+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sicaron: the solo tank approach

Default sicaron: the solo tank approach

has anyone tried this yet? we're thinking about dabbling in it next week :P any thoughts?
    Frootloops. p40 warrior. Seastone. Forsaken. 11/11 hk 5/8 id
    Judgejudy. p28 mage. Seastone. Forsaken. chloro/dom pvp only
    My guides: | 1.8 PvP Build | Macro Guide

They don't have deathknights in this game yet, you can't solo anything. ;_;
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

Soulwalker

I think its possible. When we were just dabbling in this fight before we saw strats and stuff I tanked it until 80% solo a few times with way less gear than I have now. I have about 16.5k buffed as a war tank and think it would be rough, but a few more ups, maybe 17-18k hp yea its doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mure View Post
    I think its possible. When we were just dabbling in this fight before we saw strats and stuff I tanked it until 80% solo a few times with way less gear than I have now. I have about 16.5k buffed as a war tank and think it would be rough, but a few more ups, maybe 17-18k hp yea its doable.
    rough is pretty damn geared now.. i think it's definitely possible. the only reason we kinda figured it may be possible to tank the whole fight solo is because i dc'd for about 8% mid fight and again at the end of the fight on our kill last night.. it was pretty comical, rough and i were both ****ting bricks :P he did a great job though

You'd need a very consistent chain of blocks...Personally, I wouldn't allow it to be chanced like that when everyone is already teetering on the edge because ONE **** up, wipes the raid.

Are you having dps issues? otherwise i wouldnt see the need to drop a tank

Cleric Tank

Its possible, but highly risky. We have tried it occasionally (with no long term success) if we needed more dps or didnt have the tanks on. In other words, you might get away with it for a little while but for the whole fight is another story.

It pretty much comes down to 2 factors.

1: You probably will need a dedicated cleric healer rotating cooldowns for breaths, since you cant exactly "Stack" chloro MT healers. And you need a decent amount of "consistent" (key word), AoE backup healing.

2: You need a tank with insane block and survivability. In the end it will come down to if your lucky enough to have the tank block enough to make it viable. If the tank goes through a bad phase of non blocks your as good as screwed.

In other words... it could be done but would involve a TON of luck, along with a CRAZY geared tank, and SPOT ON healing and cooldown usage. Throw in the RNG bubble factor and purge fun and trying to solo tank the bastad makes for a hell of an interesting time.
    Last edited by No_Exit; 09-02-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Exit View Post
    Its possible, but highly risky. We have tried it occasionally (with no long term success) if we needed more dps or didnt have the tanks on. In other words, you might get away with it for a little while but for the whole fight is another story.

It pretty much comes down to 2 factors.

1: You probably will need a dedicated cleric healer rotating cooldowns for breaths, since you cant exactly "Stack" chloro MT healers. And you need a decent amount of "consistent" (key word), AoE backup healing.

2: You need a tank with insane block and survivability. In the end it will come down to if your lucky enough to have the tank block enough to make it viable. If the tank goes through a bad phase of non blocks your as good as screwed.

In other words... it could be done but would involve a TON of luck, along with a CRAZY geared tank, and SPOT ON healing and cooldown usage. Throw in the RNG bubble factor and purge fun and trying to solo tank the bastad makes for a hell of an interesting time.
    haha. yeah thats really why we want to do it. no dps issues at all, we just wanna see if we can.

I think you would be better off to just come up with a "better" OT. Since they aren't tanking anything and your splitting "physical" damage a cleric tank or maybe a freeze armor debuff hybrid. Seems better to come up with a improved support tank as OT then remove the OT all together.
    Last edited by Ballads; 09-02-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballads View Post
    I think you would be better off to just come up with a "better" OT. Since they aren't tanking anything and your splitting "physical" damage a cleric tank or maybe a freeze armor debuff hybrid. Seems better to come up with a improved support tank as OT then remove the OT all together.
    naa that sounds lame
    and they def take damage lol
    goin for the full monty next week

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quietmode View Post
    Are you having dps issues? otherwise i wouldnt see the need to drop a tank
    No, I just think it is an interesting idea to try. I ate about 4 breaths during his d/c and didn't really take THAT much damage. It would be on a cooldown rotation where two wouldn't be that bad, and one I would just need extreme heals. We don't stack chloros so we have the clerics to heal through it.

Plane Touched

In my guild we've been solo tanking the breaths since the start. Except we still use two tanks and rotate cool downs between the two.

It is quite simple till someone forgets to pop a CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiz View Post
    In my guild we've been solo tanking the breaths since the start. Except we still use two tanks and rotate cool downs between the two.

It is quite simple till someone forgets to pop a CD.
    are you in aftermath? I heard they did it like that.

Soulwalker

Wait, if you solo tank the breath then why would you need a 2nd tank or need to rotate cooldowns on said 2nd tank that is taking no damage? Is it dual 44 pally or something?
    Last edited by Mure; 09-02-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mure View Post
    Wait, if you solo tank the breath then why would you need a 2nd tank or need to rotate cooldowns on said 2nd tank that is taking no damage? Is it dual 44 pally or something?
    I'm assuming one takes boss and uses CDs til hes out of CD's other taunts and does same and they rotate

Cleric Tank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast