+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hammerknell tank comparison / physical mitigation

Telaran

Default Hammerknell tank comparison / physical mitigation

Hi,

I'm a bit curious what kind of tank would be the best for T4 encounters with heavy physical damage like Murdantix. I'm mostly interested in a comparison between warriors and clerics. I'm not very familiar with tanking in general, and especially I don't know all the warrior tanking specs. I play a healing cleric in MS, but my tanking gear is about HK ready. What I got so far is:

*Warriors (Voidknights)
    -have higher armor and so about 8% more mitigation from it
    -have passive 20% mitigation from talents

*Clerics (Justicar, Sham)
    -seem to have higher dodge/parry/block chances
    -have less passive mitigation from talents

How does physical mitigation on the two different tank types scale with raidbuffs and gear? Do clerics have higher physical mitigation or are the warriors superior in this? I know that clerics gain mitigation from most buffs and consumables, no matter if they add strenght, dex, wisdom, SP or whatever.

It would be cool if any experienced HK raider would enlighten me.

Thanks

well my tank has me (cleric) vs warrior tank vs rogue tank all 3 are equally geared in T1 raid gear, no relics or HK gear

we tested on soulrender zilas (physical damage fight)

the warrior tank got hit for less damage on average then the cleric tank BUT the cleric tank took less damage per second because of avoidances. and the rogue got WTFpwned

cleric damage taken: 700 dps, 18% of attacks dodged 18% of attacks parried, average hit for 1.9k
    warrior damage taken: 856 dps, 10% of attacks dodged 10% of attacks parried, average hit for 1k
    rogue damage taken: 1662 dps, 10% of attacks dodged 10% of attacks parried, average hit for 3.7k (LOL)

http://www.raidrifts.com/report/view/1bpfgsg72g/

the last 3 attempts were comparing the tanks
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 09-04-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    cleric damage taken: 700 dps, 18% of attacks dodged 18% of attacks parried, average hit for 1.9k
    warrior damage taken: 856 dps, 10% of attacks dodged 10% of attacks parried, average hit for 1k
    rogue damage taken: 1662 dps, 10% of attacks dodged 10% of attacks parried, average hit for 3.7k (LOL)
    This is a problem Trion, make with the fixes please. Here are some ideas.

You may want to check those avoidance numbers again. My rogue has closer to 22% dodge and 10% parry. I know that both other tanks (warrior/cleric) have more overall avoidance than me though.
    Last edited by Paikis; 09-04-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Ascendant

That could be a spec thing. If your Riftstalker build was RS/BD/RNG and Redcrux's guildie's was RS/BRD/RNG that'd explain the dodge difference (+10% from 8 BD).

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    That could be a spec thing. If your Riftstalker build was RS/BD/RNG and Redcrux's guildie's was RS/BRD/RNG that'd explain the dodge difference (+10% from 8 BD).
    It could be. Personally I would never tank with bard, but thats just me I guess.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Sicaron, warrior, offtank, each breath tick hits for only 682 dmg...

So, uhm, ye, please boost the boss?

Warrior tank > All

And its not even close. Clerics can kinda compete in physical mitigation but get destroyed in magical when compared to wars. Then you add the utility wars bring especially SO and its a no brainer.

Rogues... well yea nothing needs to be said that hasnt been send in dozens of threads before. Rogue tanks should just be deleted cause they are not even remotely close to the vincinity of the sector of the general area of competativness. They are a complete joke.
    GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Athux View Post
    Warrior tank > All

And its not even close. Clerics can kinda compete in physical mitigation but get destroyed in magical when compared to wars. Then you add the utility wars bring especially SO and its a no brainer.
    I agree that Warrior tanks are superior when it comes to magical mitigation. But I do not agree that they bring more utility. A cleric can pop some nice group heals (even more while not tanking in a tank switch fight), that also generate loads of agro, and they have that 100% combat rez.

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    It could be. Personally I would never tank with bard, but thats just me I guess.
    I was indeed using 51 RS / 8 Ranger / 7 Bard. You absolutely have to have the max mitigation/HP build for those fights. Relying on any kind of dodge at all and sacrificing HP will just make you die faster, and the Bard spec lets you maintain a high HP pool while using the must-have armour consumables (thick armour plating and mighty fortified vial). When it comes down to mitigation vs. avoidance on fights with extreme damage I always favour mitigation. RNG has not served me well.

Also I think your real dodge rate will be less than on your stat sheet due to level difference with the boss, or perhaps some other factor. I've seldom fought a boss where my actual avoidance aligned with my apparent avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowbob View Post
    I agree that Warrior tanks are superior when it comes to magical mitigation. But I do not agree that they bring more utility. A cleric can pop some nice group heals (even more while not tanking in a tank switch fight), that also generate loads of agro, and they have that 100% combat rez.
    Warrior agro >>>>>> Cleric agro, and while yes clerics bring some utility they are far behind those of wars. Trickle heals vs SO, SO hands down and it's not even close. Brez vs calls, either or but I say calls. Nothing cleric tanks is unique, nearly all utility war tanks brings is and thats the game changer. So still war >>>>> cleric >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lolrogue
    GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11

Depending on how your cleric is specced, they can gen more aggro from what I've seen, but then we have a pretty pro cleric tank.

I'm not going to argue Cleric vs Warrior tank as many fights are tanked with two tanks, why not have both? You get SO, AoE heals (not triclkle btw, these are solid heals, tell your tank to use a powerstone), battlerez... Cleric + Warrior is a great combo.

Edit: and from what I've seen, rogues are pretty well worthless except for maybe on matron.
    Last edited by tamgros; 09-04-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Qia

Quote Originally Posted by tamgros View Post
    Depending on how your cleric is specced, they can gen more aggro from what I've seen, but then we have a pretty pro cleric tank.

I'm not going to argue Cleric vs Warrior tank as many fights are tanked with two tanks, why not have both? You get SO, AoE heals (not triclkle btw, these are solid heals, tell your tank to use a powerstone), battlerez... Cleric + Warrior is a great combo.

Edit: and from what I've seen, rogues are pretty well worthless except for maybe on matron.
    Special Olympics say Rogue tanks are awesome and can tank all bosses except few last bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Qia View Post
    Special Olympics say Rogue tanks are awesome and can tank all bosses except few last bosses.
    yeh they are pro, except we dont use one, ever.

Free Rift Strats @ rift-mmorpg.com

Qia

Quote Originally Posted by Sharogy View Post
    yeh they are pro, except we dont use one, ever.
    Yesterdays your Rogues said you used Rogue tanks on almost every boss fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Qia View Post
    Yesterdays your Rogues said you used Rogue tanks on almost every boss fight.
    what can i say, either u failed to catch an obvious sarcasm or u got trolled.

Free Rift Strats @ rift-mmorpg.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast