+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Single player instances

Quote Originally Posted by Jaelon View Post
    Hate it or love it, this is probably the future. Raids require too much work, and more importantly cooperation, on the part of a demographic that by nature is selfish.

Disagree with selfish? Look at the many, many posts by raiders who are angry that someone else has the same stuff they had last month. I will grant that not every single raider is completely ego-centric, but most of the posts I have read claiming to be raiders certainly are.

As far as the work and cooperation, if you have ever done a single raid, you know what I'm talking about. In the best of guilds, just getting everyone to the dance on time is no mean feat.
    /thread

10 char

Quote Originally Posted by Asono View Post
    I guess i'm the only person who completely fails to understand anyone who plays a "Massively Multiplayer Online RPG" purely for a single player experience.

This, to me, seems paradoxical. No?
    You've obviously never played any one of the number of wildly successful games on Facebook either I take it. Facebook, by design, is a system to connect with multiple people, and games like Farmville, Cityville, Mafia Wars, etc, etc are all basically "whack a mole" single player games where you can do a little interaction with your friends.

Also, as the Jaelon stated so well above, there is a huge difference between a 24 man raid and what most "solo players" like to do when they group ... ie a 5 man PUG, usually with their friends and guildmates, but don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to schedual and coordinate 24 people for hours, just to beat your head against the wall in the fight and fight to spend your DKP points for a CHANCE to get the one good item the boss drops.
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 09-12-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    You've obviously never played any one of the number of wildly successful games on Facebook either I take it.
    No, but i know of them. They're equally confusing to me. I guess i'm just a misaligned individual with little to no relation to my average fellow player. *Shrug* Gaming isn't what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    Also, as the Jaelon stated so well above, there is a huge difference between a 24 man raid and what most "solo players" like to do when they group ... ie a 5 man PUG, usually with their friends and guildmates, but don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to schedual and coordinate 24 people for hours, just to beat your head against the wall in the fight and fight to spend your DKP points for a CHANCE to get the one good item the boss drops.
    The value of the boss is not in the loot, it is in the triumphant moment on Ventrilo when that '20 man raid' and 'head bashing' pays off and you have achieved a finely tuned dance of teamwork and execution. The epics are just a tool to make it easier next time, and to make the next evildoer down the hallway a little closer to death. I humbly think i'm not alone in my view on this; it is a misconception that raiders raid for gear; the gear is a means to down the content, the reward of the content is the triumphant moments and social relationships developed out of the organizational commitments and time spent improving with each other.
    *Shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Vexille View Post
    If this is true Rift will become basically a FPS masquerading as an MMO.

It's not much of a jump, considering where the game is at now and the increasing movement towards tailoring the game to the instant gratification individual player.

It could be that Trion sees that segment of the marketplace as their key demographic. Moving away frm group and PvP content makes sense from a financial standpoint - they cost more to develop, test and maintain than solo content.
    For some reason All I see is words coming out of your arse. You made no sense and have no clue what so ever of what your talking about.

Whats this first line even mean... " If this is true Rift will become basically a FPS masquerading as an MMO. " Wtf? This is nowhere near a FPS(First Person Shooter).

Point proven.

They did good bringing out half teir chronicles. It helps the new 50's who can't get into t1's because theres just noone doing them anymore.
    <The Endless Court>
    Ovee - r4 Cleric | Skigoboom - r6 Warrior
    ^5/5 GSB - 4/4 ROS - 4/4 GP - 4/4 DH - 5/11 HK^

Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    I don't actually agree that just cus players group or raid it should be any more difficult than for a solo player. I have taken on some mighty challenges and bosses in my years of gaming, some of which took me weeks to work out how to tackle. In fact gaming generally outside of an MMO is much harder. I have done dungeons and they really are about durability generally and managing health. Everything happens so fast I'm not sure who knows who did what half the time. And if players just log and LFG with the upgrades on gear each time they do it, I'm guessing its quite natural that they will become even better at the dungeons. Purely cus of gear. For me that isn't what makes a game fun. Thats more like pressing a button all the time hoping you will be rewarded with a goodie. MMOs are seriously under developed when it comes to problem solving tactical battles and combat. The group is all that matters and the gear score even more so. So elitest gear hunting just feeds elitest gear hunting and that just leads to mindless grind. Always has done.

I don't play an MMO for the grind or dungeons or guilds or raiding or any of that. I play to pass the time in a fun way without the pressure of others. I don't play games to make friends, I play to get away from work and worries. So I don't load myself up with pressure in game, but I do like a challenge. I like working stuff out for myself and I would like to customise a team of NPCs to play along side me... like say in Final Fantasy. And I would like to learn how to augment skills through mechansms other than gear. The concept of gear is so outmoded now its the core destructive element in all MMOs. It needs overhauling badly. And the creative aspect of this game needs way more work.

A lot of talented, skillfull, dedicated players have nothing to do with the group play in MMOs. They don't make a fuss, they don't moan and they certainly don't annoy anyone. The fear is that any solo rewards will be exploited by the quick fix brigade that just want to have the best and sod the rest. That is the dilema and sadly Rift won't find the answer. The game is a formula game and has already lost. Sad really, I did think at one time it could have made for an interesting game. But it turned out to be just the same as WoW.

I will drift away from this game in a few months time, probably when I have taken all I can from it as a solo player. And the next game will be just the same... Unless someone actually comes up with a good game for a change.
    This doesn't sound like an MMORPG player though. You don't want to play an RPG with others, attempting to achieve a goal. You just want to play a game that will waste time and not make you think of work. Well there are a ton of games like that out there which aren't MMOs.

It sound like you want a single player RPGs - which isn't an MMO. I'm not dissing you, but I'm unsure of why you chose an MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dranzen View Post
    This doesn't sound like an MMORPG player though. You don't want to play an RPG with others, attempting to achieve a goal. You just want to play a game that will waste time and not make you think of work. Well there are a ton of games like that out there which aren't MMOs.

It sound like you want a single player RPGs - which isn't an MMO. I'm not dissing you, but I'm unsure of why you chose an MMORPG.
    Who has to explain to you why they chose a particular game... as long as ppl buy the game, pay their subs they're entitled to play the game any damn way they like.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by titansgrip View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. WotLK woes weren't due to casuals in purple gears.

Poorly designed dungeons, slow content delivery, inconsistencies and chase-your-tail class balancing were very negative to WotLK. Essentially, Bliz got sloppy with a game that was incredibly mature at that point.

The sweeping changes as of Cata to the core of their established class & dungeon deigns I feel are indicative of the fact Bliz realize the game maturity no longer supports the concepts of 2005 World of Warcraft.

Somewhat off topic, but I do not buy into your premise here w/r/t casual catering as the woes of World of Warcraft.
    WOTLK was the reason me and around 20 of my friends stopped playing, we realised WOW no longer had us in their demographic. We wanted hard content not easy. We ran out of content in 2 weeks of release and we were looking forward to a good challenge that TBC gave us. Of course once Blizzard had done that there is no going back which is why them trying to in the latest expansion is failing. They are now annoying those who prefer an easier game (including the new players who joined because of it) while the more hardcore like myself left long ago.

The biggest most damaging concept people seem to have is that casual want easy or that they can't play well or that Hardcore are good players. That is not always true. Often it is not. People play for a whole variety of reasons and have a whole variety of time they can do it. A smart developer will provide for them all which is what Trion seems to be doing.

We need to move away from this 'Game X should cater to the majority' crap as it is killing games right now and I think game companies are starting to realise that, Blizzard certainly has. A good game will cater to us all.
    Last edited by Zartanic; 09-13-2011 at 04:23 AM.

Will be interesting to see how much complaining takes place when these hit live from people who cannot solo them simply because they're under geared. By design they are initially for two players, and soloable only once you have the gear for it. Somehow I fear this notion will be lost on many who will immediately want the difficulty reduced.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Rift Disciple

Why to not scale soloable dungeons up to gears that are weared by entering persone? So if its fresh green then you will get blue items or occasionly purple... But if you run this dungeons 100 times or come there in with T3/lvl equip you will get chance to become Raid Lvl up to last tier of raid loot.

Who have problem with it? Beside nolivers who think its belongs only to them and sitting in ventrilo with 20 other people is harder then solo elite scaled up to yours gearlvl ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8