+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Master Mode DD is pointless

Soulwalker

lol, I would like to see a T2 geared party beating the timers on water element and the bosses afterward.
    if you can beat MMDD, you dont need the gears probably, so you only do it for the marks.

Rift Chaser

It's a godsend for raiding guilds who need to replace a few members, since it allows them to gear a couple people up fairly quickly without needing 19 other people who are only there for the sake of being there.

Also, find a guild, stop pugging, and volia, you almost always have 4 friends who are capable and ready to go.
    You can't get there from here, Alice.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Java2 View Post
    lol, I would like to see a T2 geared party beating the timers on water element and the bosses afterward.
    if you can beat MMDD, you dont need the gears probably, so you only do it for the marks.
    Admittedly I cannot speak directly to this, but as a T1 raid geared party we beat this with large margins, so I can only suspect a T2 expert geared party could beat it at least barely. It's just going to be hard, require good specs and well-thought-out ability rotations, and possibly role switches specific to the fight...then add things like consumables, banners, etc. If you're not running all this stacked together, you're not bringing what you need to bring for a raid anyway.

In any case, I would be surprised if you showed me a parse from this fight showing 3 DPSers parsing what they should at the end of T2 expert gearing, but also shows them dying to the beam.

Champion of Telara

Ran it to get the completion achievement.

No reason that I can see to go back and run it again....just like all the other dungeons.

Trion really needs to put something of substance in the game that offers players some form of progression outside of raiding. Master dungeon should have been something people would want/need to run several times. I know I am finding less and less reason to log on anymore which is unfortunate because game mechanic wise I love Rift. Just not enough things to challenge ones knowledge of those game mechanics.

Champion of Telara

It's actually got some decent drops. A great way for warriors to snag rT1 rogue drops (nice dagger, ring, neck). Some good filler chain tanking pieces for the cleric who spends all their marks on DPS/Healing items. There's a couple good weapons in there as well including one of the best cleric tanking maces pre-HK, an excellent mage staff with a damage proc, and more.

Some of these kinds of drops are lacking or few and far between in raids. Most of what I've seen drop would be great for my alt, which I don't have time to get in raids. Another aspect rarely considered by those who focus on only one character. It definitely helps bridge the gap with your alts. Plus, there are few gems mixed in that are BoE - which makes for a great substitute method of generating cash.

I disagree that this instance is really hard at all. The only encounter that really challenges an under-geared group is Scarn. Even Glubmuk can be done with T2 geared DPS, it's just much more exciting. I've done DDm in under an hour. Once your group knows how the encounters work, they are simple.

I like the new master mode dungeon difficulites, they are fun to run, scarn especially, its nice to see managing heat index back . They remind me a lot of the old t2s. I wouldn't say they are t1 raiding difficulty though, and I'd prefer they didn't overwrite more of t1 raiding itemization, but then again maybe I'm thinking too much of what t1 raiding used to be before they got nerfed into what they are today. I mean even aleria got nerfed...
    Last edited by Inixia; 10-10-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Its just like vanilla DD in T1 gear.... pretty easy and you get 5 marks for a 5 man.
    Last edited by Blays; 10-10-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Rift Chaser

I've tried mmDD twice now, once in a full PUG in T2 gear (didn't have the DPS or heals to beat Gedlo), and once with 4/5 guildies who wiped to Scarn 3-4 times. I tanked with full T2 gear both times and didn't have much of an issue with that. Overall first run took 3+ hours and second took over an hour. I received no marks either time. I've received 3 upgrades that didn't seem too much like upgrades (seemed more like +2 dex/str/end). Overall I think that the dungeon is about on par with the difficult that it should be, but marks should drop off each boss and gear should be a little better (maybe Scarn's drops are already).

Ascendant

its easier than the original T2s. boring. I wish they had made a 5 man that was a challenge.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Falsedemise View Post
    I've tried mmDD twice now, once in a full PUG in T2 gear (didn't have the DPS or heals to beat Gedlo), and once with 4/5 guildies who wiped to Scarn 3-4 times. I tanked with full T2 gear both times and didn't have much of an issue with that. Overall first run took 3+ hours and second took over an hour. I received no marks either time. I've received 3 upgrades that didn't seem too much like upgrades (seemed more like +2 dex/str/end). Overall I think that the dungeon is about on par with the difficult that it should be, but marks should drop off each boss and gear should be a little better (maybe Scarn's drops are already).
    Oh, and the second group was in full R1 gear (and still having trouble with Scarn)

The thing that got me the most the first time I did DD master is the damage. I mean wtf? I was fully t1 raid geared tank (rogue) and wow... 1.2-1.8k damage PER HIT? I did this with a chloro healer of course but still t2 geared chloro would have absolutely no trouble keeping me up on ANY t2's, and that I mean solo healing; that's if he/she knows how to properly heal of course. But I went with a t1' raid geared chloro, and it had took 2 chloros so they can keep me up. That's just insane for a 5man. (party comp: 1 rogue tank/dps [me], warrior tank/dps, rogue dps, 2 mage heal/dps)

the warrior, who was t2 geared, well... lets just say that he actually did far worse than I did (idk if he had the right spec or not)

I just think they need to nerf the damage a bit on the trash.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Falsedemise View Post
    Oh, and the second group was in full R1 gear (and still having trouble with Scarn)
    ??? Scarn master mode is far easier than the original version..

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    ??? Scarn master mode is far easier than the original version..
    okay lets be honest. MDD Scarn fight is not easier than the original. Some just love to talk a good game.

MDD takes tactics and people playing well together. The ability to not stand in stuff that hurts you, a tank that can position correctly, and dps that can actually dps. It is a 'mini raid' you can run with 5 friends, who enjoy a challenge. If you walk in 'blind' like you should, you will wipe many times, while in the learning curve.

Scarn is not easy, and group make up is key. Ill give you the 'hint' to make it easier, for those that are struggling.

3) DPS and they better be all over 1000 dps single target self buffed on a dummy.
    1) healer. Cleric prefered with great AOE healing ability.
    1) tank (doesnt matter which class) positioning and being on the ball is the key.

NO PETS! If you rely on a pet for your dps, dismiss it immediatly when 'air phase' starts. they get in the ground aoe and spawn unwanted adds, and raise the heat index. Resummon when he lands.

as soon as a fire breath lands, all dps kills adds to keep from spreading. Hardest part, not getting hit by 2nd or 3rd fire breath and dying, while killing adds.

Tank needs to have position perfect. Scarns nose needs to be in the wall to prevent unwanted 'fires' and adds to deal with, while he is in 'ground phase'. I have found the best spot to be on the right side of the room. if scarn is the 12'o'clock on the watch face, you are tanking him at 3 0'clock, with his nose barried in the wall.

The most frustrating part of the fight is dps dying in air phase because they catch a fire breath. Heat index rises too high for healer to keep up with and the party wipes from adds, torching the room.

If you have good dps and people pay attention. You will take scarn down in 2 air phases. He stays grounded at 10%.

That was my favorite and frustrating fight. Scarn @ 15% wipe...... really sucks to do over.

Your first time through, have a couple folks with medics available. you will wipe..

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Piece of Shoe View Post
    I'm trying to understand the point of mmDD. As far as I can determine it doesn't fit in the instance progression very well. Having done it a few time for the novelty I can't think of a reason to go back in.

This instance is much harder than DH and GP in my opinion. I think it's harder mechanically than GSB. The loot is comparable to those raid instances but you get much fewer Marks. The real horrific failure is it isn't in the LFG tool so getting a group is a pita. On Dayblind DH GP GSB pugs are common place. The past few pugs, from raid forming to done, took less than an hour for DH and GP. MmDD takes much longer. Probably three times as long factoring in recruitment.

So :

Less Marks
    Marks only if you complete (by no means a certainty)
    Much longer
    Harder to find a group
    More difficult. Not sure a full T2 only party would get through.

New Scarn is fun but without LFG or better loot I just can't justify the effort.

BTW for context , in case it matters, I completed mmDD four times PUGging each time. Twice tanking with full R1 warrior. Twice with HK weaponed and some R2 Mage.
    One of my guildies got the rapid assault achievement when we went to DDm the second time. Have seen very nice loot drop... on par with RoS stuff. I could use a nice hit ring with dex/crit myself, which i've seen and lost the roll on. Other than that my character is set. I still like DDm a lot more than any of the other dungeons around though.. it's what a t2 used to be when i was sneaking in with 90 hit and lots of t1 blues
    Looking forward to DSMm and hope it isn't held off until 1.6 and counted as new content because it was slated to be released with 1.5 originally and being a warrior, i have seen some ridiculously lazy dev work

Plane Touched

No one can actually make the claim that mmDD is easier than the original T2 version unless they are running mmDD in their crappy t1 gear from 6 months ago that they ran prenerf DD in.

Before t2s were nerfed, we were running them in t1 gear. Maybe some people had some t2 gear, but remember back then the t2 gear wasn't nearly as good as it is now.

Now people are running through instances with t3 gear/r8 gear/ weapons and saying "LOLOLOL TRION YOU SUCK THIS IS EZMODE"

prenerf t2s would be ezmode with the level of gear people have now as well. Hell, they weren't all that difficult back then either, but for our gear level they were quite tough yes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast