+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matron Bug ?

Rift Disciple

Default Matron Bug ?

Quick question/problem with the Matron fight.

Occasionally, and not always, the Child of Night (little adds) will spawn and instantly kill 1-3 of our dps before snapping back to the tank(s). Again, sometimes they work perfectly, all the adds will spawn and dps the tank, other times our dps die almost instantly when the adds spawn, before they've used ANY AoE abilities.

My understanding of the fight is that adds are supposed to inherit the threat of the tank on Matron, yet sometimes they will completely ignore this.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
    GM Rift Vendetta -- WarriorTank
    4/4 Dragons Bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Damned if I do, damned if I don't. I guess I'll be damned and do instead of damned and don't.

Telaran

aoe taunt?
    HaruSoul <Aftermath>
    i spam 1 on the tanks

Rift Disciple

incriminate

Rift Disciple

Not sure if those are serious or trollings, but realize its not a loss of threat after they've done damage - the mobs aggro them instantly.. before any aoe damage is done, the mobs haven't even finished loading on the screen and the dps are already dead.
    GM Rift Vendetta -- WarriorTank
    4/4 Dragons Bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Damned if I do, damned if I don't. I guess I'll be damned and do instead of damned and don't.

They have a very similar mechanic to greenscale adds because they inherit aggro. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Enokarda; 09-03-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Art is meant to upset people, science reassures them.
    ~Georges Braque

Champion of Telara

We had a similar issue.

Tell your players to not use any -Threat modifiers before the add phase, our Inquisitor used to get ***** only when he used -90% threat and that was a minute before adds spawned we even had him at the stairs doing nothing for that 1 minute, adds still focused him.

Obviously something was broken with the boss or the ability :>

Anyways to avoid anything of those, tell everyone to stand far away from the adds as they spawn, aka at range..apart from your tank.

The adds take a second or two to inherit threat and sometimes hit/run to random people close to them.

Anyways your situation is probably same as ours with the certain player(s) being focused by adds without touching them for no reason.

Cant really help you there but to say that it didnt happen the next day for us, so maybe a soft reset will help, but generally make sure noone is near/doing anything when the adds spawn and aoe them after the adds run to the tanks.

Rift Chaser

Its been said before but:

They inherit threat, not aggro. Just because you have aggro on a mob does not mean your threat is the highest. The words are not interchangeable.

It takes 120% threat for melee and 150% threat for ranged to take aggro away from whoever currently has it (I am saying this from memory and my numbers might be wrong). Since the adds inherit threat but not the aggro, they'll sometimes go after not the tank. Especially since this is a fight of constant tank swapping so building up real threat isn't happening as consistently as it would in another fight.
    Sinnyil <Harmless> - 50 Bahmi Warrior
    Former Guild Leader of <Play Nice>
    I like to speak from the heart, offer (often imperfect) advice, and spitball (sometimes terrible) ideas, and these opinions are solely my own and do not represent the views or strategies of <Harmless>.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnyil View Post
    Its been said before but:

They inherit threat, not aggro. Just because you have aggro on a mob does not mean your threat is the highest. The words are not interchangeable.

It takes 120% threat for melee and 150% threat for ranged to take aggro away from whoever currently has it (I am saying this from memory and my numbers might be wrong). Since the adds inherit threat but not the aggro, they'll sometimes go after not the tank. Especially since this is a fight of constant tank swapping so building up real threat isn't happening as consistently as it would in another fight.
    Actually I think it's 130% for both melee & ranged to take aggro over tank. And each time a tank taunts he inherits the threat of other tank, so threat should still be built up assuming one tank isn't really slacking.

But the rest is right, if the threat generation is a bit sloppy, one of your dps can end up with a higher threat than the tank without taking aggro (until adds spawn)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanol View Post
    Actually I think it's 130% for both melee & ranged to take aggro over tank. And each time a tank taunts he inherits the threat of other tank, so threat should still be built up assuming one tank isn't really slacking.

But the rest is right, if the threat generation is a bit sloppy, one of your dps can end up with a higher threat than the tank without taking aggro (until adds spawn)
    Each time a tank taunts, he inherits the threat of whoever is at the top of the threat table (which should be the other tank, but wouldn't be if that tank is slacking). To the OP, make sure your tanks aren't slacking on Matron threat, especially when it comes time to spawn those adds.
    Last edited by Prokofiova; 09-06-2011 at 11:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread