+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Failing on Zilas

Rift Disciple

Default Failing on Zilas

So we have wiped about 40 times on Zilas over the course of about 2 and a half nights. We have had a lot of personnel changes over the course of those attempts. I was hoping you guys could look over our strat and give some pointers.

Magi team - 1 warrior with a snare, 6 casters including a inquisicar.

1 Mage on each side responsible for spirits and crystal. The magi team also assists with burning spirits.

1 MT and 1 OT. 1 dps warrior responsible for interrupts on imps. We also use an AOE silence during lasers but sometimes the imp get a heal off as soon as the laser phase ends.

2 warden/sentinal healers, 1 inquisicar.

Cleave team is rather large and made up of mostly dps warriors, rogues and 1 cleric.

We seem to have too many spirit volleys get off, especially dyring the laser. We burn some magi on the platforms but some we dps to 30% and let them go.

We seem to have some issues with timing later in the fight with lasers / Magi.

I wonder if we are allocating our resources properly. Would it make sense to set 5 ranged on each side to take care of the spirits amd magi on that side (them back to zilas).

One of our weaknesses is changing strats on the fly mid raid so I am hoping to fine tune this thing beforewe spend another night wiping with a sub par strat.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Telaran

are you single/double thingie (hitting that thing to snare them, just woke up cant think of hte name) the magus during the laser phase to keep them on that lil square and after the laser phase just put every dps on them?

Prophet of Telara

Main thing is just timing. You can play with the comp all you want, but you have to know, instantly, whether you should chase a magus or not, which one you should go for when there's 2 up, and when to call the cleave team off to burn a magus who's gotten too close. Don't keep changing your group's composition to deal with maguses, if you can kill them reliably up to a certain point, you can kill them reliably past that point. I will say that we usually have a rogue on each side to deal with the spirits and click the crystals, with a mage/cleric backing them up as needed.

Also, you can't snare the maguses, soooo dunno why your warrior's trying.
    Last edited by MrFunsocks; 09-09-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Plane Touched

It is best to assign all melee to the maguses and all ranged to the spirits. With your strat if you get a magus and a spirit at the same time it will be gg. Also the offtank should be able to handle all interrupts so you don't need to waste a dps on that. Just assign 1 cleric with a ranged silence to watch imps on the laser part. We also keep 2 sabdancers and 1 cab in the middle at all times but this is not needed.

Rift Disciple

With our raid we do it a little different and has been working good. Our raid makeup is:

1 Warrior Tank
    1 Cleric OT
    1 Cleric MT Heals
    1 Cleric Raid Heals
    1 Chloro Raid Heals
    1 Bard
    1 Archon
    1 Warrior on imp interupt duty

2 Mages per side for Spirits/Stunning/Assisting on Magi if nothin up on their side.
    4 Warriors + 1 Cleric as Magi team
    3 Sabo Rogues on cleave team.

The Sabos rogues + the interupting warriors cleaving keeps the middle clean for the most part (sabs should be pullign 2.5k+ on this fight). Our warrior pulled ~2k.

We double stun the Magi on the platform for the most part (Sometimes during laser only single stun).
    Boric ~ Rogue

Rift Disciple

Not sure if is the best way (probably not) but it works for us.

We have always on center the MT (cleric) and OT (warrior), plus another warrior dps to interrupt Imps (sometimes we might add a dedicated aoe player here too). Two rogues are in charge on the spirits (they move from one side to the other as needed), the rest of the raid kills magi and then back to zilas and adds in the middle. A couple of mages with 0 point dom (neural prod have instant cast and no travel time) do the stasis crystals.

Post 20% we usually try to kill the add that disable the stasis crystal to be able to stun magi (magi kill team dps the add, he has only 20 k hp).
    Last edited by Mneme; 09-09-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Your cleave team is way too big, and your mage **** team is way too small. I'm not going to say much more than that other than you will never defeat Zilas with that few people on Magi, and that many people on cleaves.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post
    Main thing is just timing. You can play with the comp all you want, but you have to know, instantly, whether you should chase a magus or not, which one you should go for when there's 2 up, and when to call the cleave team off to burn a magus who's gotten too close. Don't keep changing your group's composition to deal with maguses, if you can kill them reliably up to a certain point, you can kill them reliably past that point. I will say that we usually have a rogue on each side to deal with the spirits and click the crystals, with a mage/cleric backing them up as needed.

We double stun them with the crystal but yes, there is 1 warrior ability that can slow or snare them. I do not know what it is and it will probably be patched but I am 100% sure there is 1 cc that works.

Thing is, we never chase the magi up top. We only dps them with ranged and that 1 warrior(he obviously goes up to the crystal area) from the lower platform. We will send the ranged down the runway if they got past the crystal without getting their health down enough. This seems to happen when we get a magi that is not yet at the platform when the laser phase begins. I think we need to get better at stunning them while running around.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    Your cleave team is way too big, and your mage **** team is way too small. I'm not going to say much more than that other than you will never defeat Zilas with that few people on Magi, and that many people on cleaves.
    Thank you. I had a feeling about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post

Earth Burst snares things it shouldn't such as magus's and arcane porters on Inquisitor Garau. Still surprised it hasn't been fixed.
    Last edited by Fusion; 09-09-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Riftstrats.com

But i beleive we have 2 ppl on magi duty, covering both sides. And any available dps get on the magi ASAP. The OT/MT handle the interrupts. Otherwise ppl cleave on boss

Cleric Tank

Ascendant

I'd suggest having your top three aoe dps on the boss/cleave team full time. (except when pulled to burn the OMFG MAGUS INC BRIDGE). These can be any class (cabalists, sabdancer, a few warrior specs, mages). Whoever pulls your best AOE dps, put them on the boss full time to AOE adds. It's probably going to be skill based at that point in your raid. Subpar dps on the boss/cleaves mean everything else is harder. Imps get more heals, butchers stay up longer and decrease total raid damage, etc.

All ranged should be turning and blowing up banshees as they spawn. You need an interrupter assigned to them full time. If ranged dps is too slow, consider assigning two interrupters. One left, one right.

Also you can blink or teleport through the zilas laser beam to get an interrupt or kick a heal. Do not try to charge through. Riftwalk, flicker, rogue blinks all work.

The laser goes about a full 360 + another quarter of a turn from where it starts beaming. So if your laser beam appears at 6 o'clock, your raid starts right behind it at 5 o'clock. You only have to run until 9 o'clock then you can stop moving and DPS ****. Melee can hit from just outside of the middle circle. This is especially helpful during magus + laser phases. Never exit the middle platform during a laser or you die.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by daarknight View Post
    So we have wiped about 40 times on Zilas over the course of about 2 and a half nights. We have had a lot of personnel changes over the course of those attempts. I was hoping you guys could look over our strat and give some pointers.

Magi team - 1 warrior with a snare, 6 casters including a inquisicar.

1 Mage on each side responsible for spirits and crystal. The magi team also assists with burning spirits.

1 MT and 1 OT. 1 dps warrior responsible for interrupts on imps. We also use an AOE silence during lasers but sometimes the imp get a heal off as soon as the laser phase ends.

2 warden/sentinal healers, 1 inquisicar.

Cleave team is rather large and made up of mostly dps warriors, rogues and 1 cleric.

We seem to have too many spirit volleys get off, especially dyring the laser. We burn some magi on the platforms but some we dps to 30% and let them go.

We seem to have some issues with timing later in the fight with lasers / Magi.

I wonder if we are allocating our resources properly. Would it make sense to set 5 ranged on each side to take care of the spirits amd magi on that side (them back to zilas).

One of our weaknesses is changing strats on the fly mid raid so I am hoping to fine tune this thing beforewe spend another night wiping with a sub par strat.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Couple things...you do mention sometimes you leave the magus at 30% or sometimes kill them at platform, if you want to maximize your use of DPS you should determine the % that DoTs will either kill the Magus or get it down to some insignificant amount like 5%, that way your DPS can be back on Zilas immediately and not overkill the Magus. We use all melee on the Magus personally, but it really shouldn't matter as long as you're consistently able to kill them. You didn't mention what is wiping you, obviously its going to be either magus or the tank dying, but what is happening to cause that to happen?

Spirit Volley should NEVER go off, assign someone with range interrupt to put them on focus target, turn and interrupt on volley if one is going to go off before they die. Also, I wouldn't rely solely on aoe silence for preventing cede spirit during beam...still have someone kicking the imps.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    Couple things...you do mention sometimes you leave the magus at 30% or sometimes kill them at platform, if you want to maximize your use of DPS you should determine the % that DoTs will either kill the Magus or get it down to some insignificant amount like 5%, that way your DPS can be back on Zilas immediately and not overkill the Magus. We use all melee on the Magus personally, but it really shouldn't matter as long as you're consistently able to kill them. You didn't mention what is wiping you, obviously its going to be either magus or the tank dying, but what is happening to cause that to happen?

Spirit Volley should NEVER go off, assign someone with range interrupt to put them on focus target, turn and interrupt on volley if one is going to go off before they die. Also, I wouldn't rely solely on aoe silence for preventing cede spirit during beam...still have someone kicking the imps.
    2 things wipe the raid and it is always during or just after the laser. It is either multiple volleys going off and dropping a couple people which starts putting us behind or else it is a couple magi right before / during the laser. 1 of the magi ends up getting through at very high health so we send people to chase the incoming magi down the ramp and we fall behind on a new magi spawn. Usually we end up wiping within 30 seconds of that.

We use 2 mages (1 on each side) assigned to burn / interrupt spirits as well as hit the crsystal. It sounds to me that we need to re-evaluate that. Looks like we also need to reduce the size of our cleave team and get more attention to the spirits. Our strat is great for the first 60% and we get there very quick due to the size of our cleave team but the lack of attention/execution to the outside is really hurting us during laser.

RIFT Guide Writer

Zilas is one of those fights that at first look difficult and messy, then you kill it once and think "that was easy, why didn't we just do that in the first place". If spirits are your problem them have more ranged ready to kill/interrupt them, if magi are the problem then put more people on them. Those two are the only things that wipe the raid so it's actually very simple and you have already correctly figured that out. Basically you kill it when raid members stop caring how high dps they parse and instead take care of the important threats first.

We use 3 sabdancers and one cabalist on cleaveteam with sabdancers also responsible for interrupting the imps, all the rest kill spirits/magi first and when there are none then dps Zilas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast