+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to go after Zilas/Matron

Rift Disciple

Default Where to go after Zilas/Matron

Hello fellow raiders,

I'm the MT and raid leader for my guild, Vendetta on Deepstrike.

With the nerf to Zilas (can't say I'm too sad about less hp on a craptastic RNG fight), we're at 4/11 tonight.

I know it was mentioned in another thread, but with the changes to HK in the last couple patches was wondering what's the pro/cons of going to Grug, Rune King, or Sicaron.

Without having much of the HK gear, what would be our best bet in terms of straight-forward mechanics without relying too heavily on pushing high raid dps?

Thank you in advance for any insight.
    GM Rift Vendetta -- WarriorTank
    4/4 Dragons Bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Damned if I do, damned if I don't. I guess I'll be damned and do instead of damned and don't.

Shadowlander

Afaik both grug and sicaron are a dps race and u mentioned that ur guild doesn't have much HK gear yet.
    I would suggest to give runeking and the prince a try, with all the latest nerfs he became quite easy boss in HK.

I'd probably suggest going to Sicaron provided you have two non-rogue tanks. It really depends what your raid is best at I guess. I think Grugonim is pretty straightforward now as well with all the nerfs.

Sicaron: You need a purge rotation of 4-5 players (you can do it with 3, but best to have backups while learning), 5-6 healers who are capable of cleansing quickly and outputting fast burst healing on tanks during breaths, and DPS running optimal single-target specs. You also probably want 1 person coordinating the raid's placement of the contract idols.

Grugonim: Mostly a raid positioning check. The tanks have the most to learn on this fight. This is a very melee friendly encounter, not so good for mages, and there aren't too many mechanics to learn. With the recent nerfs, the enrage timer should not be a huge concern.

Molinar: A lot of mechanics to learn. Need a mage stacked with as much HP as possible to tank Dollin. Not melee friendly - bring mages. You need players capable of interrupting and reacting to AoE and reflect shields, and coordinated DPS to keep king/prince within the HP bounds. You also need plenty of AoE healing (i.e. bring 2 senticars).
    Spence <Legit>

Shadowlander

Get the vladmal free loot, then try Molinar.
    Then try Sicaron. If your dps and purge can handle him, move on to Grugonim.

We went Zilas > Prime > Matron > Sicaron.

Now working on Grug. Can get him to first tower phase consistently now, kill should be soon.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Heelim
    Violent Impact
    Keenblade - Defiant

Sicaron for sure.

If your crystal placement is good and people don't panic when they get the debuff... you'll down him. Especially now that he's had a HP debuff... leaves a little more margin for error on the crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    Sicaron for sure.

If your crystal placement is good and people don't panic when they get the debuff... you'll down him. Especially now that he's had a HP debuff... leaves a little more margin for error on the crystals.
    You have less time once the contract goes red to place them we found last night. On the far corner ones, we had people run out early even.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Heelim
    Violent Impact
    Keenblade - Defiant

Soulwalker

So, if you have a raid that tends toward the melee heavy side, and has difficulty picking up a lot of new mechanics at once, Grugonim is a better option than Rune King?

Both seem severely nerfed, multiple times, so neither should really be an issue, but current Rune King does seem like it would take longer to learn than current Grugonim.

Rift Disciple

Sigh.. yea we have excellent melee dps and mages are practically non-existant or not consistent (leave early or don't show up).

Sounds like Grug is the way to go, least till our dps gets more HK weapons.

Any changes to Grug's strat with the last patch then or is:
    http://www.riftstrats.com/hammerknel...ress/grugonim/

From Rift Strats still a good guide?
    4/4 Dragons Bound
    Damned if I do, damned if I don't. I guess I'll be damned and do instead of damned and don't.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Loit View Post
    Sigh.. yea we have excellent melee dps and mages are practically non-existant or not consistent (leave early or don't show up).

Sounds like Grug is the way to go, least till our dps gets more HK weapons.

Any changes to Grug's strat with the last patch then or is:
    http://www.riftstrats.com/hammerknel...ress/grugonim/

From Rift Strats still a good guide?
    Pretty much. The guide hits on all the major points. The biggest thing about Grugonim is that some mechanics cannot be called out in Vent. Every single person has to watch his cast bar after the breath to see if it's corrosive bile (where you wait for the end of the cast) or rampant decay (where you must move IMMEDIATELY or you die). It will take a lot of personal responsibility and awareness.

Make sure your archon throws up power drain before each knockback, and if people still die due to stupid stuff like adds+knockback, you can have everyone run 30m+ away after each idol phase where health is reduced.

Sicaron. Its the logical next step in testing the raid, and while its a dps check, its less of a challenge then Grug or King imo. Sicaron just requires rock solid purgers and a raid force that isnt "carrying" to many poor players.

Rift Disciple

What's the challenge on Gruginom?

Everything I've seen/read seems pretty straightforward.. few mechanics other then a dance with raid awareness sub 50% (depending on which breath) and moving together as a group.

Is there something I'm missing that I need to be aware of or suggestions that aren't covered by riftstrats?
    4/4 Dragons Bound

Everything I've seen/read seems pretty straightforward.. few mechanics other then a dance with raid awareness sub 50% (depending on which breath) and moving together as a group.

Is there something I'm missing that I need to be aware of or suggestions that aren't covered by riftstrats?
    Its very unforgivable if someone moves late/early in addition to the slow that people get from adds. So you need 20ppl moving at the same time, which is tough sometimes with lag and reaction times. If you normally wait to be told to move/react/do-something, then you will die
    Last edited by Quietmode; 09-23-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Cleric Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Quietmode View Post
    Its very unforgivable if someone moves late/early in addition to the slow that people get from adds. So you need 20ppl moving at the same time, which is tough sometimes with lag and reaction times. If you normally wait to be told to move/react/do-something, then you will die
    ^this

Sicaron is more on the "individual" being able to handle contracts, purges, and whatnot..... whereas Grug is more on the "raid" working as a single unit at times in both reaction and movement. This can be very tough for guilds, especially with the added possibility of lag, mouse bugs, and the like.

Ascendant

The raid awareness/reaction time you need is pretty hefty, and the skill can't be called out on vent. Every single raider needs to be watching Grug's cast bar for rampant decay/corrosive bile. If someone moves too soon on bile , they'll spawn the poison on other people and wipe you. If someone's reaction speed is too slow for rampant decay (later in the fight when it could be either skill) they will die.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast