+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A message to people who are scared of tanking

Rift Chaser

Default A message to people who are scared of tanking

DONT BE!

I have been tanking for the past 2 weeks in this game. So far i have tanked EVERY SINGLE DUNGEON without reading a guide or asking any of the party members for advice. This includes all of the T2 and T1 dungeon bosses. For most of the bosses, the tank doesnt need a guide because the tank will just be standing in one spot. The healers and the DPS are the ones who need to be aware of the individual boss mechanics.

Tanking in this game is super easy and with the cross server LFG and server transfer, you dont need to be scared about being forever labeled a bad tank. At this point Im not even embarrassed or feel bad when the whole group wipes because it DOES NOT MATTER. I know that I will still have instant queues for whenever I am ready to run another dungeon.

and finally, if someone is commenting on your bad tanking you can just ignore them. they are stuck with you as a tank because they have been waiting an hour or more to get a group for the dungeon. You can learn as you go in the dungeons without repercussions. However, I do think that most people in the groups ive played for T1&T2 are surprised when the achievement for completing that expert dungeon pops up at the end because I do really well even without prior experience on the dungeons.

Also, with some healrs I feel invincible and with others I feel like im made out of paper. if you are having trouble taking the damage on some boss fights then it is probably just a bad healer and not your own fault.

That post contains so much useful and true information, it should be stickied.
    Last edited by Zyphxion; 09-08-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Zyph - <SICK> - Briarcliff - 50 - Kelari Male - Cleric
    Maerina - <SICK> - Briarcliff - 26 - Bahmi Female - Warrior
    Deneret - Unguilded - Briarcliff - 31 - Dwarf Female - Rogue
    Mihli - Unguilded - Briarcliff - 26 - Dwarf Female- Mage

Banned

I don't like tanking not because I'm scared but because:

1) I'm a rogue. So as soon as I get in there everyone knows it's going to be slow going unless I'm geared two levels above the content. (For instance I am Technically 'Raid Ready' with over 150 toughness and decent gear, so I can tank T1 dungeons, but in a T2 it's a toss up if I get a good healer or not).

2) You are treated like dirt. Going too fast, your an idiot. Going too slow, You're and idiot. Not skipping trash, your an idiot,. Skipping trash, you're an idiot. DPS aggros a mob, You're and idiot. Not pulling the way they saw the last tank do it, You're an idiot . . . you get the idea by now I'm sure.

The only time I will queue as tank these days is if I've spent longer than 30 minutes in the DPS queue and I just want to get something done. Edit: Or it's for people I know already.
    Last edited by Traciatim; 09-08-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Sword of Telara

"At this point Im not even embarrassed or feel bad when the whole group wipes because it DOES NOT MATTER. I know that I will still have instant queues for whenever I am ready to run another dungeon."

so for the dps who spent a half hour waiting in que who were lucky enough to get you as their tank then have you wipe the group, not care at all and prance off to another dungeon because you know you can insta que I guess your thread is just a giant EFF-U.

right back at you buddy

"a message to those are scared of tanking: dont be!!! just be horrible at it , waste others time and not care, you can still insta que!!!"
    Last edited by Chovie; 09-08-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post

2) You are treated like dirt. Going too fast, your an idiot. Going too slow, You're and idiot. Not skipping trash, your an idiot,. Skipping trash, you're an idiot. DPS aggros a mob, You're and idiot. Not pulling the way they saw the last tank do it, You're an idiot . . . you get the idea by now I'm sure.
    This. this is one of the reason why I don't tank at all. The main reason for me not to be a tank is because it just not my playstyle. tried it once and it is fun but still don't feel like it.

Add to that, Tank is a thankless job. Same for being a healer. It would be nice to have for those people who been a elitest dps to try on tank and healer to see how our job work so hard to keep them alive. And of course, take on the support role and try to understand what the support role is doing for the group.

Plane Touched

Stand in one place?

What's your in game name?

ITT no one realizes OP is trolling
    Last edited by Zyphxion; 09-08-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Zyph - <SICK> - Briarcliff - 50 - Kelari Male - Cleric
    Maerina - <SICK> - Briarcliff - 26 - Bahmi Female - Warrior
    Deneret - Unguilded - Briarcliff - 31 - Dwarf Female - Rogue
    Mihli - Unguilded - Briarcliff - 26 - Dwarf Female- Mage

Warrior tanking is this easy, seriously (made a warrior alt during the double xp thing). I used to tank T2s as a rogue and it was BRUTAL.
    "All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ"

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphxion View Post
    ITT no one realizes OP is trolling
    suspected he might be but with some of the tanks ive ran into lately....its a toss up.
    Last edited by Chovie; 09-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chovie View Post
    suspected he might be but with some of the tanks ive ran into lately....its a toss up.
    It's not far off, except that you need to know the pulls ahead of time. Boss mechanics are pretty easy: face it away from group, don't stand in **** and look out for emotes.
    "All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ"

I think it also has to do with it not being so kind to new comers for tanking overall. We had a new 50 join our guild and we asked if hed mind tanking and he said he'd rather not. We kindly asked why out of curiosity and he was a person who was afraid to fail and as it was hard for him to get groups leveling to try tanking(this was before the Xshard LFG) he never got to really do it. We offered him a chance to try it and let him know we would help him along the way if we saw any problems and whatnot. He stumbled a few times but it wasn't anything major and he enjoyed tanking a lot and did it for us frequently afterward.

I think there are a good number of people in that boat and unfortunately they either had a terrible experience when they tried it or they hadn't really had a chance to learn tanking as they progressed leading to a pool of potential tanks that feel it's too late to learn and starting over in lower dungeons without the assistance of a guild would be too much trouble.

"Creation is a paradox. It hatches from its opposite."—Olka, Mistmeadow witch
    CGhub Portfolio | My Sketchbook | RIFT related sketches and art | Rift Gear and wardrobe concept sketches

Default Please don't be this tank

I would rather there are 3 tanks all around than to have this attitude about tanking. It is irresponsible, selfish, and has no place for a true tank.

There is bad DPS, there are bad healers, and there are bad tanks.

I don't care how fast my queues are for tanking I still take it personal when we wipe. No it is not always my fault but still I always examine if I could of prevented it regardless of where it started.

You know years ago (many) the reason I wanted to tank is I saw one guy doing an amazing job at it. I learned from him followed him and became one myself.

I absolutely refuse to become some primadonna tank just because the numbers lean my way. A tank is a rewarding experience and lots of fun if you have the mind and skin to do it. Ignore the ******s and DO YOUR JOB RIGHT!!! If they dont like it or feel you are not doing a good job they are welcome to move on but make sure you are in check.

Good luck to the future tanks and true dont be scared but not because of some of the reasons of the OP.
    Warhammer refugee, ASP, Psychobillee, Yoshimoto, Atromos, Mongolian
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelfear View Post
    For too long now the foundation of class change has been to nerf... Warriors have been hit hard with the nerf bat in every single patch now, you want to talk about crutches, you should include them in the epic drop tables of raid dungeons, at this rate we'll need em.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by tebhi View Post
    It's not far off, except that you need to know the pulls ahead of time. Boss mechanics are pretty easy: face it away from group, don't stand in **** and look out for emotes.
    there are no pulls to know in this game.

I only get comments on the pace if I am going to fast. some healers are really bad so they constantly want to take breaks. if this happens then I just start spamming the ready check throughout the instance.

Plane Touched

Two things:

First, I think we need a thread called "A message to tanks who are scared of people".

Second, and I don't mean this to be flippant, but if it's so easy, and so fun, and nothing to be scared of, then why isn't everyone doing it? Granted, that's not really the point, because simply by the numbers, even if half the people were tanking, you'd still expect a wait for DPS because those are 3 spots to fill (my favorite thing to do is be a Bard. I have other alts that are maxed crafting, but other classes, and sadly I'm not interested in playing them at all ... other than to craft awesome things for my Bard ... but now I'm learning that 'support' seems to be a dirty word, so I may just stop going to dungeons and loiter around zone events and rifts and crafting rifts - yes I make and bring lures - and have that be my social experience).

Ok...back on focus...

My Non-Rift Experience
    Now, I tanked for friends in WoW in 2010. I had been away from the game since early 2007, and thought it would be fun to have 'one last hurrah'. All my friends were still playing it, and having moved away, it was really my only opportunity to get to spend some time with them. I had a Pally tank (before they went from the happy 31 point tree down to 1 point trees), and had a blast. It was a bit daunting at first, but being with friends, the only PuG spot we had to fill was the healer, and 95% of the time (made up and hyperbole, but speaks to the perception of my experience) that person was awesome and fun.

I went through 3 phases:

Phase 1: Intimidation

It was scary at first, the responsibility. I felt really bad when things went wrong as I was learning how to prioritize. Sometimes you can't save everyone in a fight. Sometimes a won fight is success even if dies. I specifically remember coming up with strategies to handle those groups of 4 on the ramp up to the tunnel in ... uh...dang, I don't remember the name of the dungeon anymore. Or the hardest dungeon, forget it's name too, but the 2 waves of fights where you have to pack in the corner. That took me awhile to learn all that. I listened to everyone, soaked it up like a sponge. Got to learn what to expect from the other classes and after seeing a lot of good folks, could tell when people were under-performing a little, and adjust my speed accordingly.

Phase 2: Know-It-All

Then I was a plain jerk. It was all about me. "Well if you don't like it, I'll just leave, I'm the tank, you should be thankful I'm here!"

That was a really, really bad phase. Luckily it didn't last very long, and someone was kind enough point out I had become the monster I hated so much. There isn't any more to be said about that.

Phase 3: It's a Game

Then I was back on track. I had figured most things out, I didn't know everything, I was still learning things from people. Some people who had tanked, some people who had 'never' tanked, but had watched others and had fun tricks to try, and I tried them, and sometimes they worked, and sometimes they failed, but it was all pretty fun. I think in the end, the only people I 'really' made mad any more were people in a hurry, but it was 'always' a democracy. In dungeons where there were 'short runs' to get the frost and skips some things, I always asked for a 'vote'. I was the tie breaker, and often times if it was a tie, I'd side with the people in a hurry, and tell the other 2 I'd queue again with them to pick up 2 more PUGs to do a long run. Queuing had very little stress any more, I put as much thought into it as I would going to run some dailies for faction, or going to Wintergrasp (that's a whole other topic, I'd love WG in Rift, I'd be PvPing...PvP Rifts are an attempt at that, but the ones I've joined seem to be largely uncontested).

So, I learned how to tank in a game. It was a lot of fun, and quite frankly typing all that out was a bit cathartic, in that it makes me a bit more interested in maybe giving it another try. But honestly, the starting part is a bit overwhelming. I had the benefit of some real life friends around to help me get started with little rejection and drama. I'm completely alone in this game. For better or worse, I don't really count people I meet in games as 'friends'. Maybe that sounds horrible, I don't know. A friend to me is someone I meet in real life through whatever cosmic forces make us cross paths and find something in common. Folks I meet in the game are about like someone you might exchange a few words with bowling or something. You are both there bowling, so you have that in common. You throw a few 'nice pick ups' there way, maybe some discussions about each other's balls (yes, it's impossible to talk about bowling without innuendo, sorry ), then you leave and say 'have a good weekend', and often times you never see them again. Some times you do, and exchange a few more words, but they are still "that girl at bowling", but they aren't your friend.

And that's all that you folks are that I meet in the game - the people at Rift. I mean that in the nicest possible way, but you aren't my friends. Just like 80% (<-more hyperbole) of people's Facebook friends aren't their friends (which is part of the reason I don't 'the Facebook').

Well damn, I forgot what point I was trying to make.

Uhm. Don't talk to strangers! Brush your teeth! Use soap!

And yes, tanking can be fun, but I 'still' think if it were that awesome, we wouldn't need a commercial for it.

And I do really love just being a full Bard in this game

Rift Chaser

I have never wiped a group on a boss even when I had never fought it before. it is almost always the healer who wipes the group.

IF you ahve never tanked before you will be shocked if you read the tanking strategies for t1 & t2 bosses. 90% of the fights, the tank just faces the boss away from the group or moves out of AOE damage ( which is easy to see on the ground).

and the erason that wipes dont matter is because there is not a penalty for wipes in this game. you get a SMAL SMALL SAMLL soul heal cost but money is so easy in this game that it is irrelevant. Fear of wipes is a leftover relic from harder games.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast