it's the "norm" isn't acceptable. People hold up Windows and all this other software and say "It's good enough". That shouldn't be the norm. I would assume any company would strive to become better. I know I do.

I'm well aware of software development. I do it for a living. The software I work on would cost my company millions of dollars if I screw it up though, so there's a much stricter focus on Q/A and regression testing.

I'm not going to go into the history of MMO bugs I have seen, but they go back to when Verant was still working on Everquest and Origin wrote UO.

The point is, more care should be taken and knee jerk reactions should not be the norm. Not that the bugs are a bad thing. I am not naive enough to believe that everyone is perfect, I don't put myself on that pedestal. My point was that things should be tested a little more instead of rushed out the door. This is just one case of things being disabled because it wasn't fully tested before being pushed out the door.

I'm also fully aware that it won't change and it's something we do have to live with. I am realistic about that. That doesn't mean I have to like it, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be vocal just because "That's the way it is". My initial post may have been a little more excited, but the follow ups I feel have been fairly rational. You don't have to agree with my position, just like I don't have to agree with yours.
    Last edited by Fraktyl; 12-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    simple fix... roll back to previous state.
    then work on fixing the broken stuff on PTS
    Like they rolled back PvP rifts exploit? Or the XP/money farmed from HK chronicle? No friend, Trion knows better.

Since I can't edit.

Finally, I'm not quitting over this. I'm paid for a full year because I like what I've seen. That doesn't mean I have to like it when things get broke. People are passionate about their hobbies. Watch people fight over soccer matches. It's human nature.

I was just expressing a viewpoint, without flames (not saying anyone flamed either). Nothing more, nothing less.

Telaran

Back on subject, any word on when we can expect to see this fixed?

I need me some BiS rings!

Ira
    Soulwalker

You should probably have left it as is till next lock out, jist call it a christmas present from Trion.

As it is the people who didn't get the free loot + marks will be pissed at the ones who did and if you do the right thing and rolll back the marks and loot on the people who got extra they're going to be pissed. No matter what you do someone is going to be annoyed.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    You should probably have left it as is till next lock out, jist call it a christmas present from Trion.

As it is the people who didn't get the free loot + marks will be pissed at the ones who did and if you do the right thing and rolll back the marks and loot on the people who got extra they're going to be pissed. No matter what you do someone is going to be annoyed.
    Not like it matters for 9 extra marks (and the potential bonus ones) and rings everyone will have in a few weeks (for those that actually run the instance)

What I'm finding surprising is that a fix haven't been rolled out yet. So a few ideas for you devs:
    - Keep current code, but only spawn 1 core per boss killed -> makes it a bit rewarding to kill extra bosses
    - Make the cores run faster (or have a ranged attack) to prevent kiting (and have them spawned when entering the sliver -> keeps allowing "first timers" to get some easy kills if that was the original intent
    - Turn them into one real boss with a difficulty inbetween the first 2 bosses and Silgen (and with similar drops to other bosses in amount/quality) -> probably not happening since a quick fix is needed

Or just make the game remember that cores have already been spawned and not spawn new ones :P

Telaran

Default quick fix

Give them a pull or grab to the highest threat in the group and it's solved, put them back the way they were and give them sgt's orders type of move. problem solved no one can solo the mob.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanol View Post
    Not like it matters for 9 extra marks (and the potential bonus ones) and rings everyone will have in a few weeks (for those that actually run the instance)
    Golems only drop one mark each, so it's actually 3 extra marks (plus possible bonuses).

Also why are people making suggestions on how else they can fix the solo issue? Their proposed and implemented solution works fine, as it not only keeps people from solo'ing them, but also keeps undergeared groups from taking out the golems to get rings that they have not really progressed towards earning.

This fix is definitely a smart one...obviously I wish they had done it correctly and not bugged/disabled them, but what're ya gonna do... I'm sure it's a quick fix that they'll roll out Monday or Tuesday...just their devs clearly don't work on weekends unfortunately (not to mention weekend patches impact too many people)

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Move their loot tables to the 'proper' bosses in RoTP....give each of the bosses a class ring as extra drop.....problem Officer?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Move their loot tables to the 'proper' bosses in RoTP....give each of the bosses a class ring as extra drop.....problem Officer?
    why?... The golems are not a problem, mini bosses are great..Just like the focii in RoS. Why would you want to get rid of them entirely? They are a nice moral booster after a group downs Ereandorn.

The issue with them being soloable has already been fixed, they just need to...re-fix it.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast